7 31.82%
  • Neither

0 0%
  • Both

13 59.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titans Return vs Combiner Wars

Default Titans Return vs Combiner Wars

So which do you prefer? I know it's early on and no one has had Titan Returns figures in hand, but it is already flogging CW. That's not too say I don't like CW, but the lines gimmicks will be cheaper and more affordable then CW.

Also Blaster reminds me of Micromaster stations, who've although I've never owned, I always liked the idea of getting scenery for your battles with figures. This basically upscaled it and made it a Transformer in its on right. Blaster is beautiful, and looks like he will have cassettes (Rewind and Stripes so far), and with Buzzsaw coming in CW the Soundwave remould is inevitable. Blaster is too big for Classics, and will probably end up on my MP shelf. Having the heads be able to be bought alone is awesome, especially given all Titan Masters work across Deluxe, Voyager and Leader! Hardhead and Skullcruncher look awesome. I prefer Hardhead, but Skullcruncher is still neat. I actually didn't like the 3rd party Hardhead MP because it had a mouth plate, but TR made it look awesome.
    Galvatron looks like if upscaled could be MP. His third mode looks like Cyclonus from that scene in TF:TM when he is flying around with Galvatron inside him bombing Ultra Magnus.

While the initial CW figures were cool, it has become Remould Wars, and has about 3 Limbless Torso figures.

You know how I said Blaster would go on the MP shelf? I changed my mind. Titan Returns will be getting its on shelf!
    Last edited by UltimateGalvatron; 8th October 2015 at 07:25 PM.
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

I don't really mind.

I collect primarily on nostalgia, so for me it is the characters that are the key. I had G1 Superion so was all over that but only had wildrider from menasor so didn't get Menasor. For Titan returns, I had blaster and Skullcruncher so really excited for them but not hard head or galvatron.

Tough call, I wouldn't say one line is better than the other - more that they're just difference facets of the same thing - the current version of the Classics-verse line.

I have a feeling the "newness" of the line compared to Combiner Wars is giving a biased reaction atm - I remember everyone going this nuts when CW was first announced - let's see what the feeling is in a year or so

I do like how there's a lot of interactivity between the different size classes - Leader & Legends, Deluxe & Voyager w/ the individual Titanmaster heads.

Character wise I don't have the same nostalgia value here with TR as I do with CW, as I grew up with S1/2 of the G1 show, didn't see the movie or S3 until much later, so I have more connection with the CW releases, but still looking to grab some of the TR ones.

For me Titan Returns looks like it will be more interesting than Combiner Wars, even though so far I've only seen two that I really want. Removing the combining gimmick from the CW toys, I found them to be very samey and not all that much fun to transform and play with, they almost all transform the same way.

Titan Returns brings back the possibility of deluxe toys that are fun independent of the rest of the line, but can still through the headmaster gimmick interact with the rest of the line if you want to. For combiner wars you need a set of 5 to get any use out of the gimmick.

Having said that I'm still not as keen as the Generations announcements of yesteryear, as most of these guys still look pretty cut down and I miss wrist articulation which is effectively dead now.

I can't see how they are competing, at least in my head. Even if they were, Titan Wars has only just been revealed, waaaaaay too early to make any kind of sensible call.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I can't see how they are competing, at least in my head. Even if they were, Titan Wars has only just been revealed, waaaaaay too early to make any kind of sensible call.
    Same, besides I still think its a little bit stupid to say which is better. Combiner Wars gives us the Combiners while Titan Returns gives us Blaster, a proper Galvatron, and the headmasters!

Whos the real winner here? The consumer.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

This Blaster's non symmetry top left and top right speaker protector is quite irritating to me

I'm not implying they are going up against each other, just saying which you prefer.
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

The easy and most obvious and probably accurate answer is "It's way too early to tell".

Titans Return appears to be much like Combiner Wars, as in they are new versions of Gen 1 characters. In that respect Combiner Wars deserves a lot of credit.

Combiner Wars can be credited with the following:
    *Giving us new Generations-styled figures of G1 toys that hadn't gotten one yet (Huffer, Sky Lynx, Bombshell etc)
    *Giving us Gen 1 inspired Combiner teams (Stunticons, Aerielbots, Protectobots, Constructicons, Combaticons)
    *Giving us versions of G1 characters that had already had the CHUG treatment that now combine. I have a few new versions of Hot Spot (GDO, Titanium etc) but none of them combine to form Defensor.
    *Giving a chance for people who missed out on previous CHUG figures of classic characters to grab them. For the most part they are inferior to the CHUG versions (Prowl, Sunstreaker, Hound, Cyclonus, Drag Strip etc) but it's a good second chance for many.
    *Even more multiverse versions of classic characters. I personally love to get many different versions of G1 characters for my displays.
    *GESTALTS! I'm loving all of them but frag Devastator rocks! It seems (amongst my mates anyway) that after Optimus and Soundwave that the third robot they can usually remember is Devastator.

Titans Return
    *A lot of the character revealed thus far have already had the CHUG treatment (Nightbeat, Blaster, Rewind, Hardhead, Galvatron etc) so it depends it you feel they needed better versions. I'm looking forward to having a Blaster that turns into a Ghetto Blaster, though I was pretty happy with my FOC version with his little warriors that you could eject. It remains to be seen if the Titans Return figures will be better or worse than those that came before. A lot of them do look like they will be an improvement, though many question the inclusion of a Headmaster gimmick on what were previously non-headmaster characters.
    *There are a few characters coming out that haven't had the CHUG treatment yet that I am looking forward to (Skullcruncher, Horri-Bull, Fortress Maximus etc). The more the merrier I say!

So while a lot of the CW figures were simplistic and there was a lot of mold-sharing, the CW line has been brilliant as a whole. I hope that Titans Return can prove to be even better, but they will have to pull out all the stops to do so in my opinion. But at this early stage, as I said at the top of this post, it is just way too early to tell. I certainly can't say without ever having touched a Titans Return figure which I prefer.