Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 (Walmart) Gen1 reissue Optimus

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm probably in the minority, I think that packaging looks really neat without a trailer.

I'll probably get a few of these to hand out to kids I know and to keep a MISB version for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, I think that packaging looks really neat without a trailer.

I'll probably get a few of these to hand out to kids I know and to keep a MISB version for myself.
    Nope, I like it too! I don't need it but it kinda looks cool just the cab in that small G1 inspired box

I always thought the snipped smokestacks were a cost saving measure? Without the expense of needing to make the trailer they can go all out..hopefully die-cast is included to...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    Nope, I like it too! I don't need it but it kinda looks cool just the cab in that small G1 inspired box

I always thought the snipped smokestacks were a cost saving measure? Without the expense of needing to make the trailer they can go all out..hopefully die-cast is included to...
    Its been a while since i bought a reissue, but why wouldnt diecast be included?Have past reissues excluded diecast?

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Its been a while since i bought a reissue, but why wouldnt diecast be included?Have past reissues excluded diecast?
    Ha Ha, just being facetious...if they wanted to cost cut it would be the first to go I imagine

It does look a little naked without the trailer, but I need 2 of these. I love the box and I really hope it will be a quality figure to enjoy as well.

Maybe as a marketing/cash-grab gimmick, they will re-release it WITH trailer later down the track (maybe to coincide with an Optimus Prime movie??) ... and you know what - I'd be fine buying that too!

Still gut wrenching to see it without the trailer but the deep red/blue and long smokestacks make up for it. I’ll also be pre-ordering two like I did with the new MP Prime.

Definitely cool for the retro box. I'm not worried about the lack of trailer, already got MP-10 for that

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    The curved box corners instead of the recently released ones with square corners is a massive plus.

Hhhmmmmm... on one hand I do wish that it came with a trailer because it does look incomplete with out it. I do love how the box is using the Hasbro G1 box art, not the Takara one. Haven't seen that on a reissue Optimus Prime since 1990 (1993 if you count G2). But the puny size of the box kinda spoils it.

One the other hand it ought to make this toy cheaper which should hopefully encourage more people to buy it. The reason why a reissue Optimus Prime might shelfwarm is because, let's face it, it is the single most reissued toy in all of Transformers. The market has been saturated with all kinds of reissues of this mould.

I would be tempted to buy this. While the box is undersized, the G1 accurate artwork alone makes it really tempting. And a cheaper reissue does make it easier to justify purchasing yet another version of this mould which I'm chiefly buying for a piece of cardboard. Okay, that sounds really stupid when I say it aloud.

Not stupid at all Goktimus. The artwork was beautiful and shifted a lot of toys. Unlike the 'modern' toys that show both vehicle and robot mode on the backer card, the artwork gave you a beautiful illustration of the toy (that was sometimes better than the actual robot mode, lol). The transformation steps on the top of the box were always too small to make out details, and I know when it was a new character it was the artwork that made me decide which one to purchase.

But unfortunately it doesn't make for a cheaper reissue, given the higher rrp. You could wait for the deep discount when it's on clearance from shelfwarming (12.87 for Hot Rod), but its a risk.

I would kill for a G1 reissue with the old box style (Encore didn't have the flap).... and often tempted to buy a KO..... but it just wouldn't be the same
    I have so many official reissues opened anyway. It wold only be for display MISB, but it'd be purty
    Last edited by reillyd; 21st December 2018 at 11:08 PM.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!