View Poll Results: Loyal Subjects Series 2 figurines - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 30.00%
  • Only if...

3 30.00%
  • No

3 30.00%
  • Not even interested

1 10.00%

Thread: Promo Review - Transformers Loyal Subjects Series 2

Default Promo Review - Transformers Loyal Subjects Series 2

Donated by Banter Toys, who are the distributors of these in Australia, and should be out this month in the usual sources of the first series (some
    Toyworlds, EB games, and other collectable stores noted here).
    This review will be moved to the Review section after a couple weeks. It is just highlighting these products in return for giving us these samples for free.

With that disclaimer out of the way, since these are free and I'll be giving them away later (in some sort of competition), I may not be as critical as I
    would be if I had bought these... because I'm not one for buying much merchandise. (it's expensive enough just buying the toys)

These were noted at Toyfair to be about $15 in stores, so keep that in mind while reading my comments and viewing my photos.

So on Monday afternoon I get this box in the mail, and inside is a master carton of 16 Loyal Subjects figures... which was totally unexpected, as
    they only said that they were sending some Topps Trading Cards to review. (which will be in another Promo Review topic)
    Which means today (it's still Tuesday for me) I had to put my BotCon review on hold so that I can give these the attention they deserved.

The box is a really nice, solid, nice (yes, I said it twice) case... that I'm tempted to keep just for display.
    I think it even looks nicer than the Autobot themed Series One box.

(Take note of all the yellow "splashes" everywhere, that mentions a "Talking Optimus Prime"... as we'll be talking about that shortly.)

On the side of the box are the statistical probabilities of each character in Series 2.
    1 per 8 - Shockwave, Sideswipe, Slag, Thrust, Ramjet, Shrapnel, Sideswipe. (so, could be 2 per master carton)
    1 per 16 - Mirage, Optimus Prime (could be 1 per master carton)
    1 per 24 - Mystery figure that is supposed to be Dirge (should be 1 for each 1.5 master cartons)
    1 per 96 - Mystery figure that is supposed to be Skywarp (should end up being 1 for every 6!!! master cartons)

I can understand hiding the identity of the chase figures, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a silhouette of Optimus if that is being
    promoted quite heavily all over the master carton AND the blind boxes.

Not sure why Mirage is the same ratio as a Chase figure (Optimus), but it might have something to do with this year's SDCC 3-pack having a
    transparent Mirage (with a Gen2 Sideswipe and Smokescreen).
    A shame about Skywarp being the rarest chase, despite being a much more popular Seeker than Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge, which are more common.
    Actually... that was a stupid decision by Loyal Subjects, making it impossible or very expensive to complete people's set of first year Seekers,
    and I hope they get a lot of hate mail over shafting the greater number of fans of Skywarp than the other 2nd year Seekers/Coneheads.

These are what the figure boxes look like... with more splashes of yellow.

But what is on the yellow splash that is everywhere?
    "Talking Optimus Prime. Three 3-second phrases."
    No mention of it relating to just a limited chase figure of just 6.25% chance of finding, nor any disclaimer that it doesn't have anything to do with
    93.75% of every box it is printed on. Instead, it ends up implying that every box must have a mini talking Optimus figurine with each 3-inch vinyl
    figure.... or that this was a master case of just talking Optimus Primes.
    (and it was that second idea that I started to think must be the case, as
    the first two boxes I opened had Optimus in it... but then I soon realised this was not the case)

Not good of Loyal Subjects to promote this feature as if it is a regular element, not a 6% chance element.

So, on to opening up each box to see what these were like. (I'd never bought or seen any of these up close before, so I was quite excited to get
    a good, first-hand look)
    As noted above, the first two boxes I opened were Electronic Optimus Prime... making me think that this must have been a master carton of
    Optimus Primes (because every box had the yellow splash, saying that each box has a Talking Optimus Prime in it).
    But opening up the next three figures (Sideswipe, Slag, Shockwave), I realised that I was just lucky to find two Chase figures in the first two
    boxes I opened.
    Then the next two boxes also had Electronic Optimus Primes in them, making it four out of seven... that's nine times better than the ratio on the box!
    It proves that it is random filling of the master carton, but I think collectors might like the assurity of having the 15 regular figures noted on
    the side of the box (since there is only 1 per 16 of Mirage), with the last place in every master carton filled by a Chase... allowing people to buy a
    master carton to be sure of a full set plus at least one chase (and 7 spares to trade off or sell).

With the eighth box I opened having another Shockwave, the first half of the master carton was having me worried that I wouldn't even get a full
    set of the regular figures. But with so many Chase Optimus Primes so far, I started to get hopeful that I might get another of the other Chases. (I
    know someone who'd give Dirge a good home, while Skywarp would have a lot of demand for it as well)

I proceeded to open the remaining eight boxes...
    Ramjet
    Prowl
    a second Slag
    Shrapnel
    a second Ramjet
    a second Prowl (only two boxes left, and still two "regular" figures yet to be found... I was getting worried, as it would leave this review with a gaping hole)
    Mirage
    aaaand, a second Sideswipe
    (leaving me without a Thrust... so just use your imagination for that missing element of this review, as it would be similar to Ramjet)

So after the initial excitement of having four Electronic Optimus Primes, it was a bit of a letdown to not end up having a complete set of the 8 regulars.

