Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lament

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I live in the bush. No toy stores so no chance to go hunting for ‘bargians’. It’s either order online or don’t get the toy
    That's totally different, if I was in your shoes I'd probably buy everything from BBTS, and other online retailers (toybotimportz et al).

but for city folk I can't think of a time when wave 1 of a series wasn't hanging around for months and being included in at least one sale. sure if it's something like the movie voyagers that had a terrible distribution (and it was widely understood to be the case) grab it when you see it, or buy it online. Late wave toys are the same, they often only turn up in limited quantities so it's well worth grabbing them when you see them.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    That's totally different, if I was in your shoes I'd probably buy everything from BBTS, and other online retailers (toybotimportz et al).

but for city folk I can't think of a time when wave 1 of a series wasn't hanging around for months and being included in at least one sale. sure if it's something like the movie voyagers that had a terrible distribution (and it was widely understood to be the case) grab it when you see it, or buy it online. Late wave toys are the same, they often only turn up in limited quantities so it's well worth grabbing them when you see them.
    Fair point 👍

I went and picked up 2 Prime Masters from Target today, but in doing so I made a 35km round trip and since I was going home in rush hour traffic, the total time spent getting these toys was 2 hours!

Had I just bought these toys from Kings Comics as I did with Metalhawk, it would have cost me an extra $5. Just $5. To me that's worth paying to save me 2 hours of my time plus however much fuel I expended in my 35km round trip! And I didn't find any other TFs that I wanted, so I'm glad that I paid the slightly higher prices at the independents as it means that I don't have to keep going on these trips over and over and over again hunting for these toys. The combined amount of time and money spent travelling just is not worth it.

I'll admit that today's purchase was impulsive. I'm gonna wait until the other Prime Masters appear at my own immediate locals or if I happen to be at a department store doing other shopping and I find them. But not worth these special trips just to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundwavePerth View Post
    I picked up 4 Gnaws the other day (for $7 each). In December, Trypticon for 149, Galvatron and Astro train for $30.
    I would kill for a few more Gnaws, where on Earth did you manage to score them for $7 a pop!?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I live in the bush. No toy stores so no chance to go hunting for ‘bargians’. It’s either order online or don’t get the toy
    There is a Toyworld in Swan Hill, and you know it. I should ask the frizzy haired blonde if they're getting the new stuff, tomorrow. Target should be stocking a full range this year, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    There is a Toyworld in Swan Hill, and you know it. I should ask the frizzy haired blonde if they're getting the new stuff, tomorrow. Target should be stocking a full range this year, too.
    So? I haven’t lived anywhere near Swan Hill for nearly a year - I don’t even live in that state anymore. You might as well have said "There is a Toys'R'Us in London, England, and you know it" since I used to live there too.

The town I live outside of now makes Swan Hill look like Melbourne in comparison. There is a service station that has a couple of plastic cap guns and that’s it for toys.

But hey, thanks for taking the time to instruct me on what I know.

Geez so sorry my telepathy failed me, so I didn't realise you had moved when your profile still said Murrawee yesterday. No need to be a dick about it. You knew Target Swan Hill was getting a full range this year did you?

. No need to be a dick about it.
    Errr.... you were the one that was quoting me and making it sound like I was full of crap when I said I live in a town with no toy store. I didn't go out of my way to bother you or infer you were being less than honest.

However if my response was too full on I apologize.

You knew Target Swan Hill was getting a full range this year did you?
    Besides keeping abreast with developments in my brothers family I have no idea what is going on back in Swan Hill, let alone what their chain stores are stocking.

Edit:

I didn't realise you had moved when your profile still said Murrawee yesterday.
    Yes, in retrospect I can see how that could have been misleading. However since I'd talked about how I'd moved so many times on here over the last year I kinda assumed everybody knew, which I shouldn't have. I've changed my local so there will be no further confusions.
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 12th February 2018 at 02:13 PM.

I’ve generally just given up with local retail anyway so I don’t bother looking much. I honestly get much more excited to have a LTC or BBTS parcel rock up at my door than waste fuel and time trolloping around Perth looking for an overpriced deluxe or Voyager.

Quote Originally Posted by plakstift View Post
    I would kill for a few more Gnaws, where on Earth did you manage to score them for $7 a pop!?
    Hey I stumbled upon them at Hobbyware house (https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au). I had never heard of it before, but I actually saw it come up as a google ad I think. All legends were $7. I put up a post on facebook with the link, and I think on this site somewhere. The sale has ended though sorry mate.

As for everyone else arguing the merits of retail vs online. My first point was about 'the fear of missing out' and the hype surrounded by a new line such as POPT. Everyone stressing, and driving KMs just so they dont miss out.

Sure enough they are now appearing in retail everywhere ( and a kmart or a target might be more convenient than travelling to Toyworld or a hobby shop.

If you want the figure (and willing to pay) go an get it. Otherwise, its fair to say you will find it elsewhere, its not gone forever!

I picked up Rodimus and Grimlock when they hit Toyworld for (89 and 49) and have no regrets. I made a concious choice not to buy the deluxe at $34.95 at the time, thinking I will get them later at kmart - but classically backflipped when someone spotted them at another store near me a week ago. It is $10 total extra, but hey thats the standard RRP it will save me a visit to the shops another day.

If I ever see Optimus on a 20% off sale down the road, I may even think about picking him up.

Whatever works.