Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

*mega face palm*
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

anytime your up Brisbane way your more than welcome to join me for a spar or swap techniques/ideas Gok

Just be carefull starting up a 'fight club'... as in don't call it a fight club lol. That sort of name will attract unwanted attention and has negative connotations. Forming a training group can be great though, I have been part of one in the past and learnt some interesting concepts and techniques that I wouldn't have normally been exposed to. One thing to watch though is if people get hurt. I would hate to see you on the end of some nasty litigation if one of your training buddies get's injured and decides to sue (may never happen but in today's day and age you have to consider it). As the organiser you may be held responsible? Maybe someone here who has legal knowledge could advise??

After watching that previous youtube vid I found this one. All I can say is HADOUKEN!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n...eature=related

feel free to reply with any facepalm images you think are worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    It's a shame we all live so far apart otherwise we could have an Ozformer fight club It's one thing to talk styles but I would really like to see others styles to compare plus I would love to get in some more sparring time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    if we were only all in the same area
    +1. That would be an awesome idea if we lived in the same locale (or had teleportation devices ). It's so hard to discuss this kind of stuff in text, whereas when you talk about this stuff with people IRL it's much faster and more efficient! I find it's a case of "a move speaks a thousand words."

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rodimus View Post
    anytime your up Brisbane way your more than welcome to join me for a spar or swap techniques/ideas Gok
    Thanks dude, and likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rodimus View Post
    Just be carefull starting up a 'fight club'... as in don't call it a fight club lol. That sort of name will attract unwanted attention and has negative connotations. Forming a training group can be great though, I have been part of one in the past and learnt some interesting concepts and techniques that I wouldn't have normally been exposed to. One thing to watch though is if people get hurt. I would hate to see you on the end of some nasty litigation if one of your training buddies get's injured and decides to sue (may never happen but in today's day and age you have to consider it). As the organiser you may be held responsible? Maybe someone here who has legal knowledge could advise??
    I've organised and participated in informal training gatherings before too, and I did look into the legality of it. My understanding is that it falls under third party public liability - which means that whoever hurts someone else is legally liable. It's pretty much the same liability that happens for any other sport activity run by private individuals. For example, we could form say a cricket team and play/train in the park. If say Bartrim were to hit me with a cricket ball and I sustained injury, then he may be liable. This is why martial arts schools take out insurance which covers them in the event of injury.

But I think that within reason it would be possible. If anyone here is thinking about starting up such groups in your local area, here are some suggestions:
    + Agree that everyone participates at their own risk.
    + Only allow people who have a prior martial arts training/experience participate.
    + Agree to a set of rules for the sake of safety. If someone doesn't agree, then don't train with them. For example, the last group I was involved with was with MMA and MT fighters. After I badly hurt one of them in the groin, I purchased an external groin guard for my partners to used, but at the next training session, they refused to wear it -- more concerned about just not targetting the groin rather than wearing it for safety. So I refused to continue training with them and left the group.

...basically, you just use common sense. Train hard, but keep each other safe.

I would also consider purchasing training equipment too. I personally have chest protectors, head protectors, groin guard, shin guards, mitts, focus pads, kick shield, boxing bag, gym mat etc. -- so I'm equipped to practise with other like minded MA enthusiasts. I guess I just gotta build some contacts around my area. I know one guy near who lives near me that I used to train with. And I've started forming a rapport with some of the people I'm training with at GKR, so I might be able to get some of them on board (particularly one brown belt who seems promising and has expressed his frustration to me about his training).

Another thing I've enjoyed about these informal training groups is that you get to meet a variety of people of different MA backgrounds... you don't get that so much in MA school settings where most people are trained in the same style. So it's a good way to test your own training/style against others too... cos often you see people fight a certain way and think to yourself, "I wonder what I'd do against that?" You can theorise all you like, but you'll never know unless you try. The worst injury I've sustained from training outside a school was a bruise near my rib after trying out some European Broadsword! I totally suck at weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    +1. That would be an awesome idea if we lived in the same locale (or had teleportation devices ). It's so hard to discuss this kind of stuff in text, whereas when you talk about this stuff with people IRL it's much faster and more efficient! I find it's a case of "a move speaks a thousand words."

Thanks dude, and likewise.

I've organised and participated in informal training gatherings before too, and I did look into the legality of it. My understanding is that it falls under third party public liability - which means that whoever hurts someone else is legally liable. It's pretty much the same liability that happens for any other sport activity run by private individuals. For example, we could form say a cricket team and play/train in the park. If say Bartrim were to hit me with a cricket ball and I sustained injury, then he may be liable. This is why martial arts schools take out insurance which covers them in the event of injury.

But I think that within reason it would be possible. If anyone here is thinking about starting up such groups in your local area, here are some suggestions:
    + Agree that everyone participates at their own risk.
    + Only allow people who have a prior martial arts training/experience participate.
    + Agree to a set of rules for the sake of safety. If someone doesn't agree, then don't train with them. For example, the last group I was involved with was with MMA and MT fighters. After I badly hurt one of them in the groin, I purchased an external groin guard for my partners to used, but at the next training session, they refused to wear it -- more concerned about just not targetting the groin rather than wearing it for safety. So I refused to continue training with them and left the group.

...basically, you just use common sense. Train hard, but keep each other safe.

I would also consider purchasing training equipment too. I personally have chest protectors, head protectors, groin guard, shin guards, mitts, focus pads, kick shield, boxing bag, gym mat etc. -- so I'm equipped to practise with other like minded MA enthusiasts. I guess I just gotta build some contacts around my area. I know one guy near who lives near me that I used to train with. And I've started forming a rapport with some of the people I'm training with at GKR, so I might be able to get some of them on board (particularly one brown belt who seems promising and has expressed his frustration to me about his training).

