Released here – February 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Fictitious tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks – N/A
    Main Colours – Green, blue, black, silver
    Main Accessories – sword, double-barrelled cannon

This toy is a redeco of Megatronus. See the review thread on the original toy for comments on the original mould. Since Photobucket's gone all Non-Share-Bear, I'm just gonna put this link to BWTF's review which has good photos of the toy.

A lot of changes have been made from Megatronus. Everything from waist up and kneepads are new, as well as retooling on the outer upper calves (they now have 5mm holes instead of of missile launchers).

What Changed My Mind

This toy came out in early February and yet I only got it in late July. So I must admit that when this toy first came out, I had no interest in it. Then I watched the cartoon episode with Blastwave's appearance and I really liked the character. One of my long running criticisms with the cartoon is the inherent racism embedded into the stylistic designs of the Autobots and Decepticons. Up till Blastwave came along, all Autobots look humanoid and most Decepticons look monstrous/bestial in robot mode (except for Starscream & the Stunticons). But the current season of the show seems to be maturing on that part. There was one episode where Fixit laughs at a Decepticon who refers to the Autobots as being evil, but Bumblebee explains that everybody considers themselves the good guys from their own perspective. The moral of Blastwave's story is that although he has a monstrous looking robot mode, he is actually an Autobot - the important lesson being that people shouldn't be judged by outward appearances. And what an important lesson this is for kids.

It's not too often that we get NEW and interesting characters instead remakes of old characters that we've seen dozens of times before. I must admit that I was skipping this toy and holding out for Bludgeon, but since then I've decided to skip Bludgeon and get this toy. Cos I know nothing about RiD Bludgeon, and even if he turns out to be similar to G1 Bludgeon (I doubt he'd ever be as good as G1 Bludgeon as that'd probably be too dark/scary for the RiD cartoon) - it's not a new thing. I already have G1 Bludgeon and even RotF Bludgeon. Don't know if I really need another Bludgeon.

About the toy

I really appreciate how heavily retooled this toy is. This is certainly no straight up repaint. This also makes the toy deviate from the cartoon model which is an almost straight up recolour of Megatronus, save for a different head. The holes on the outer legs also allow for the sword to clip in, acting as a kind of faux-scabbard. The arms have fake tank-tread kibble which is rather odd. The cannon can sit on the back and swing forward as shoulder cannons, or they can be held in the hand as a gun.

The tank mode IMHO doesn't look as nice as Megatronus', mostly because now that the cannon-accessory forms the tank barrels, the arms have become superfluous and thus just dangle out from the rear of the turret, with the hands facing up and being completely exposed and visible. I think even downward facing hands would look nicer, but it's not possible. The "bum skirt" which forms the forward skirting of the tank looks cartoonishly silly - obviously a visual homage to G1 Bludgeon's Pretender shell.

Comparison with Bludgeon

I had a look at someone else's Bludgeon yesterday and I had my Blastwave with me, so we had a side-by-side comparison. Objectively speaking, both toys are just as good as each other. Bludgeon is a straight-up repaint of Blastwave and has the same number of paint ops and same accessories. Obviously Bludgeon is a homage to G1 Bludgeon - and as such he sports a ridiculous amount of orange. Although the maroons on G1 Bludgeon look pink on RiD Bludgeon. Pink? Uh, okay...

Overall

I really love the new character and Megatronus has always been one of the better moulds in RiD, and Blastwave still carries over most of the strengths from that original mould. Still not worth full RRP (as are none of the RiD toys), but recommended if you can get it cheap (I got mine from TRU and got them to price-match Big W).

What prompted me to buy this toy is:
    A) It's more detailed looking than Megatronus (both robot and alt. modes)
    B) More colorful as well.
    C) Is possibly what Bludgeon would look like if he defected to the autobots. Thus having a sense of uniqueness.