Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by KaRNiV8L PRiME View Post
    Pretty big call without knowing what Big W's cost price is and what Hasbro Charges them plus freight.
    Well if you hadnt noticed I said first impressions on the price afterwards and that maybe it would be lowered to something more reasonable, but regardless of that I think we both know that these can be sold at $100-150 (probably lower) and you'd break even, but I get it you have to toe the company line if you work for them. Just don't try and make us think that they are selling them at cost (or a loss) at $300, there's a sizable profit in there which in my personal opinion is excessive. Good day

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, yours is ill-informed if you think retailers in Australia make sizeable profits end to end on any non-own branded products. Unless you are privy to Gross Profit margins within the Australian retail sector, your argument has no weight. Large box retailers do not "jack up prices" just because a movie is coming out unlike some smaller independent stores or family businesses that need to survive. It's not about towing the company line, it's retail in our country in general and will get worse when Amazon lands. Most of my purchases are imported for this very reason. I agree $300 is a large amount of money and I personally am importing Tryp.

This thread was to let people know that we are one of the first in the world to receive a new Transformer, not bash the Retailer that has made that happen for us the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Well if you hadnt noticed I said first impressions on the price afterwards and that maybe it would be lowered to something more reasonable, but regardless of that I think we both know that these can be sold at $100-150 (probably lower) and you'd break even, but I get it you have to toe the company line if you work for them. Just don't try and make us think that they are selling them at cost (or a loss) at $300, there's a sizable profit in there which in my personal opinion is excessive. Good day
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Thanks but no thanks Big W...
    I'm importing mine... which will be cheaper delivered to my doorstep.
    I'd always love to support local but not in this instance thanks.

No comment ;P
    Nice! My Sis works at Big W in Livingston, hoping she can put one aside for me.

bowspearer Guest

This thread was to let people know that we are one of the first in the world to receive a new Transformer, not bash the Retailer that has made that happen for us the last 4 years.
    While I agree that we can't necessarily jump to conclusions about where Australian consumers are being ripped off, there is equally no question that we are being ripped off.

I'm not going to make judgement calls as to whether it's happening at the distributor level or retail level, but there is no way that a 100% markup on US prices happens on a figure at that price without someone gouging the price somewhere along the chain.

NOTE (everyone) - the regular price is $298... and if it is in the mid-year toy sale, it could be discounted. (no guarantees though)

Yes, that price is more than expected, especially since the US retail price is US$150 (about AU$205)... and their retail price for Titan class has mostly remained the same since the first one (Metroplex in 2013), while ours has now doubled from AU$150 for that same sized toy.

But BigW are price leaders when it comes to toys, usually matching or undercutting other major retailers in Australia on current items (as seen with their other Transformers toy prices), so if this was the best price they could offer us, it is because of the wholesale price that Hasbro (in America) has required it sell for in Australia.

Which is a shame, as the one-off higher priced items are usually cheaper here than the usual "double US pricing" we get on regular, smaller items.

So... don't blame BigW for the price, unless it shows up for significantly less at other retailers (which they would end up matching)... and maybe wait about a week, until we know if it is on sale in the June toy catalogue.

Given the popularity of the Titan Class toys, and that we seem to spend days and weeks hunting around for them, as a retailer you'd be crazy to sell it for $150-$200 when you know they are going to sell out at $300

I resent paying double US pricing too, but the alternative is paying for US shipping on this big bad boy, so we're screwed either way unless Amazon deep discounts
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Or we could wait a while and hope that Mighty Ape picks them up

Megatran Guest

Thanks for sharing KaRNiV8L PRiME.