View Poll Results: Rise of the Dark Spark - worth getting!

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's got G1 & AoE characters so yes!

4 23.53%
  • Only if...

4 23.53%
  • Na

6 35.29%
  • A terrible game - never play it!

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Review - Rise of the Dark Spark

Default Game Review - Rise of the Dark Spark

Introduction
    Rise of the Dark Spark, available on multiple platforms (I have the PS3 version), follows the storyline of – surprise surprise – The Dark Spark. First how it originated on Cybertron as Unicron’s version of The Matrix, then arrived on Earth conveniently to be found during TF4.

Storyline
    The Cybertron part of the Dark Spark saga takes place between WFC and FOC and comes across as something that should come in an expansion pack rather than a whole new game. The Dark Spark earth saga does not fit with the movie story at all and felt shoehorned in. Disappointing.

Gameplay
    If you’ve played any of the TF games released over the past few years you know how this game plays so I wont waste time going into depth. What was disappointing was that there was less reason to Transform in this game and when there was a reason to use your alt-mode it was usually to get from A to B in a hurry such as Jetfire evacuating Trypticon or Optimus driving through Kaon. Once again, the Cybertron levels felt like an expansion pack for FOC and the earth levels felt like the DOTM game. No innovation or anything new to really enjoy.

Weaponry & Special Skills
    All lifted directly from FOC, no new guns, no new innovations. Instead of earning cybercredits to upgrade your guns you get different locked boxes that come with different ungrades and graphics in them. Even the special abilities were recycled from FOC, such as the shockwave that Vortex could send out has been passed on to Jetfire, Starscreams cloak passed onto Sharpshot, Jazz’s grapple passed onto Sideswipe etc. One of the few new things was that Optimus could deploy a shield that would absorb enemy fire and then charge up and fling it back at them but that was rather annoying to master.

Characters & Enemies
    It was kinda cool to play Shrapnel/Skrapnel/Sharpshot/Whoever he is in this game and Shockwave in the storyline mode. On Earth you get to play new characters like Drift. All other characters had been recycled from previous games (Optimus, Soundwave, Jetfire, Swindle, Sideswipe, Bruticus, earth Bumblebee etc). I quite enjoyed the interplay between Megatron’s 3 main lieutenants (Shockwave, Starscream and Soundwave) and it was interesting to see an Insecticon and Combaticon on a mission together. But much like the Transformers mythos overall, the G1’ish Cybertronian characters were interesting, the Bayverse characters were dull.
    The enemy characters were pretty dull, the only ones being remotely interesting were mini-bosses such as Cliffjumper and Megatron. As for Lockdowns army – argh! “Lets see what we’ve got” is said about 8 million times per fight! Guess what nimrods – your boss already said “Bumblebee and Drift are in the hanger” so you already freaking know what you’ve got! There was not a lot of AI on show, though some of Lockdowns crew were good at taking cover. Nearly all enemies were in robot mode, a few in vehicle mode, and I don’t think I saw one enemy besides Megatron transform during the whole game.

Graphics
    The Cybertron levels fail to pop like FOC did, they are more on par with WFC and even then fail to meet the standard. I was really disappointed that Kolkular was visible out a window yet you could not see it properly or position your bot on an angle to see it better, I would have loved to see the capital of Kaon in all it’s glory! There was not much variety and everything, even the bots, were fairly drab.
    The earth levels were uninspired, much on par with the ROTF & DOTM games. With the processing power available even on the last generation of consoles like the PS3 they were capable of having huge scenes with buildings on fire and humans running and screaming – yet just bland forests and empty warehouses.

Multiplayer and Escalation
    I have gotten that bored with the storyline game I have not bothered to have a go at them. Somebody else can bite the bullet and do them.

Overall
    I wanted to wait until I had finished the storyline portion of the game and at least had a go at Escalation to review the game but time constraints at home and, to be frank, a lack of interest means I have yet to do so, so I apologize for an incomplete review. Would be interested to hear if it’s at least worth playing up to the earth-Grimlock level.

Anyway – overall a fairly disappointing game which for me the only redeeming feature of was that you could play as G1 based characters. We have come to expect crappy movie tie-in games and they have not broken the mold here. If you enjoyed FOC then when the game price drops you may want to pick up the game to play through those levels.

Played about an hour of it when I first got it about a month ago. Have not touched it since.

I finished it and played a few of the escalation levels and that was it. I traded it in for a pre-order for Destiny.

I was very disappointed with this game, if you still have a 360 or a PS3 keep your copy of FOC or WFC they are far superior games.

