Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Transformers: The Movie 30th Anniversay Edition

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Nope. It was originally produced in normal (TV) format, and then had the top and bottom cropped for theatre release. Some video/dvd versions had the restored original format, but others cropped the sides of the cropped theatre release, giving even less of the screen. It means that it is hard to know when a new release is the original "full" version until you see it for yourself... so at least on this occasion, they are giving a preview first, to let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The cover MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! posted shows it's got two aspect ratios on the disc.
    Looking at the back of the cover, it looks like you might be able to select the ratio you want. I much prefer this over being forced with the wrong ration. As it has cinema "widescreen" as well as "full frame" listed. That gives this release a bit more merit in my mind.

For those interested, this release finally got me to finish a post on cinema and TV screen ratios that I started when the first Avengers movie came out. It just managed to sit in my draft section for a long long time. On the plus side, I also got motivated to make up some better pictures for the post.

Cinema Ratios , an explanation

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It was originally produced in normal (TV 4:3) format[/URL], and then had the top and bottom cropped for theatre release.
    To be fair, that was standard practice for any film being shot in 1.85:1 (standard cinema widescreen - not scope/anamorphic which was approx. 2.35-2.39:1).

An example of the era being Back to the Future. The DVDs cut off the top and bottom when compared to the VHS, but the intent was the image displayed in the theatre.

Now, given that yes, TFTM was likely destined for 4:3, they were no doubt more aware of the area that was being cropped, I would still suggest that shots were primarily composed for cinema ratio.

My thoughts? Always go with intent and TFTM was intended to be released theatrically. I'll happily watch the widescreen version as that was how it was intended to be seen in theatres.

Which brings us to where we are today...

Still a DVD / Bluray comparison. Would be interested in seeing a BluRay/new BluRay comparison.

In this video I actually prefer the more muted colours of the before shots. The red orange of Autobot City, a flatter looking sky and too dark sliced open grill on Prime in the "After" don't make me go wow.

Does anyone have the movie on laser disc?

Looks great to me. The detail in the new transfer is fantastic. Make sure you have the clip run at 1080p so Facebook compression is less of an issue. The line-art detail is awesome.

Pre-ordered the Steelbook and the regular BD from Amazon last night.

Sounds like my Madman Bluray will do for now: http://m.bluray.highdefdigest.com/34...sthemovie.html

Yeah, my Madman blu-ray seems adequate for now.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Kinda disappointing to see, but the guy has done his research. I wonder why studios have problems getting colours right, just look at the various iterations Star Wars Episode 4 has had, with things as basic as lightsabre colours as well as one release having this green tinge.

Given I've only got the Madman DVD, a bluray purchase is still a step up, so I'd still be open to getting this one.

Would really love a 4k version of the original UK 4:3 (with black vertical lines on the sides I guess) don't think this one will be that though o_O

after reading that review it doesn't seem to be that great compared to the previously released bluray version already