Another thing I've enjoyed about these informal training groups is that you get to meet a variety of people of different MA backgrounds... you don't get that so much in MA school settings where most people are trained in the same style. So it's a good way to test your own training/style against others too... cos often you see people fight a certain way and think to yourself, "I wonder what I'd do against that?" You can theorise all you like, but you'll never know unless you try. The worst injury I've sustained from training outside a school was a bruise near my rib after trying out some European Broadsword! I totally suck at weapons.
    mutual training is awesome if organised and controlled well. some of my best experience come from this type of setting
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    After watching that previous youtube vid I found this one. All I can say is HADOUKEN!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n...eature=related

feel free to reply with any facepalm images you think are worthy.
    I spent a bit of time hunting around reading and watching vids online of bogus martial arts and had quite the laugh at these no touch knock out people. Here is another one, who actually trained under that George Dillman goose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1yXYOsxQk

Notice UFC fighter Stephan Bonnar at 3:32 After not being able to knock out any of the BJJ fighters he claims that this will only work on 40% of people and it is very hard to use it on pro-athletes because of their training... but he couldn't even use it effectively on the reporter

For me I prefer to use the sonic boom over the hadouken

I'll check that vid out when I get home. But yeah, I've definitely heard stories about these kinds of schools. Also, because my MA experience has predominantly been in internal MAs, I've seen these kinds of people before IRL. There was a guy in a group that I used to train with who absolutely believed in this sort of thing... that he can expel his chi energy and kill you without touching you blah blah blah. Trying to argue with these kinds of people is like trying to argue with people who are extremely supersitious or religious to the point that they block out logic and common sense. Like any time I'd ask him to demonstrate this power to me, the excuse would be, "I can't, otherwise I'd badly hurt you or might end up killing you." I'd say, "Yeah, I'll take that risk. Try me." but he'd repeat the same thing and say, "I won't use my power unless I'm under a real attack," and of course, I'm not about to assault the guy to prove a point, so he wins.

Then I'd ask him what he'd do to defend himself if he were attacked, but the attacker wasn't presenting him with lethal force. Like say if someone had grabbed his shoulder in a threatening way... most of us would physically do something to escape and/or counter that grab, but then we'd quickly assess the threat before choosing what an appropriate response would be. Like if someone's trying to grab shoulder so they can swipe your bag, you can't deliver a lethal blow... then you'd be up for manslaughter charges. But he was like, "If someone attacks me then they deserve to die. I can't be held responsible for that." And again, repeatedly headbutting a brick wall was less painful than trying to argue against that with this guy! He thought the rest of us were being stupid and foolish for training in tactile self defence.

He was just completely delusional and completely convinced about his ability to project energy to defend himself and kill people. The rest of us in the group distanced ourselves from him (he'd just stand several metres away from us and do solitary form practice all the time) and just laugh at him... and not just about his conceptions of combat, but also because he wore this super-tight see-through shirt that showed off his ... erm... "radio dials" <shudder>... and he frequently had his fly undone. But nobody was gonna tell him that. We all just kept telling each other that any one of us would just so love to be a fly on the wall if he ever found himself in a situation where he had to defend himself! I can just imagine him holding his hands out imagining that he's projecting his chi energy to kill his attacker... yeah. Maybe the attacker would laugh so hard or take pity so he wouldn't bother continuing the attack (in which case this guy would be totally convinced that his powers worked... like a Jedi Mind Trick).

I've heard of this one school that teaches students to fight like this. The teacher charges his students some ridiculous amount of money for each class (like $100/lesson?) ... and he even has students who regularly fly in from interstate just to train with him! Someone told me that he visited this school and saw the teacher "Force Pushing" the students around. He'd make a gesture, and the students would throw themselves back, falling down as if they'd been shoved by an invisible force. When he spoke to the students, they absolutely believed that their master had pushed them with an unseen force. He asked the students if any of them could do it, and they said, "Oh no, it takes a lifetime to achieve this." He then asked the master if he could demonstrate some of this force, and he said, "Oh no, without proper training you would die!" But he told me that these were the kind of people who just wanted to be conned into something... like they're desperate for some kind of emotional crutch. And he said that quite honestly, if this bogus MA school weren't ripping them off and giving them false hope, then somebody else would be. It's like that scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian where the big crowd keeps chasing Brian and won't leave him alone.

Ive been to a small circle jiu jitsu Seminar that Leon Jay took. The most memorable part was being moved by Qi.

I was extremely skeptical and starting thinking about the Roof i was working on the next day, Just to take my mind off it.
    I was facing away from him and it was like being pulled backwards off balance.
    So I can vouch personally that its real (I also learnt some awesome locks that I still use today)

Ive never seen a no touch KO so won't comment on it, but in the clip where Dillman was trying to affect the skeptic guy, all I could think was, Meh just hit the points and wipe that smug look off his face.
    Dillman's no mug, he looks silly in that clip but didn't it say he's 8th dan karate? Thats a lot of training.

Hunting: Alternators, Binaltechs. Loose or Boxed
    Hunting: Bravestar figure 'Thunderstick'
    Collection:My Collection

Thats what I can't believe. Dillman is 8th Dan so he must have some skills. He really doesn't need to resort to this BS.

BTW I'm not disputing the pressure point stuff because we do some pressure point work and I love it. So simple yet effective. It's the no touch knock outs that I think is rubbbish.