Thread: First casting

Default First casting

Hey guys,
    just made my first casts ever for a bit of fun with the kids. Used the optimus head sculpt I did and skull.

As you can see there were a couple of bubbles that I could probably fix with apoxie. I also took them out of the mold too early, because of how small they are they take longer to cure and I didn't allow for that.

There was too much mold release in the skull mold which caused a deformed head some what.

The idea now is, wait till pay day and get some pigment (Dark blue) and some silver paint and make another cast of the Optimus head. it may have to wait a little while as it's extremely wasteful when you cast in such small volume.

The skull im thinking I could sculpt on for a Bludgeon head

P.S. the casts were still tacky at the time of photographing and have since been sanded and filed a little which made them a little better

Cool dude, it's all a learning experience isn't it?

NOW HURRY UP AND CAST ME A MP-11 SKYWARP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Cool dude, it's all a learning experience isn't it?

NOW HURRY UP AND CAST ME A MP-11 SKYWARP!!!

The only issue with that is you need to have one before you cast it. The only bits i'm looking at replicating are the helicopter blades from combiner wars figures and Grooves windshield as the boys keep losing them. Otherwise it's all going to be my work.

Just for reference, with a little bit of clean up (still need to fill and sand some more) with Silverbolt (Couldn't find Optimus, refer to previous comment about boys losing stuff)

The casting looks great on silverbolts shoulders. Nice work, what material are you casting in?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    The casting looks great on silverbolts shoulders. Nice work, what material are you casting in?
    Just elcheapo Ucast 65d and pinkysil as a mold. Unfortunately the mold is poorly laid out (lesson learned) and its a bit of a task to demold so it wont make to many copies. Hoping to get it right next time

And yeah. It looks ok on 'bolt. The heads always seem a little small (to assist in transformation ) to me so.
    I originally started out to replace cw optimus' head but the existing pin head has very little, almost zero tolerance in transformation.

Update on progress. Have made another casting, less bubbles but 1 big one so cast ruined. Now looking at getting a hotpot and camp stove to start detailing in wax first. Making this a wastemold, stepping up the detail with wax then making a master mold.

Also looking into pressure pots and vacuum chambers but thats going to push the budget.

You wouldn't mind documenting some of your process? It sounds interesting.