Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3646515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/report-...nner-79586.htm

Moffat quits and there won't be any new episodes until 2017
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

So it turns out classic TF artist Andrew Wildman has worked on the Doctor Who TV series, including doing storyboards for Day Of The Doctor that have recently been making the news rounds because they depict Christopher Eccleston's Doctor taking part in the story.

For a bit of "new classic" Doctor Who, ABC2 (channel 22) is playing the Eccleston Doctor episodes from tonight at 7.30pm, and looks to be weeknights from then on.
    I wonder if they'll go through the entire new series run, as that should take a few months to do now, with nine seasons of episodes to screen.

Yeah, saw it tonight. He's the first doctor I watched.

Huh... just realised that the High Gallifreyan language lacks the "soft ch" (tʃ) consonant (e.g. chin, church, witch etc.). They only have the "hard ch," which is more like /k/ (e.g. stomachache, choir, chemistry etc.). It'd be interesting to hear how a Time Lord's accent would sound like without the Tardis' Translation Matrix around. We know that Gallifreyans have different accents, as the Ninth Doctor implied that he speaks with a Northern Gallifreyan accent, which the Translation Matrix renders as a Northern English accent to English speakers like Rose Tyler etc. And presumably all the other accents that we hear in the Doctor's other incarnations must be approximations made by the Tardis to whatever their equivalent Gallifreyan accents would be. I guess the Twelfth Doctor must speak with something equivalent to a Scottish accent. <shrugs>

The new spin off Class premiered this week on ABC2.

I'd seen some reviewers say it "is aimed at a younger audience" but it seems to be a comment made by people who don't know what they are talking about and think Doctor Who is aimed at an older audience than they think.

Because based on those commentsI had assumed it would be somewhere closer to Sarah Jane Adventures a show that I quite enjoyed (although the introduction of Sky in the last season was a worry) but no it's no SJA!

Mild Spoilers follow It was actually surprisingly violent. Rated M on ABC2 there is much more blood than the average Doctor Who episode. I think - it's possible I just noticed it more as I expected this to be a "kids show", but in the two episodes they've shown so far one character has been splattered in the face with human blood several times, there's been limbs cut off of school kids, and humans skinned with gory remains to be seen. Pretty sure this sort of stuff is more implied in Doctor Who.

The first two episodes were alright and I'm going to stick with it. They knowingly reference that the premise is familiar (they are literally at a high school on a hellmouth by another name) but at least seem to be doing something different with it. Their Giles is the anti-Giles and so far the most entertaining character.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The new spin off Class premiered this week on ABC2.

I'd seen some reviewers say it "is aimed at a younger audience" but it seems to be a comment made by people who don't know what they are talking about and think Doctor Who is aimed at an older audience than they think.

Because based on those commentsI had assumed it would be somewhere closer to Sarah Jane Adventures a show that I quite enjoyed (although the introduction of Sky in the last season was a worry) but no it's no SJA!

Mild Spoilers follow It was actually surprisingly violent. Rated M on ABC2 there is much more blood than the average Doctor Who episode. I think - it's possible I just noticed it more as I expected this to be a "kids show", but in the two episodes they've shown so far one character has been splattered in the face with human blood several times, there's been limbs cut off of school kids, and humans skinned with gory remains to be seen. Pretty sure this sort of stuff is more implied in Doctor Who.

The first two episodes were alright and I'm going to stick with it. They knowingly reference that the premise is familiar (they are literally at a high school on a hellmouth by another name) but at least seem to be doing something different with it. Their Giles is the anti-Giles and so far the most entertaining character.
    I came across the last few minutes of the second episode the other night while channel surfing, and I had no idea it was part of the Dr Who universe, but the film styling and special effects actually gave me a feel of a Dr Who episode... and the name of the school sounded really familiar (Coal Hill... which was the school featured a few times on Dr Who).

I might have to catch it in future, and I see that the Doctor makes a guest appearance.... and the cast of this show is likely to show up on Dr Who eventually like all the other spin-off shows.

Yep it's the same school although it's been "refurbished" since Clara taught there and become an "Academy" (which is apparently something happening to high schools in Britain).

It doesn't take too long in the first episode for the TARDIS to appear, it's key to the origin of some characters.

Just watched the 1st three episodes on iview.

It's okay, very YA feel to it

John Hurt, who among other roles also played the War Doctor, has passed away. Vale.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-2...ged-77/8219862