Page 90 of 195 FirstFirst ... 70808586878889909192939495100110 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    We've had photos of toy-swapping posted here in the past, but I didn't realise until tonight that there is even a page on TFWiki, with some amusing (but disappointing) example photos.
    This line says it all.
    Some people are obscenely self-entitled douchebags.
    Definitely can't point the finger at MISB collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Definitely can't point the finger at MISB collectors.
    That Soundwave repack though

Naw, we only have to deal with security tags and stickers, grubby fast food fingerprints and some other collectors deliberately crushing corners, boxes or cards.
    Now that I think about it, it's far more difficult being a sealed collector

I think Hursti needs that Soundwave variant for his collection !!!
    Dapto Dog for 2017

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    That Soundwave repack though
    Well, it is labelled as a 'Triple Changer', which is technically correct.

We are getting close to having a complete G1 cartoon lineup (that's US lineup Mr Gok, not Jp) in the CHUG line. I know this makes me sound like a cranky old man at only 33, but I'm finding myself getting a little annoyed at some of the characters that have previously been released getting new moulds.

The United Jazz mould seems superior to the PotP mould.

I already have a complete set of Seekers using the Classics Seeker mould (well at least as complete as you can get since since Acid Storm was the only Rainmaker released, and no the guys from the first episode are not the Rainmakers despite what some marketing guy at Funpub says).

The only reason why I'll get the new version of Rodimus is because we haven't gotten a trailer version of him in CHUG, but really this is like the 4th Western release of him.

I know not everyone likes the mould but I felt Sky Shadow was perfectly fine with his Deluxe incarnation from a few years ago. I know that Leader is a huge upgrade over Deluxe, but he is so obscure does he really need a new version?

And lets not forget the bazillion Optimus', Megatrons and Bumblebees over the years.

Really I just want a mould for each character done right ONCE. Then give other characters that have never gotten a proper CHUG representation some time in the spotlight. I kinda want new representations of the Micromasters, Actionmasters and the Euro G1 characters.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well... for example chasing Classics Seekers at sensible prices is a case of waiting for people who started collecting earlier to sell one. Either that or eBay prices. In my case I am waiting for a Dirge to show up. So continually releasing popular characters allows late comers to have a chance.

Alternatively I want old characters for my kids in a form that can survive play. I love my Generations Arcee but what I want is something rugged like the Blurr mold so Windblade and Strongarm can have another friend at Megatron's tea parties. (Don't ask.)

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Really I just want a mould for each character done right ONCE. Then give other characters that have never gotten a proper CHUG representation some time in the spotlight. I kinda want new representations of the Micromasters, Actionmasters and the Euro G1 characters.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but to be fair , it's still good to get those characters on more than one occasion in case people missed out on the first incarnation of those characters. For example, I only got back into collecting Transformers again in 2010, and by then I missed out on the Classics/Henkei Astrotrain and secondary market prices were unreasonable. Now that TR Astrotrain has been released, I now have an Astrotrain. I suspect a similar story to occur for someone who might miss out on MP Rodimus, TR Hot Rod, etc; but managed to catch the train in time for the PotP Rodimus Prime.

We are getting close to having a complete G1 cartoon lineup (that's US lineup Mr Gok, not Jp) in the CHUG line. I know this makes me sound like a cranky old man at only 33, but I'm finding myself getting a little annoyed at some of the characters that have previously been released getting new moulds.
    I sort of agree, and definitely felt the same a few years ago. As a general rule I try and have only one version of each character and/or mold - it's a self-imposed collecting guideline to help keep the collection from getting too over the top. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it helps keep my spending in check. So, you know, one character done right once is perfect for me.
    That said, these days my feelings on the matter have changed a bit...

I totally agree with you that the classic/'core' G1 cast has been done to death, and we should be seeing less well-known/more obscure characters getting some update love as well. That new PMoP Jazz looks 50 shades of meh to me, and I still really like my Animated Jazz just fine. But if HasTakTom can turn that mold into a decent Turbomaster or Aquaspeeder or Stormtrooper homage, then sweet...I've got a new character for the Odieverse and I get to enjoy a new mold.

But...

That's me as an adult collector with years of collecting behind me. Of course I've already got an Optimus and a Megatron and a Bumblebee I'm happy with. New fans, not so much. So I don't mind Hasbro/Takara-Tomy padding out the line with new versions of old/oft-repeated characters. Plus, people like us aren't the main target market for most Transformers - we're a niche market, roughly 10% of sales IIRC. The main market for mainline TFs is kids, via their (usually not TF-fan) parents, and that means they need to keep Optimus and Megatron and Bumbebee on the shelves, plus a bunch of 'old' characters that mum and dad vaguely remember from when they were kids. It's just how they pay for developing new molds etc. If having a Titans Return Inferno means I can get an updated Hosehead, then I'm down with it, and hopefully newer/more recent TF fans can get a new Inferno of their own.

So, what I'd like to see is pretty much what HasTakTom are doing now, only more/better so. By all means, give us Starscream #500 and Wheeljack #12 in the latest line, but also make the pre/remolds decent homages. They're doing pretty well at it so far, but I'd like to see it a bit more targeted - if the Titans Return line gimmick was basically Headmasters, then why did we get Triggerhappy and Doublecross updates but no full-sized Nightbeat or Siren? There are enough fire trucks and police cars that it could have been done, even without remolding. OK, Squeezeplay as a 'crab-monster' thing might be a bit of a hard sell, but would it really have been that hard to change some parts and give us an updated Repugnus to go with Doublecross/Twinferno? Likewise for Terri-bull and Grotusque? Or, could we have had a mass-retail Toxitron from the Octone/Optimus Prime tanker-truck mold? Flywheels from Megatron/Blitzwing? Couldn't that Titan Master Flywheels/Skytread have been replaced with a Micromaster transport homage?
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 28th July 2017 at 07:05 PM.

Got my MP Dirge from RK one week after placing my order and I didn't pay extra for faster shipping. I wish all TF retailers were that fast with shipping their orders...

Got my MP Dirge from RK one week after placing my order and I didn't pay extra for faster shipping. I wish all TF retailers were that fast with shipping their orders...
    Feels good doesn't it?