Each figure inside the boxes is inside a foil bag, and if the figure has extra parts or weapons those will be in a plastic bag inside the foil bag as well.
    Also in each foil bag is a biocard for each character.

The Electronic Optimus was a pleasant surprise, and probably a great first figure to open.
    The moment I took it out of its foil bag, I noticed a black button on its right side... which I pressed, giving one of three phrases. (a youtube video
    I did of the figure speaking)
    - I am Optimus Prime
    - The Decepticons must be stopped
    - Autobots, transform and roll out.

The figure came with a gun and an orange axe, but since this was my first of these figurines, I wasn't game enough to pull apart the figurine to insert
    the axe... and there were no instructions to reassure me that I could pull it apart without risk of breaking it. Some of the other figures had come apart
    before I opened them, so I was able to know later how the limbs were attached (a small ball on peg in a socket).
    I think I might keep an Optimus, as I have an interest in merchandise that has authentic Peter Cullen phrases.
    Unfortunately on the back of the boxes, it states that the batteries only last a limited amount of time, and can not be replaced... so when mine falls
    silent, I will be sad.

Ramjet and his parts...

Sideswipe and his parts - I don't see the point of the chest piece, as the chest is already painted like a car front... and if it has an ugly hole there,
    why paint the chest like that?
    The shoulder cannon could have been left out as well, as it doesn't fit too well on the figure, but does go with the cutesy look.

Slag with a lot of extra parts - dino head, dino tail, "wing" kibble, gun, sword. Very impressive. (fans aren't too happy with kibble on their toys,
    but you'd be upset if it was NOT included on the merchandise)

Prowl with his door kibble.

And Shrapnel, who had a plug-in backpack and two plug-in pincers.

The other three didn't have add-on parts for the robot mode, and Shockwave didn't even have any accessories... making it feel like the
    "cheapest" of the set.

It is worth mentioning that one of the four Optimus figures I got, had a different gun to the others. Three were rounded with dimples all around the
    end of the barrel, while one was square with no dimples under the barrel. The square gun was also in a separate plastic bag to the axe, and has a
    bigger fist post, which is too big for the Optimus fists. So when I looked online I noticed that the First Series Optimus had a square gun and bigger
    fists, making me think that some of the First Series guns were accidentally packed in with Second Series figures... which now can't hold them unless
    you really jam it in there and risk breaking the fist. So be aware of this if you are collecting these figures, and be careful if you get a square gun
    (either trim it down, or maybe contact the supplier to exchange it for a round Second Series gun).

Each figure has a biocard, which are really nicely done re-writes of their original bios.
    The BIG problem though, is that they are scrunched up in the foil bag with the figures, so none of them come out flat. (at least none were totally
    ruined, so just stick them under some heavy books for a few days to flatten them)

As noted above, some of the figures had come apart before they were removed from their foil bags, and it was usually the main waist joint.
    Unfortunately, since the vinyl plastic is a bit flexible, it is very difficult to insert the ball into the socket, due to the resistance pushing the peg far
    enough back to not lock into the socket before the two flat panels make contact. As such, a couple of the figures remain so loose, that they can't
    stay attached.
    (and one of the promotional images/gimmicks is the inter-change the body parts... but I wouldn't recommend doing this, because once you pull apart
    the waist segment, there's a good chance it won't go back in completely to hold together)
    Apparently the removable parts/limbs was a design introduced with this Second Series, to give more movement/play.

Another disappointment in this set was having the second Shockwave coming out of the foil bag with half an ear loose in the bag... which will
    need gluing as it won't stay on.

The seven regular figures and two of the Optimus figures (one with axe, one without).

From the back.

And from the side.

I really like the detailing of these figures, and the fun of constructing some of them... but if they didn't have so many primary characters as chase
    figures and American exclusives, I'd now be looking to collect them all after getting these.
    So it is your gain that I am not getting too attached to these, as they will end up being given away to Ozformers Members... when I get time.

Great representations of characters for fans who collect character toys and merchandise, and if they are $15 here, it is probably worth it for that
    one or two favourites most will want... but the price-point is too high for a "blind pack" concept, as they aren't cheap enough to be buying enough
    boxes to find your preferred character(s), or, to try to complete a set.

Not my kind of thing (unless they end up doing a Beachcomber), but I know that these have already had a bit of demand from fans, at least on
    the secondary market once you know what is inside the box... so hopefully some of these photos and comments have interested some extra people in these.

For more information about the licensed Transformers products being distributed in Australia by Banter.

For images of all nine figures in Series Two, check out the official Loyal Subjects site.

