Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we let foreigners in as members?

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    Where do we used to be overseas students and now permanent residents fall into place?
    Simple really - your Transformers fandom is taking place in Australia, so for the purposes of this board, you're as Australian as anyone else. Even if you're studying here temporarily, it would still be the same situation.

And as Sofaman pointed out, this forum has always been open to those in New Zealand. And Norfolk Island, if by some chance we ever have anyone from there who wants to join.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

so local is good, a local temporarily/short term living overseas is good, and maybe foreigners who are here for one specific purpose ( imagine a yank version of TF:mosaic for eg)

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    Where do we used to be overseas students and now permanent residents fall into place?
    You're a permanent resident, so you're Australian for membership purposes, I'd think. The place wouldn't be the same without you.

I'd say we want to err on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion, so if there's any doubt about eligibility, then we should include a person.

However, if someone falls well outside the established membership guidelines, that would be a fair basis for exclusion from membership.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

This board caters for any current resident in the Australian region of the world (which covers the various NZ fans we have had as members, plus some nearby asian countries in the past). It also allows for anyone from this region who is temporarily residing in another part of the world. But since the focus is on local issues, the board would not be considered relevent enough for people who have moved abroad permanently, or are foriegners.
    This is why it could be okay to let some foreign fans join if they are intending to be interacting here for our benefit (like as a direct source for news or info).

I totally agree that this board should primarily be for Australian-based fans. Many of us are already members of other international TF boards and there are advantages and disadvantages of international and Australian boards - but yeah, I come here primarily to hang out with Aussie-based fans. If I wanted to talk to foreign-based fans, I'd go elsewhere.

Perhaps we should also allow for foreigners who were formerly Australian-based fans such as Tiger Convoy (not sure if he wants to join here but I reckon it'd be nice if he had the option - he'd also be able to directly answer questions about Japanese related TF questions) and if jaydisc ever decides to repatriate back home I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to continue posting here.

PS: we do already have at least one active NZ member here - but also NZ fans tend to congregate at Transformersnewzealand.com which is more relevant for them.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 7th January 2008 at 08:08 AM.

I'd put my two cents in as well... OTCA should be for "people" who is currently residing here for more than a couple of months, so that counts anyone who is currently working or studying in AU.

There should be some exceptions to the rule for foreigners as others have said (ie. news/info contributions or even a trusted seller??)

I used to frequent an international board more then this one. The reason I stopped doing so was it allowed every cat, dog and their mother to join. As such there was continous baiting, spamming, trolling, flamming people being banned. It was just ridiculous.

I prefer our small, local, friendly community

Lets keep it that way.

Im all for keeping this for Aussies at home and abroad. Kiwi's count as Aussies since there are enough of them over here anyways!

Perhaps close neighbours with a very very small community of Transformers fans like Papua New Guinea should also be allowed to join?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

TheDirtyDigger Guest

I don't know the state of fan communities in neighbouring countries but personally I wouldn't be opposed to allowing forum members from places like Malaysia, Singapore, the Phillipines and Indonesia as they can only bring a positive contribution and may be beneficial in providing a source of TF's we may not be able to locate here.

I mean if we let NZ'rs in why not other regional nations?

I would be opposed though to allowing in people from countries that are hostile to us and considered enemies of Australia.
    Like those b**tards from that despicable, despotic nation known as New South Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    I don't know the state of fan communities in neighbouring countries but personally I wouldn't be opposed to allowing forum members from places like Malaysia, Singapore, the Phillipines and Indonesia as they can only bring a positive contribution and may be beneficial in providing a source of TF's we may not be able to locate here.

I mean if we let NZ'rs in why not other regional nations?

I would be opposed though to allowing in people from countries that are hostile to us and considered enemies of Australia.
    Like those b**tards from that despicable, despotic nation known as New South Wales.
    QFT! Any reason why it can't be a Oceanic Region site?