Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - Remold of CW Ultra Magnus
    Wave - 1
    Released here - July 2016

I had a knock off Powermaster Optimus in the early 90s so a modern version is a must-have for me, and he doesn't disappoint.

Him and CW Ultra Magnus are like the Combiner Wars figures; they share the same engineering but nearly every piece is new, so calling it a remold/retool is a bit an understatement really. It is a very clever re-use of the engineering as well.

TRAILER MODE:

An excellent alt mode. The new cab design with the square top, longer grill section looks suitably beefy and powerful. The trailer deco is done up in a very G1 way which brings back memories. I also like the fact that you mount the grey cannon with the hollowed out seat facing inside.

Interestingly, Hasbro chose the cartoon style Autobot symbol here.

TITAN MASTER:

The Titan Master dude looks exactly like how I remembered Hi-Q, which is a big plus for me.

BASE MODE:

It's basically the headless robot doing a split (just like the old toy), but with all the weapons attached and TMs populating the base, it actually looks half decent, and I had a lot of fun setting it up.

The TMs can ride inside his shoulder cannons, just like on the old G1 toy, which is again a plus for me.

TRANSFORMATION:
    This is my first experience with this mold and it is quite a clever design. The added panels required for the fully enclosed trailer are distributed neatly on the limbs.

ROBOT MODE:

A beefy and powerful-looking robot mode, with all the right Optimus colors. All the red on the arms, shoulders and the chest panel are grey plastic painted red. It is a very nice rich saturated red and matches the red plastic perfectly. The knees and shins could use some accents to break up the blue though (all the sculpted details are there to mimic the stickers on the G1 toy).

Both the Optimus "helmet" and the Orion Pax head are nicely sculpted. The double-hinged mechanism on the helmet is quite clever to accommodate different shape of heads, but unless the head in there has big optics like Pax , the end result won't look as good.

Articulation is passable. He' got all the limitations from the Magnus mold and improved on none. The added panels on the inside of his legs make it hard to straighten the legs as they bump into each other.

The hollow forearms and the extra panels underneath have received a lot of criticism. Apparently all the savings from recycling old engineering went into the extra panels and the headmaster gimmick so Hasbro had to cut corner here and there.. The hollowness does look terrible, but I actually don't mind the extra panels under his forearms.

Finally Leader Megatron has a worthy opponent.

I do wish he had new weapons though, or even just two of the same of either. It is also unfortunate that he can't hold 5mm weapons all that well.

All in all, despite the flaws, he's still a very nice update of Powermaster Optimus. He's beefy and a nice display piece. I personally am not sold on the Japanese version; although it is much nicer with all the modification, it doesn't have the Powermaster feel for me, and the feet now look weird for the sake of combining. Happy with the TR version for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    TITAN MASTER:

The Titan Master dude looks exactly like how I remembered Hi-Q, which is a big plus for me.

I never realised how inaccurate-looking the colours on the Titan Master was! I just Googled an image of the TakaraTOMY version and I'm now feeling even more glad that I've decided to hold out for that version. Was it really that hard for Hasbro to get the colours right?

I'd be interested to see side by side comparison pics with a G1 Powermaster Optimus Prime. I tried to Google it, but only found pics with the reissue, which is really just Ginrai (there are significant differences between the two toys). I'd like to see a comparison with G1 PM OP though please.

nice Review Doublespy.
    I'm looking at getting hold of the Takara version, but need to figure out where I'm going to source it.

I have the LG XX Magnus, a very neat transformation.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

As doublespy said, this carries over many of the features of the Ultra Magnus mould and is very much a car carrier trying to be a truck. As a result there are limitations to the truck mode, including the massive hole in the front of the trailer, as well as gaps on the sides and roof of the trailer. But to be fair, there's not a whole lot more you could do to cover up every single hole. The legs already have these huge panels to cover up the sides but the offset is, as doublespy mentioned, making the lower legs chunkier. And there's not a lot of other redeco potential for the Ultra Magnus mould, so I think that a lot of the shortcomings are fairly forgivable.

The G1 fanboy in me wishes that the core head looked more like Powermaster Optimus Prime's cab robot head, with the helmet of course resembling Super Optimus Prime's head. But objectively speaking I can see how that might seem somewhat redundant to younger fans who didn't grow up with G1, and it's important for Generations to appeal to both older and younger fans alike. And making it resemble Orion Pax's face also carries appeal for G1 fans anyway.