Agreed. I picked it up on Ps4 and really hoped that by using High Moon's assets as a base, the game could turn out OK...how wrong I was. There is a very clear distinction showing what was 'recycled' and what's 'new' (read terrible). Again, I wanted to like this game so much after all the awesome work High Moon did on the first two games...but even at $58.00, this game is $40 too expensive.

Can anyone post a plot summary? I'm not really interested in the game but would like to know what the story is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Can anyone post a plot summary? I'm not really interested in the game but would like to know what the story is.

Ya can find the whole plot here mate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfo...the_Dark_Spark

I was gonna copy and paste it over but thought there were too many spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Would be interested to hear if it’s at least worth playing up to the earth-Grimlock level.
    Ah well, I've answered my own question from that bit of research for Zommel, apparently I'm very close to it so maybe on the weekend I'll steel myself to get there and polish the game off

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfo...the_Dark_Spark

Movieverse Drift battles his way through Lockdown's foot soldiers on Earth when the Autobots notice the 'mysterious purple meteor' fall. When it's found Optimus utters a cryptic "I feared this day would come" or something like that. Lockdown shows up nabs the meteorite/darkspark and escapes.

Flashback to Cybertron pre FoC. Megatron sends his lieutenants Soundwave, Shockwave and Starscream to retrieve the Dark Spark from the Crystal City.
    Blah, blah, blah... Cue series of Decepticon and Autobot missions to track down/obtain/transport the Dark Spark
    Megatron gets his hands on the Dark Spark, powers up. Fights Optimus. The Dark Spark is ejected out into space during the fight.

Flash forward to movieverse Earth again. Drift and Bumblebee locate and infiltrate Lockdown's base of operations. Drift gets taken captive. Out of nowhere, Grimlock breaks out of captivity and tears the place up. Lockdown escapes again with the Dark Spark to his second base where his Time Bridge is being built. Reveals his plan travel back in time to reignite the civil war (because peacetime is bad for bounty hunter business). Optimus confronts Lockdown in the final Boss Battle, wins and blasts the Dark Spark with the Matrix.

In the credits G1 Optimus sees the familiar purple meteor fall to Earth.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Well I polished off the last few levels last night. It was kinda cool to play as earth-Grimlock, even if once again all his moves were taken right from FOC Grimlock. Lockdowns forces became even MORE annoying - their catch phrase this time was 'He got away' which they yelled non stop EVEN AS I WAS RUNNING STRAIGHT TOWARDS THEM AND TAKING FIRE FROM 3 SIDES?!?! Awful! Playing as Prime at the end was ok but I don't think I had to transform once, and in the end fight the game wouldn't let you transform at all which was damn annoying for a TF game, plus there were times in that fight where transforming could have been handy.

The only highlight - right at the end (and I don't think I am spoiling anything with this as it's in no way intrical to the plot) you see a comet go over the desert they always used for G1 and road runner cartoons and G1 Optimus is looking up at it. Really REALLY made me want a G1 game based on the first two seasons of the cartoon! Went to sleep thinking about it.

So overall for the game:

Pros:
    -Get to play as Cyberton and Earth Optimus Prime
    -Grimlock feels very powerful
    -Fun in small doses
    -You get to play as Sharpshot (Shrapnel) and Shockwave in the main story
    -Interesting banter between some of the FOC-based Decepticon characters
    -Areas such as Kaon and Kohkular are explored somewhat
    -Some interesting TF lore

Cons:

-Weapons and moves all recycled from previous games
    -Most characters recycled from previous games
    -Drift and earth Bbee are boring to play as
    -Lackluster Cybertron environments
    -Awful earth environments
    -Irritating enemy characters (not hard, just annoying)
    -Gameplay a step down from FOC, not up
    -Little reason to transform and in some areas you cant at all!
    -Poor amalgamation of TF universes
    -Little replay value

So yeah, skip the game unless you want to play the Cybertron levels down the track.

Extra Note:
    Oh, and as a little add-on note, this game sadly has made me not want to watch 'Good Game' on the ABC anymore. Not because they scored the game poorly (it didn't deserve much better) but that Hex (the girl i had a crush on for a few years) talked about 'Yeah, I hardly felt the need to use the weapons, using the melee weapon was much more effective'. This is only true for the first part of the first level so it meant that she played it for about 20 minutes but still went on air and presented a review like she had played the whole game. Very dissppointing and casts doubt on all their reviews in my opinion.

...I guess that's what happens when big corporations and share holders care only about what money they could make out of a franchise, instead of making an amazing game with it's potential. Push, push, push... rush rush rush...make this, make that, I know we'll put both games into one... it will make green blah blah blah... get it out before the movie gets released... meh...

I've not played this personally but it sounds like we'd be better off with the 3DS version of this title. It looks like an upgraded version of the 'Transformers G1 Awakening' mobile game from many years back.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/...the_dark_spark