Page 79 of 120 FirstFirst ... 596974757677787980818283848999 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you never realised about Transformers (toys etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    There is an Arcee hand variant. So I haven't opened mine... was the closed hand one rare?
    Yeah that's the first release. It looks better/more natural when she's holding her weapons.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Unfortunately the head switch didn't work. That guy's G1 Brainstorm must have a defective spring mechanism. G1 Arcana's shoulder tabs (which activates Brainstorm's tech specs meter) makes it impossible for him to binary bond with Voyager Brainstorm.

It's Generations Head with G1 body..... not G1 head with Gen Body as your post says you tried....
    Last edited by griffin; 23rd August 2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: board userguide

There's 5mm hole under Skullsmasher's gator head!

It's Wreck-Gar, not Wreck Gar.

P.S.: Just to make things clear, this comment was aimed at myself. I got CW Wreck-Gar yesterday and noticed it had a hyphen. I then went and checked and realised that Wreck-Gar has always had a hyphenated name! Made me feel like a massive dope for not noticing all this time!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th October 2016 at 11:36 AM.

I've long known that Kasper Gutman (Maltese Falcon) was the inspiration for Gutt in G1's Matrix Quest story, "Bird of Prey" (as the references to that film abound ), but I didn't know that Gutman was also the inspiration for Deceptitran and Cryotek!

I just took a look through TFwiki's list of G1 toys. To my surprise the vast majority of 84, 85 and 86 G1 toys have CHUG representations either released or coming soon.

Here are the ones that don't.

85 Bots
    Slag, Sludge Snarl, Swoop, Topspin, Twintwist, Omega Supreme, Power Dashers and Omnibots

85 Cons
    Barrage, Ransack, Venom

86 Bots
    Hubcap and Outback.

86 Cons
    Predacons and the individual robots that make Reflector.

87 has a lot more gaps but HasTak seems to be doing a good job of plugging the gaps with the Titans Return line.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I just took a look through TFwiki's list of G1 toys. To my surprise the vast majority of 84, 85 and 86 G1 toys have CHUG representations either released or coming soon.
    See this thread.

P.S.: Something I never realised before... if you negative-invert Omega Supreme's colours you end up with the colours for GADEP/Guardian Robot.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 23rd October 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Until I was actually looking at the figure in hand, I didn't realise the single release repaint of RiD Sawtooth had different clear energon parts to the Battle Pack release
    Sadly these parts can't be plugged into Strongarm. But it at least helps to give the single release Sawtooth more reason to pick it up if you already have the battle pack version
    I've decided to rename the single release Ripjaws

Daburu

TR Doublecross^Twinferno's Titan Master's name is Daburu, which is the Japanese version of the English※ word "double." Doublecross is called "Daburukurosu" (ダブルクロス) in Japanese, so really... Twinferno's Titan Master's name is literally "Double." And if you're having trouble pronouncing "Daburu" correctly (no stress on any syllable and all short vowels; which is hard for most English speakers) then just say "Double," because that's actually what it is.

I think that this is a neat nod to Doublecross' original name since Hasbro evidently weren't able to secure the rights to the name "Doublecross," they've instead homaged it by Anglocising the Japanisation of the Anglophone name! *phew*

Throttle

TR Getaway^Breakaway's Titan Master is called Throttle, which strikes me as odd because Throttle was originally Darkwing's Nebulan partner, and Getaway's partner was Rev. And Hasbro had the rights to the name Rev (or at least spelt as "R.E.V."). Granted it's been 13 years since they last used that name, so it's absolutely possible that Hasbro's lost the rights to that name, but I wonder why they couldn't have approximated it differently or just used a wholly different/new name? Heck, do another Japanese homage call it Lightfoot or Zetca. The problem with using the name "Throttle" is that if Hasbro ever decide to release a TR Darkwing^Darkwind later on, then what are they going to call his partner? Or does this mean that Hasbro have no intention of releasing a TR Darkwind?

Autobot Hot Rod

Eeeeeyyy! Hasbro's FINALLY managed to secure the rights to the name "Hot Rod," even if it's with "Autobot" in front of it! Huzzah! We've been waiting for this since 2002 when Hasbro released their version of reissue Hot Rod as "Rodimus Major," then just "Rodimus" which as become the staple and accepted Hasbro version of that character's name ever since. It even became canonically official that Hot Rod changed his name to just "Rodimus." Does this mean that The Last Knight's Hot Rod will actually be called (Autobot) Hot Rod and not Rodimus? Eeenteresting...

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ※From the French word "double" (say "doo'bl"), which came from the Latin word dūplus meaning "twice as many." The Latin word for "double" (as in "two of something" (e.g. having a spare)) is duplicātus and the word for "double" as in multiplying something by two is duplex.

That's the beauty of owning your own toys, you can toss officiality (ha! I made a new word!) out with the packaging and still call them by whatever name you choose.

Obviously you'd still call them by their designated names to avoid confusion when dealing with others, but if Hasbro were to release a Darkwind, I'd still call his partner Throttle. Just like I'd call Highbrow's partner Gort, rather than Ecks-ort , or however you'd pronounce Xort*.

*yes, I know it's pronounced with a Z.