Thread: I Miss [s]Strike[/s]

Default I Miss [s]Strike[/s]

Hi Griffin,

On the old board, you could cross things out with , known as Strike or Strike-through. This was hugely helpful in crossing off things that you'd sold or acquired.

I understand that this is possible in vBulletin with a Custom BB Code based on the instructions located here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201555

Any chance you could bang that out when and if you get a chance?

[s]It's not done yet[/s] <-- this should let us know if you've succeeded

agree +1

I agree and I'd also like to be able to embed HTML code into my posts so that I can directly add like YouTube videos to my posts in the same way that we can already do so with videos.

Here's an example of what I mean

I'll see what I can do. I'll post again when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'll see what I can do. I'll post again when it is done.
    hi griff, i reckon the [s] tag cannot be used because the HTML function has been turned off. Try that first..might work

vB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

I've followed the instructions at the link above, but need to get an icon, place it in the right folder on my server, and access it on the admin section. So until that is done, anyone who actually needs the strike through like this, use
    HTML Code:
    [strike]these[/strike]

I am still hesitant on actually having the strike through option, because there isn't anything that needs it without some other alternative. One thing I don't like it being used for (which it has been in the past) is having a dig at someone else, but striking through it as if you were taking it back but still wanted people to know what you said. If that happens again, the option will be removed.

understood :P

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I am still hesitant on actually having the strike through option, because there isn't anything that needs it without some other alternative. One thing I don't like it being used for (which it has been in the past) is having a dig at someone else, but striking through it as if you were taking it back but still wanted people to know what you said. If that happens again, the option will be removed.
    testing... Thank you!

The specific reason I personally asked for the strike and use it is that in the Melbourne Missionaries thread, we like to cross off the things we got, but still show them. Whilst I'd be happy to hear of an alternate way of communicating that as clearly, I think ANYTHING can be used for bad or good, and removing the grammar or punctuation that facilitated the bad doesn't really address the real problem.... rather it only penalizes those who use it for good.

However, I will say that us a web developer, allowing raw HTML code exposes the site and users to malicious code blocks, cross site scripting attacks and other issues. I would recommend that you somehow allow YouTube embedding without giving the whole hog.

It can be appropriately used in many situations. If users are using it inappropriately, just deal with that user as you would if they were doing anything else inappropriately. No need to disable that function just because someone uses it inappropriately.

For example, if someone posted an inappropriate image on a post you wouldn't go and disable the image posting function and inconvenience (and perceivably "punish") the rest of the community for it. Just deal with that user and/or edit/delete their post.