Page 148 of 183 FirstFirst ... 128138143144145146147148149150151152153158168 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1829

Thread: Transformers Venting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    So I got given a Big W voucher for my birthday which was soon going to expire. So gave in whilst in Mudgee today and bought the huge 1-Step Dragonstorm as he was discounted to $69 (and there was nothing else I wanted).

Just got it home, opened it, and it's missing an arm

Means my wife is going to have to exchange it tomorrow on her lunch break
    Omg Mudgee is my big w lol we have a lousy selection 😆

Standard rant incoming:

Was messing around with HFTD Leader Starscream in anticipation of the Studio Series Voyager Starscream coming out.

Wow the build quality of figures has taken a dive in the last eight years.

That figure is
    • dense, and sturdy
    • well painted
    • has an intuitive, involved and (mostly) accurate transformation that excellently moves the mass of the figure around
    • has wide and unique articulation that has not been replicated on any other Starscream figure
    • launching missiles and electronic lights and sounds (generally not features that I was never fond of on any scale, but still, options)
    • actually rolling landing gear instead of sculpted wheels
    • has had the QC on point for the 3 versions of it that I've owned (HFTD, MPM-02, and the Generations repaint)

No wonder I've moved more to 3P collecting in the last 3 years. It's embarrassing to compare it to TR Sixshot (being the most recent Leader class figure I own), which by comparison is light, floppy, hollow, and underpainted.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Got to agree with you on that. Current designs doesn't even attempt to hide the alt forms like Generations Seekers where the cockpit hides the jet nose cons. Current design just have the whole cone part as a huge kibble as a backpack. Hope the design changes back as before.

Collectors often bemoan a lack of paint/detail on official Hasbro toys, or light/cheap-feeling plastic, or hollow parts, or simple transformations; however, I suspect that there are two big reasons the 'main line' toys, like Combiner Wars, Titans Returns, and Power of the Primes are simple or appear to be cheap.

The first is that they are childrens' playthings first and foremost. They can't be too complex, because a child might be confused or frustrated by a complex transformation. Also, they have to be simple and durable enough to withstand play and being dropped.

The second is that simplicity or a lack of detail keeps the toys affordable. Collectors seem to forget that the bulk of Hasbro's market is parents buying toys for children. The toys therefore have to be affordable enough for parents to buy them in numbers, and this is particularly true for toys like combiners. Keep in mind that costs rise over time, whether it's R&D, raw plastic, or factory operating costs, so something has to give if Hasbro wants to keep the toys at a certain price point.

I get the impression that some collectors seem to think that Hasbro should be catering exclusively to them.

Finally, remember that Hasbro has a lot of brands to maintain, not just Transformers. If Hasbro want to spend more money on Transformers, another brand may have to go without.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Collectors often bemoan a lack of paint/detail on official Hasbro toys, or light/cheap-feeling plastic, or hollow parts, or simple transformations; however, I suspect that there are two big reasons the 'main line' toys, like Combiner Wars, Titans Returns, and Power of the Primes are simple or appear to be cheap.

The first is that they are childrens' playthings first and foremost. They can't be too complex, because a child might be confused or frustrated by a complex transformation. Also, they have to be simple and durable enough to withstand play and being dropped.

The second is that simplicity or a lack of detail keeps the toys affordable. Collectors seem to forget that the bulk of Hasbro's market is parents buying toys for children. The toys therefore have to be affordable enough for parents to buy them in numbers, and this is particularly true for toys like combiners. Keep in mind that costs rise over time, whether it's R&D, raw plastic, or factory operating costs, so something has to give if Hasbro wants to keep the toys at a certain price point.

I get the impression that some collectors seem to think that Hasbro should be catering exclusively to them.

Finally, remember that Hasbro has a lot of brands to maintain, not just Transformers. If Hasbro want to spend more money on Transformers, another brand may have to go without.
    Agreed, so many entitled man-children in this fandom.

I love both 3P and official products because they both cater for different niches for me. HasTak offer products that exemplify fun, I can pick one up while I'm at work and fiddle around with it while I'm on the phone. On the other hand I get 3P (and Masterpiece) for the high-end premium figures with a lot more bells and whistles that look impressive but mostly don't transforms easily in a few seconds.

Truth is there isn't as much overlap between HasTak and 3P figures as a lot of people believe.

I wonder how much of a struggle it is for them to keep up with this point this year. I skipped out of buying the new PotP toys in Christmas last year when I was travelling in Singapore and Taiwan as the exchange equated to ~AU$35. Very surprised this year when that number is the new RRP even at Kmart and BigW. PotP still follows their previous formula of making minor retools/remoulds of existing moulds - so my assumption is that R&D costs should not be that much more. Another guess might be because the bulk of their cost increases may have been in manufacturing(?).

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    Agreed, so many entitled man-children in this fandom.

I love both 3P and official products because they both cater for different niches for me. HasTak offer products that exemplify fun, I can pick one up while I'm at work and fiddle around with it while I'm on the phone. On the other hand I get 3P (and Masterpiece) for the high-end premium figures with a lot more bells and whistles that look impressive but mostly don't transforms easily in a few seconds.

Truth is there isn't as much overlap between HasTak and 3P figures as a lot of people believe.
    Have recently picked up a bunch of Generations Deluxes from a few years ago. In some ways awesome. But almost all have weird proportions in places. I struggle to stop things like Prowls doors popping off during transformation.
    Toys like the Combined Wars cars may be simple in compariaon but I feel a lot more confident giving one to a kid. Even aweful things like clip on wheels are appreciated more when they have been torn off and clipped back on for the third time.

The Studio Series toys are pretty darn complex!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th April 2018 at 10:08 AM.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Studio Series toys are pretty darn complex!
    Some people might find that a good thing. Sure, the transformers shouldn't be unnecessarily complex just for the sake of being complex, but some people enjoy the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Some people might find that a good thing. Sure, the transformers shouldn't be unnecessarily complex just for the sake of being complex, but some people enjoy the challenge.
    Sorry, my post wasn't a rant but rather in response to Magnus' post which I'd forgotten to quote for context. Fixed now.