Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers

Only 1900 that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Only 1900 that's funny.
    Agreed.

And for those who think that it's mean to laugh at this guy, I'd like to point out that attempting to claim a record without doing a modicum of even online research is, IMO, part of a culture of anti-intellectualism at a very basic level (since we are just talking about toys). At a much more serious level, the idea of claiming facts as true without checking or seeking evidence is what has led to things like climate change denial and the anti-vaccination movement. Flath-Earth believers are silly and pretty harmless, and yeah, so is believing that 1900 Transformers being the largest collection in the world is harmless -- but the core culture of anti-intellectualism can be inherently dangerous. It just goes against the idea that we should be rational and critical thinkers in a post-Enlightenment age.

Galvatran Guest

There are no ifs, buts or maybe. This is fact. Louis Georgiou is putting himself up to claim the Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers. Anyone who can show via online research or other means, that this is not the biggest collection of Transformers according to GWR needs to put up or shut up. If people take exception to GWR then that's a totally different aspect.

Kudos to him for doing so.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think the last one was someone in Central or South America with about 1300 TFs applying to Guinness for the record, because no one had applied to claim it yet.

I don't know how that one turned out, but I hope he wasn't bullied out of it (and out of the hobby) by all of the fanboys who made fun of his efforts.
    What efforts? To claim (BRAG) to be the BEST IN THE WORLD without doing even a modicum of research in the actual community to see there are far larger collections that are usually the actual humble ones and not the geek-trender types?

Being shown a greater truth and having a bit of a laugh about his claim isn't on the bully scale.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

I don't have an issue with him claiming it. It is really a matter for someone with a bigger collection to prove it if they want to overthrow him, even if it is obvious it is not the biggest.

Come on Griffin, go for it!

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Hasn’t this come up before?
    I think you are referring to this?
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...28&postcount=9

I think the last one was someone in Central or South America with about 1300 TFs applying to Guinness for the record, because no one had applied to claim it yet.
    I believe its the USA.

The only collector I know outside of Griff that might have a legit claim to the actual record is Seibertron. He's made collecting Transformers his primary means of income to the point buying every toy that comes out is just a business expense.

I just wish he still did galleries of everything he collects. But that is time consuming and probably not that profitable compared to what the Youtube reviewers get with their videos.

(I've been thinking about submitting my collection for about a year now... not because I think it is the world's largest, but because I want it to smoke out collections that are bigger than mine, to find out just how big a collection can possibly be.)
    Do eeeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'd like to point out that attempting to claim a record without doing a modicum of even online research is, IMO, part of a culture of anti-intellectualism at a very basic level (since we are just talking about toys).
    Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    What efforts? To claim (BRAG) to be the BEST IN THE WORLD without doing even a modicum of research in the actual community to see there are far larger collections that are usually the actual humble ones and not the geek-trender types?

I don't understand why people are attacking the only people in the world wanting to get the ball rolling on the category of biggest Transformers Collection, so that it might be the catalyst for others to submit theirs.
    They aren't claiming that theirs is the biggest collection in the world, they are just obtaining the record at Guinness that no one else has yet claimed.

These people submitting their collections would indeed know that there are larger ones out there, but it's not their job to submit someone else's collection for evaluation by Guinness... and it isn't the job of Guinness to see if there is a bigger or better collection out there.
    Besides, I know that a lot of people with collections as big as mine, don't make it public or boast about it, so don't care about a official record or title (and many other fans resent the pissing contest of fans boasting about how big their collection is - which is why I don't like doing it). So it leaves it up to people with smaller collections to fill the void if no one else applies for it.

If no one else with a bigger collection wants to go through the hassle of having Guinness evaluate and verify their collection, to award them with the *current* record, then why should someone with a smaller collection who does go through all that, be chastised? Surely the people with bigger collections that make fun of their efforts are the ones who should be criticised for not putting in the effort of having their collection officially recognised.
    Many of Guinness's records aren't absolute, as definitely the best/biggest/most in the world... it's only what that company are able to verify, relying on the general public to submit/claim the record. And most people probably don't care about, or value, the concept of Guinness Records to waste time applying for an official record.

(They are also just a business, so aren't doing these records for the benefit of humanity... it's to sell books and make money.)

Galvatran Guest

^ I've given up trying to explain the basis of this thread.