Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by gekisou View Post
    I used to watch a lot of NBA til about the time Jordan retired. Played a bit too and then recently again though an injury has made that impossible.
    Watched the last season of NBA and was disappointed when the Lakers won (go Suns!).
    Workin' for PRIME TV who support the Canberra Capitals (local Women's team) so I will be watching more of their games when they play at home cos the Womens' Basketball season has started up again.
    Laker fan here. Suns are fun to watch but probably couldn't beat the celts.
    Love Nash and Hill.
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp
    I'd rather see it as unsportsmanlike foul
    There is no such thing as an unsportsmanlike foul anymore. It has been taken out of the rulebook. Any unsportsmanlike foul is called as an intentional foul.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp
    I'm not sure which spirit you are talking about. But the team from behind only wants to foul you to stop the clock and make you shoot free throws. That's it. To give them a chance for a shot to win.
    Basketball is a NON-CONTACT sport. 'Wanting' to foul under any circumstances is not in the spirit of the game. It's a poor strategy to foul to stop a fast break.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    There is no such thing as an unsportsmanlike foul anymore. It has been taken out of the rulebook. Any unsportsmanlike foul is called as an intentional foul.

Basketball is a NON-CONTACT sport. 'Wanting' to foul under any circumstances is not in the spirit of the game. It's a poor strategy to foul to stop a fast break.
    It's still being called now (unsportsmanlike).

When I play against a bigger guy and more skilled player, the only recourse is to foul with no help defense. That's why you have penalties for having too many fouls. I guess it's a cultural difference.

Poor strategy worked when the pistons beat LA. Shaq was so dominant that Hack a Shaq defense was created and employed by many teams.

I would never call basketball a non-contact sport. Even netball has that

Basketball is officially a non-contact sport and if you're playing in a comp that still has unsportsmanlike fouls then the association and the referees need to go back and read the rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    Basketball is officially a non-contact sport and if you're playing in a comp that still has unsportsmanlike fouls then the association and the referees need to go back and read the rulebook.
    Unsportsman and professional mean the same, who really cares what name they use, it is the same thing, and results in the same penalty.

There is nothing wrong with an intentional foul to waste time/ win a game, as long as that intentional foul is not dangerous (hand contact on arm, rather than a head shot).

Netball, hockey and soccer are also non contact sports, but anyone who has played them knows that they are full contact, just that the intention of any contact is meant to be the ball, rather than the player (ala the football codes).
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

http://basketball.net.au/index.php?id=359

2010 rules still have unsportsmanlike fouls

I guess officially and reality differ in calling basketball a non-contact sport.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    http://basketball.net.au/index.php?id=359

2010 rules still have unsportsmanlike fouls

I guess officially and reality differ in calling basketball a non-contact sport.
    My apologies. I had it backwards. There is no such thing as an intentional foul anymore. Referees have been instructed to deem all intentional fouls as unsportsmanlike.
    Quote Originally Posted by FIBA
    If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally
    in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the
    offensive player and the opponents’ basket, it is an unsportsmanlike foul.

What do you think about those power ERG wristbands? Do they work?
    Where to buy decent knee supports?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    What do you think about those power ERG wristbands? Do they work?
    I think they may be a mental thing, if they truly worked eve a fraction as well as they say they should, every athlete would wear them / they would be banned in any formal competition.

Cant wait for the Rockets vs. Nets game in China tonight, Yao is finally getting some game time.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

they are expensive ($55 rebel sport) and I did see NBA players wear them during the post-season.