Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Quote Originally Posted by Akky82 View Post
    1600 give or take (including win10) have to replace the hard drive in my laptop to hand-me-down it to my wife because her old hand-me-down laptop is pretty much gone (battery, screen, some keys (damn kids heh), slow as). My laptop has a small ssd (older 190MB/s ~225GB) at the moment, it wont be enough for her.
    Ok, so here's a list that should be good for you that's under budget. Note I used PC Case Gear for the prices as they are not the cheapest therefore keeping it 100% under budget. So since you're in Brisbane going into you're local Umart should let you get them cheaper as Umart is a cheaper retailer.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xgrMFt

I went with the 8600K as although there are people that are screaming "6 threads isn't enough" when you actually look at benchmarks single core clock is king and there is no real difference between the 8700K and 8600K.

The Noctua cooler you went with is perfectly adequate for a 5ghz overclock at 1.35ish volts which is a very safe overclock. You won't have your CPU go up in smoke with that speed and voltage.

The Strix motherboard is Asus and it's a very highly guarded one.

The memory you went with is fine for gaming.

While there is nothing wrong with a 970 Evo, by going to a MX500 you get double the capacity for a similar price and the extra speed of the 970 Evo is lost on non-data heavy workloads like gaming and operating systems.

The WD Black is faster but it's loud, the WD Blue is quiet but incredibly slow. The WD Red however is quiet, fairly fast and super reliable.

The case is your choice but the Meshify C is cheap, looks amazing and is highly regarded.

PSU is where you don't want to cheap out. A bad PSU will literally kill your components so a very highly regarded brand like Corsair or SeaSonic is much preferable.

Windows 10 Home is all you need, don't waste your money on Pro.

It's been about 7 years since I last upgraded my PC so decided to treat myself:

Intel I5 8500
    Gigabyte H370 Aorus Gaming 3 motherboard
    16GB Corsair 2400 RAM
    Galax 1070ti

Everything runs nice and smoothly, given I'm only on 1080p...my next step will be a 1440 monitor.

Nice, it's now 6 months I think, since I seriously contemplated replacing our PC, and I'm still not there. too many other distractions and tasks for the fam.

It's double backed up though so I'm safe in that regard.

if I make it another few months that will officially be a 10 year refresh cycle.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Ok, so here's a list that should be good for you that's under budget. Note I used PC Case Gear for the prices as they are not the cheapest therefore keeping it 100% under budget. So since you're in Brisbane going into you're local Umart should let you get them cheaper as Umart is a cheaper retailer.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xgrMFt

I went with the 8600K as although there are people that are screaming "6 threads isn't enough" when you actually look at benchmarks single core clock is king and there is no real difference between the 8700K and 8600K.

The Noctua cooler you went with is perfectly adequate for a 5ghz overclock at 1.35ish volts which is a very safe overclock. You won't have your CPU go up in smoke with that speed and voltage.

The Strix motherboard is Asus and it's a very highly guarded one.

The memory you went with is fine for gaming.

While there is nothing wrong with a 970 Evo, by going to a MX500 you get double the capacity for a similar price and the extra speed of the 970 Evo is lost on non-data heavy workloads like gaming and operating systems.

The WD Black is faster but it's loud, the WD Blue is quiet but incredibly slow. The WD Red however is quiet, fairly fast and super reliable.

The case is your choice but the Meshify C is cheap, looks amazing and is highly regarded.

PSU is where you don't want to cheap out. A bad PSU will literally kill your components so a very highly regarded brand like Corsair or SeaSonic is much preferable.

Windows 10 Home is all you need, don't waste your money on Pro.
    Just an update here, finished the build 2 weeks ago, I went with the rog strix, 8600k, 16gb, corsair psu, fractal meshify c and crucial 500gb.

Haven't bought another hdd yet though, the list from partpicker had no price for the psu so was actually over budget but besides that I also went for the corsair hydro h115i just on a whim after seeing the box for the noctua cooler and being told yeah its huge.

It was a tight fit, about 5mm between the fans on the rad and the gtx1080 but it all looks great, spent a lot of time making sure it was neat, good changes since I last built a PC (the cables routing through the bottom/back of the case and popping through holes to the mobo for one).

So far so good, havent seen my graphics card above 64 degrees or any core over about 35 (avg about 28-29). Thanks for your help, my sister in law who tuns a computer shop (but just buys from msy/umart anyway) asked me to buy stuff and get her to put it together but i did it all myself and surprised her (wasnt hard), also replaced the keyboard/hdd on my old laptop to hand it down to my wife.

Glad I could help.

New Nvidia GPUs are being announced next week at Gamescom in Germany. So now is a really bad time to buy a GPU.

Unless you're looking for a discounted current gen model
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

So Nvidia's little unveil is tonight. It looks like the launch will be really soon after the reveal which is very unusual for Nvidia. And they probably will never do a launch like it again because the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti have been leaked all over the internet for both Nvidia Founders Edition parts and the AIB partner cards which normally come months after the announcement.

The only mystery at this point is what are the cards going to be clocked at. If they are clocked the same as the 1080 and 1080 Ti we should get a nice little bump but nothing amazing (10 to 12%). If they are clocked higher we could get a massive leap in performance.

Founders Edition

Gigabyte

Asus

EVGA

PNY

Zotac

MSI

Palit

https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/products/store/

Nvidia wants how much for a 2080 Ti??????

Lol, my entire upgrade about 8 posts up cost that much