Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 344449505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Recently got myself hyped up for the X-Men Apocalypse movie by rereading The Rise of Apocalypse graphic novel. Also I've been reacquainting myself with titles from the Age of Apocalypse event that happened in 1995. That's when the X-titles were renamed for 4 months. Observe:

Uncanny X-Men = Astonishing X-Men
    X-Men = Amazing X-Men
    X-Force = Gambit & the X-Ternals
    Generation X = Generation Next
    X-Factor = Factor-X
    Wolverine = Weapon X
    Xcalibur = X-Calibre
    Cable = X-Man

Finally finished reading all the latest Deadpool comics. There are three running at the moment:

Deadpool
    Deadpool & the Mercs for Money
    Deadpool and Spiderman

Ironically I'm enjoying the main Deadpool comic the least as it's the most serious. He is rarely funny or dangerously insane whereas the other two are more Deadpool'ish.

I still miss him having 2 voices in his head - for me those were the best!

There's a pretty good sale on digital Marvel comics on Amazon (where you buy for Kindle and can link to your Comixology account). Most collections are around the $4 mark - including pretty recent releases.

I'm trying to make the most of the sale, racking my brain to find books I've wanted to read or have a copy of. Even considering replacing some of my physical books with the cheap digital replacements.

I thought the movie was kinda average :/

Any recommendations on x-men comics to read?
    thinking of something like maybe the dark phoenix thing,
    is that a bit of a classic and is it easily available in a collection? Honestly I find getting into stuff like Marvel and DC very daunting because there are so many "universes" and retcons etc over the years I would have no idea where to begin and am worried jumping in somewhere would just be overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Recently got myself hyped up for the X-Men Apocalypse movie by rereading The Rise of Apocalypse graphic novel. Also I've been reacquainting myself with titles from the Age of Apocalypse event that happened in 1995. That's when the X-titles were renamed for 4 months. Observe:

Uncanny X-Men = Astonishing X-Men
    X-Men = Amazing X-Men
    X-Force = Gambit & the X-Ternals
    Generation X = Generation Next
    X-Factor = Factor-X
    Wolverine = Weapon X
    Xcalibur = X-Calibre
    Cable = X-Man

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    I thought the movie was kinda average :/

Any recommendations on x-men comics to read?
    thinking of something like maybe the dark phoenix thing,
    is that a bit of a classic and is it easily available in a collection? Honestly I find getting into stuff like Marvel and DC very daunting because there are so many "universes" and retcons etc over the years I would have no idea where to begin and am worried jumping in somewhere would just be overwhelming.
    When it comes to X-Men I can give you recommendations a plenty (looks at my bookshelf full of every issue of Uncanny X-Men as a starter). Let me have a think and I'll give you some things that work well standalone. Any particular characters you like or want to read more about?

The Dark Phoenix Saga collection is always in print and is about $4 digitally on Amazon at the moment. Read by itself I think it might not be as strong as it is as when read as the conclusion to the story that started with the All-New All-Different X-Men relaunch - but there's no (cheap) way to pick all that up (GS1, 94-137) at the moment. Maybe it's all on Marvel Unlimited.

^ yep Marvel Unlimited has the full run from #94 onwards.

Another way could be the Marvel Essentials collections. They are in b&w but cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    ^ yep Marvel Unlimited has the full run from #94 onwards.

Another way could be the Marvel Essentials collections. They are in b&w but cheap.
    You'd think so, but they are out of print (replaced with the Epic collections). I spent quite some time trying to get the final printing of the Essential X-Men Vol 1 but could never find any store that had it or didn't have it for a huge markup.

(I bought and still have the first printing but it left out the cliffhanger at the end. I've since got the Epic and the Omnibus )

I have been tempted to get onboard with Marvel Unlimited. One day.

I've been reading Peter J. Tomasi's Superman Rebirth, easily my favorite title now that Flintstones has finished up. Christopher Priest's Deathstroke Rebirth is also really good.

so "uncanny x-men" from issue 94 to 137 is what i want? are they all in one collection and is it available digitally? i generally use comixology on my tablet.

From the wikipedia entry for all-new x-men:

Following the events of the Battle of the Atom story arc, the time-displaced X-Men, led by Kitty Pryde, moved to the modern day Cyclops's New Xavier School following a disagreement with the Jean Grey School X-Men members.[7] They would be joined a few issues later by X-23, who had just survived the events of Avengers Arena. The team then took to space in a crossover event, "The Trial of Jean Grey", with Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy series as part of All-New Marvel NOW!.[8] Following the crossover, the young time-displaced Cyclops was spun off to his own solo series, Cyclops, which had him and his father, Corsair, journey through outer space together.[9] After the series is cancelled upon the end of the Inhumans vs X-Men story line, the story of the All-New X-Men is continued in the new series X-Men Blue
    how the hell are you supposed to get into that lol