I forgot to mention something... but having it in a second posting will make this easier to spot.

I haven't quite worked out the finer details of this yet, but wanted to get it started right away - as I want to give away the rest of the figurines, and a competition is best.
    Specific details and the closing date to be noted later. (maybe even requiring winners to pay for postage... depending on how many end up being won)

So, if you are wanting one of these, post here why you are collecting Loyal Subjects figures, or why you are planning to collect them (or even just specific figures in the second series and why).

The more interesting it is the better, because if there are more posts than figurines, I will have to choose the more deserving ones (people who put the most effort into their entry/posting).

I quite like obscure looking G1 based figures and hence have a small collection of Mighty Mugs, Series 1 Loyal Subjects and more recently Kids Logic Mini Figures. I'm not looking at collecting the whole series of the Loyal Subjects toys but I do have a particular fondness for Sideswipe. It started as a kid, envying my Brother at first for having the G1 toy and reveling with joy a few years later when he gave it to me
    Love the name SIDESWIPE.....love his colour scheme, his alt mode is pure perfection and I especially like the reckless and hot headed attitude he portrays in his animation appearances. I would be glad to add the Loyal Subjects version of Sideswipe to my humble collection

Thanks for the review
    Probably not something I would purchase - if I was given a Thrust I would be happy (or had some way of just purchasing a Thrust in store without using eBay)

That reminds me of something I noticed when pulling out the figures - they had all the original names and were Trademarked, making me wonder why Hasbro don't use "Shrapnel" with their recent Generations and Kreo figures.

And seeing "Slag" was a bit of a surprise too, as these are globally released and are representing the Hasbro brand... so I wouldn't have thought Hasbro would have approved the use of the name.

Cross-license items appeal to me (e.g. Disney Label, Gari-Kun popsicle Prime, Potato Head TFs etc.) as the visual aesthetics of these short-lived lines tend to fall outside the 'look and feel' of mainline TFs, which have by and large been consistent over 3 decades with the exception of Animated and Prime.

Adapting TF characters for urban vinyl is a fantastic instance of that cross-over appeal. I especially like the Loyal Subjects Coneheads as their alt-mode is clearly observable in their robot mode. Also, their parts interchangeability reminds me of an earlier cross-over line, Myclone.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

I loves these guys, even though the first series pretty much has the same base body... they injected so much life and G1 personality into the head and weapon sculpts. I'm fortunate enough to have a series 1 Soundwave, Jazz and Bumblebee on my desk at work...and I have a duplicate Soundwave in front of me as I type this. At 15.00 a pop for a blind bag, they are on the expensive side, but then again they are good looking little pieces...alas my white whale, Grimlock continues to elude me, and for this reason I'm graciously putting my hat in the ring for the Slag fig...cause If I squint enough, it will seem like Grimmy's here with me :P ( and Slag's cool in his own right too).

the slag look pretty cool, love the kibble wings and the red horns ...also having the correct black head ! Never really like the red one .... i wouldn't mind having him sitting on my desk ... He was my first transformer figure along with smokescreen so you always have fond memories , that why we all still collecting hey i try to get g1 related thing of him , but i wouldn't buy a blind box just for a chance of getting him and not really interested in the others .....

I dig the Optimus Prime, purely because it'd look great next to the Decepticons I got from wave 1! The new gun is a great touch, as weapon size was a real issue with the first series. To that end...

I like the improvements to these figures over the first series - a better range of add on parts that further distinguish the characters, notably Sideswipe. Really cool effort on the part of TLS. They look sturdier, better detailed, better built, and better articulated.

While it may not be everyone's thing, this kind of vinyl figure has it's audience, and I have to give kudos to TLS for building on something and making it better.

In my collecting I have always loved the design aspect of Transformers in the franchise. While there is a mindset of amongst collectors in that those that don't transform are irrelevant to the hobby, I believe the unique designs from lines such as Robot Heroes, MyClones and now Loyal Subjects adds to the variety of choice for a 30 year toyline.

It was important to note this since I love deformed style transformer toys. Deformed style all started with the Takara Mirco Change Mini-Car Robo toys before we knew them as the Minibots. Although the years my collection has included Mighty Muggs, Marvel super heroes and MyClones. 'Deformed' style of Transformers has existed since the origins of the Transformers toyline, the tradition should continue and the designs of our beloved characters should be envisioned in new and exciting ways.

Different designs will appeal to different people. This is why I love Loyal Subjects in that people who are not familiar with the franchise are appreciating the cool designs from this series. The vinyl toy craze has increased in popularity and I hope we get to see more offerings. I have a few Loyal Subjects vinyls and I adore my Series 1 Soundwave, I would love the series 2 Insecticons and Dinobots since I plan to make a display with them featured together. Also being a vinyl record enthusiast these will look great displayed on my shelf, there has always been an affinity with hip-hop and vinyl toys, so its really fitting.

some of the deformed style toys I love.

Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion