Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Toyfair Australia - notes (pics to come)

Default 2012 Toyfair Australia - notes (pics to come)

Typically, right when I need to upload files to the toycollectors.com.au server, I can't... so will just type up the info first, and post up the pics later when I can fix the problem.

Put simply, it was a really small display for Transformers this year. The last few years it was the dominant brand, and even saw a huge presentation at the American Toyfair last month. But here, it was limited to a very small range of figures.
    And I wasn't allowed to photograph any of the Kreo, as they only had the rough samples that Toyfair Germany was using, not the more polished versions at Toyfair America. (They had packaging there though, so I was able to obtain all the missing details the American Transfan sites had missed while they were more focussed on taking pics of the action figures)

Primary emphasis this year is TFPrime. Of the approximately 50 action figures they had in their display, about 30 were TFPrime toys, about 20 were BotShots, and only 3 Generations toys were on display.
    And those Generations toys were the first wave figures - Jazz, Shockwave, Optimus.

Nothing new was revealed this year, that wasn't already shown at the US or German Toyfairs, but I think some new packaging was ready for our Toyfair, so I took some front and back photos of packaging I hadn't seen before.

Only the first wave or two of TFPrime was there, from the Legion, Commander, Deluxe, Voyager and the new Weaponizers.
    The Bot Shots toys were all just first wave items, from the single packs, triple packs, and launchers. Plus the first two remote-controlled figures (Bumblebee & Knock Out) were there to play with as well.

The TV screen was playing a series of commercials for the different sub-lines for this year, plus a clip promoting the brand itself, saying that they've made 5 Billion in retails sales since 2007 worldwide, and 2.6 Billion at the Box Office.

There is a competition through the Australian Transformers website (finally... we have a Hasbro-run competition/promotion here), requiring purchase and then registration at transformers.com.au
    Promotion runs from March 5th (already running I guess) to April 29th.
    There are daily prizes, with the main prize being a trip for 4 to Universal Studios America, in time for the Transformers Ride to launch.
    Flyers will be in stores, which has the competition details on one side, and a travel package advertisement on the other side.

Generations - both waves for this year will be released around September here. Should get both waves.

TFPrime Vehicle playsets - May.
    Optimus Maximus - September.
    Weaponizers - September.

Bot Shots were mentioned to have "online play" by one of the reps, but I didn't get clarification on if that is true or not, as the main BotShots site doesn't have our region as an option.

Movie Trilogy series (the ones only available to Hasbro Asia) will NOT be coming here. Stores were keen, but Hasbro AUS couldn't get product made for them.

We WILL be getting the Optimus w/ Trailer as a store exclusive here though (store to be revealed later), in July.

Kreo Series 2 - September.
    Kreo Series 1 - (last year's sets) will continue to ship to stores, but the bigger sets will be at selected chains only, as exclusives.

Kreo Devastator set - 4 robots/vehicles (Scrapper, Drillbit, Hightower, Scavenger) with a Devastator Kreon. 560 pieces.

Kreo will be more battle & playset themed this year, Vs "build" theme of last year.

Star Wars Transformers - Class 1 (small size) looks to be the only general release size in Australia now. The two larger sizes are expected to become store exclusives from about July. (probably not intentional, as other store chains may have dropped the line, leaving one left as "exclusive")

Rescue Bots will continue, but the cartoon is still not expected here.

As for the non-Transformers stuff...
    Battleship Kreo is expected out about April, with the Movie.
    As expected, they are excited about the recent signing up of the Star Trek license for Kreo in 2013.

The new Avengers line up was shown (I have a pic), as well as more Star Wars and Spiderman. Spiderman has a small set of toys that are identical to the concept and appearance of Gen1 Jumpstarters (I took a pic).

And for all you Bronys out there... I got a couple quick shots of the MLP display for you...

Lego wouldn't let me in this year, so no details of their product line-up for 2012 I'm afraid.

Mega Blocks did though, and if things go according to plan, we might see them utilising us as an outlet for future & current product info (for their popular lines like Halo, Smurfs, etc)... as they don't have anything locally to disseminate and hype up their collectable products.
    They had shown a few new big items coming out for this year, plus, new diecast figures and vehicles - which have moulded into them the building-block detailing.
    New for this year though, is World of Warcraft from Mega Blocks, which also looked very nice.

Ikon collectables also had a decent range of Halo action figures coming out this year, to compliment their growing Doctor Who merchandise range (which included lego-styled sets and mini-figures - so everyone is taking on Lego now).

Pics soon, hopefully.

Sad to read that Hasbro AU cannot even put the merchandise into stores that stores want, (Movie trilogy figures) is it really that small and weak a market here in Australia?

So its a few waves of Prime to last us 9 months of the year, before September releases for everything else? That sounds like bad planning in the Australian retail cycle. If hasbro does not have new or newish stock on shelves around June and July they will lose alot of retail space to the other big brands (thinking Avengers, lego, Mega blocks), from which it will be hard to reclaim
    Going on the poor treatment and support the stores have had from Hasbro with the movie figures who can blame them if they choose to limit the TF section down to half a shelf of one line or less?

Here's hoping that megablocks do start to use these forums as an advertising hotspot, I haven't bought many sets, but the Mariokart ones I own were well designed and fun builds.

Thanks for the hard work and report from the event Griff.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Hmmm, interesting reaading there...

On the bad side, just the Prime toys to keep me going until Generations in Spetember... Although I guess that means that the playsets should be easy enough to get a hold of.

On the plus side, since we have been in an essential Transformers drought for so long, I am used to not having anything interesting to look at in the shops.

At least the missus will be happy, as I won't be dragging her around the toys shops looking for/at new stuff...

Thanks for the info there griff, the Mega Blocks side of things is an interesting situation. Both for Ozformers and MB in general. I am kind of interested in the World of Warcraft Mega blocks. Hee hee hee.

No word on the Joe's?

No Joes at all. And I didn't remember the new movie to ask.

No love for Joes? Bah humbug.

I appreciate all the extra info on non-TF toys and look forward to the photos.
    Shame about the movie triology, but if they couldn't get the product, that sounds like it might be very limited runs and we should preorder early.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Photos are up...

For some reason, the free wifi at the Convention Center, wouldn't let me log into my server (perhaps their internet doesn't like ftp addresses), so had to use my mobile BB back at the hotel room... which ran out before I could upload all the pics... Or even post up the photos to this site.
    So I went across the road from the hotel to the Southern Cross Railway station (as I was told there was free wifi there), but no free wifi... so walked all the way back to the convention centre, to post up the photos I had uploaded, and was able to upload the rest by logging into my domain's control panel instead.
    So... after a couple hours mucking around, everything is now up from the Toyfair for your enjoyment.

(now, when I get home tomorrow, I'll upload and post pics of the Easter merchandise Demonac and I found yesterday)

Aww, no GI Joe? I hope we're not skipping the entire line.

Thanks for the write-up griffin.

Can't believe how quiet things have got following three blockbuster movies.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]