• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

3 23.08%
  • Not even interested

6 46.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - The Last Knight Skullitron

I have to admit im a bit biased when it comes to Medieval related transformers. A robot knight that turns into a dragon? Hell yeah, sign me up. Wait, he also looks like an undead robot knight that turns into a dragon? Take my money. In my excitement I paid the full $40 price for this guy.... do I regret it? Somewhat, whilst I agree $40 is overpaying, if he was $30 at any other retailer i'd still get him knowing what I do now. This guy wont win transformer of the year but he is far from the worst movieverse figure in my opinion (I'm looking at you AOE Lockdown).

The dragon mode looks decent if you remember this guy is a decrepit old rustbucket so the hollowness of his dragon mode kinda makes a bit more sense, although still looks kinda bad even with that perspective. Attaching the sword does help cover some of that hollowness on his back though. Speaking of sword I really like the design and how it looks like it too, has degraded over the years like skullitron's face.

The transformation is really cool, its gone from a bulky short knight to a really slender and long dragon, makes it seem like he has actually grown from the transformation. The ball joints on mine are craptastic but not as bad as some others I've seen. In dragon mode he cant keep his arms up and the dragons neck is constantly headbanging. I think a little bit of floor polish will go a long way with this guy.

Robot mode is pretty good, the wings tuck away alright and I kinda like the look of them on his back in this mode. The detail in the armor is appreciated with things such as the tiny chainmail hanging from his waist. The tabs that hold robot mode chest in place kinda suck and I wish it pegged in or locked some other way as well. The headsculpt as others have mentioned is great and I dont think i've seen anything really like it before on a transformer, so points for being unique and awesome looking.

One thing I dont see many people mention is the paint apps, I really think its done well to give him that weathered rusted copper look which is nicer than something like an iron rust color which would just be silver with brown/red spots over it. The colors really enhance his overall undead robot kinda look he has goin on. I think a little bit of decrepit sculpting in his armor as seen in his face and sword would have been made him a lot more enjoyable for people to at least have him displayed on their shelves.

To summarize, is he great? Not by a long shot. Is he horrible? I've seen worse. I think he is a pass for most people, but for those like me who enjoy the concept of the character and the details in it, I think its flaws can be overlooked. With the steelbane remold/re-color the overall hollowness of the dragon mode is gunna be a lot harder to justify, since he is meant all shiny an new. Whilst Skullitron isnt going to wow most people I give it points for being unique in a lot of ways and for those quirks he has earned a place on my shelf... just not at the front

I liked Age of Extinction Lockdown, as did most other people (only 11% of respondents voted "No" or "not interested" vs 80% of votes for this on Skullitron!). You can re-read my thoughts about Lockdown here.

"Not the worst toy" doesn't exactly redeem a toy. That's like saying that Age of Extinction isn't bad because I've seen worse films. Everything seems better if you lower the bar.

I suppose in that regard I'm a bit of a contrarian between those two figures, being part of the 11% on Lockdown and the 20% on Skullitron.

Yeah my review wasn't trying to redeem it, like I said I think most people will skip and they are right to do so. But I did want to try and explain why that 11% like me, might actually like that figure despite its flaws.

I had the opportunity to get this at $24 when I price matched BigW sale price. But chose Megatron instead. I think $24 is still too expensive for Skullitron. I have Steelbane anyway.

I think the robot mode is pretty cool (though it may need some nail polish!) and the head sculpt is amazing (if you're looking for a gross decomposing skull on your transforming robot).

But the alt mod is just inexcusably, stupidly dreadful. No redeeming features whatsoever to that mode or the transformation.