The base mode is okay. It's essentially an intermediate mode between robot and truck rather than a proper base mode like we have on the G1 toy. But then again, the G1 toy has a detachable trailer and is a complete brick in robot mode, and isn't a redeco of Ultra Magnus. So all things considered, this base mode is alright. It's better than Fortress Maximus' attempt at a city mode.

The colours actually look better IRL than in photos. Speaking of which...
    I personally am not sold on the Japanese version; although it is much nicer with all the modification, it doesn't have the Powermaster feel for me,
    Agreed. Powermaster Optimus Prime's overall look and colours may seem cheap compared to Ginrai, but it's G1 accurately cheap! This gallery includes comparison photos of G1 Powermaster Optimus Prime and Ginrai, and Ginrai always look nicer that PM OP. But he is not Optimus Prime.

I only got Ginrai when he was reissued in 2001. I did not grow up with this toy, it's not part of my childhood nostalgia. My Powermaster Optimus Prime was purchased in 1988, and of course I've read the adventures of PM OP in the Marvel Comics including memorable stories such as the Time Wars, Matrix Quest etc. This red-fisted lighter-grey figure was part of my childhood, so for this reason Powermaster Optimus Prime feels more like the actual character to me than Ginrai.

Even the Ginrai reissue toy has never felt like Optimus Prime to me. And even when Hasbro repackaged this toy and sold it as "Apex Armour Optimus Prime," it still didn't feel like Optimus Prime to me. This is why I was so conflicted over whether to get this toy or Ginrai -- my brain says Ginrai but my heart says PM Optimus Prime. My heart (and my impatience ) won out in the end.

I do have one main gripe about this toy though -- Apex's colours. It looks very, very different from Hi-Q and I don't see why it needs to look so different. The head, chest, arms and legs are all separate pieces... okay, maybe they didn't want to gang-mould the legs with the same black plastic frame as the guns and wheels, that might've been too expensive, but surely they could've moulded the chest in the same white(ish) plastic as the head, and heck, mould the legs in the same red plastic as the arms or cab etc. Because Hi-Q does have red thighs and red legs would make it look at least half G1-accurate. I look at Apex's colour scheme and think, "What?!" I suspect that TakaraTOMY's version is going to look much nicer than the colours on Apex.

Articulation is passable. He' got all the limitations from the Magnus mold and improved on none.
    There is one significant improvement. The panel slots underneath each hand allow you to insert the gun grips into them, holding them in place. This greatly improves over Ultra Magnus' poor ability to hold his own guns securely; without these slots Optimus Prime's gun grip would be similar to Ultra Magnus -- holds okay for display, but prone to dropping them during play. So I'm very much appreciative of this modification.

--------------------------------

Photos

I've tried to Google for images comparing G1 PM Optimus Prime with this toy -- I've found images comparing with Ginrai (or the reissue which is really just Ginrai), but none comparing it with the original PM Optimus Prime toy. I could take comparison pics with my reissue Ginrai but I don't see the point in that because it's a different character and more importantly, this toy isn't based on Ginrai, it's based on Powermaster Optimus Prime - warts and all. I don't know if I'll get Legends Ginrai, but I'm sure someone else will and I hope someone will post comparison pics w/ G1 Ginrai. But until then, here are a few comparison pics with Optimus Prime.

Would someone be so kind as to pop some other heads on and slap the mask over it? I'm curious to see how the helmet works with bulkier looking heads (like Grax for example)

さあ、どうぞ、CROSS HEAD ON!

Mit Emissary →← und mit Infinitus

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    さあ、どうぞ、CROSS HEAD ON!
    どうもう。

Ha ha ha, that bottom photo looks like they've been photographed just after doing something dodgy.

Looks like the helmet is a tad too large for infinitus. I can see why they made he helmet look as much like Op as poddible, but I think it kind of defeats the purpose of the head mix n match when you can't see the head inside the helmet.

I do have one main gripe about this toy though -- Apex's colours.
    I think I remember Hi-Q being the same as Apex because the one had was a knock off and had grey legs

Nice comparison shots with the original PM Optimus. It's good to see a toy from someone's childhood compared with the modern updates.

Last year I took some photos of my original G1 Blades and Streetwise with their CW updates. Brought tears to my eyes.

Nice comparison shots with the original PM Optimus. It's good to see a toy from someone's childhood compared with the modern updates.

Last year I took some photos of my original G1 Blades and Streetwise with their CW updates. Brought tears to my eyes.
    Have you seen this thread?

Have you seen this thread?
    Hadn't noticed lots of the G1 figures in there were actually your childhood toys. You've kept them really well. Mine generally have much more play wear.