Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toys and individuality

Default Toys and individuality

It might be just me, but...

Do any of you feel that your toys sort of take on their own individual identity?

I'm not meaning anything like Toy Story. It's just that, despite being mass-produced objects, I find that the toys-particularly Transformers-I get become something more than pieces of sculpted plastic. They sort of rise above being a mass-produced commodity and sort of become beings in their own right-well, not living beings, obviously, but they just somehow become distinguished from other toys, and other versions of themselves.

I find with some that I start playing with them and sudddenly hit a pose and just stop. I get such a dynamic pose that I don't want to lose it, so it goes on the shelf and I sometimes find myself just staring at it for ages.

Does't happen with a lot but some figures lend themselves to it.

All toys have an individual identity, especially if they are played with. Unless you're talking about mass-packaged stuff like army men, but even then I tend to classify them into identifiable squads or have rarer moulds of men who assume an individual identity.

Toys may lose their identity if you own more than one of the same toy or if they are imprisoned in their own packaging.

My Henkei Cheetor has flaking chrome on one of his disc blades from me playing with it. So he has that individual attribute

Quote Originally Posted by mangis View Post
    I find with some that I start playing with them and sudddenly hit a pose and just stop. I get such a dynamic pose that I don't want to lose it, so it goes on the shelf and I sometimes find myself just staring at it for ages.

Hahaha, I thought I was the only one! As soon as I get the most groovy pose from my new Transformer I very carefully carry him over to the shelf and gently place him down into his new home amongst friends from the same series. Of course every other Transformer is in just the right pose and overall they complete one giant puzzle of jawesome. Then I'll stare at the glory and only rearrange them if I need to make space for new ones. It's a very delicate process! I can't tell you how much it annoys me how my Voyager Animated Seekers won't fit on the same shelf as my other Animated Decepticons...Dammit all!

I most definitely agree that Transformers toys take on their own identity, SilverDragon. It's hard to describe how or why but I think part of it has to do with how much we treasure these little plastic creations.

I've made individual personalities for my Transformers through my photocomics!

Old Gang
    Ax/Scorpion: Avid table-top role-player and part of Transmetal Terrorsaur's RPG group. Plays an Elven ranger.
    Brave Maximus: After a failed movie project failed to rake in the cash, some of the Car Robot Transformers moved on to Super Fire Convoy's production company, whereas others are looking for other new avenues. Brave Maximus has chosen to hit the Dance Dance Revolution circuit and has won several major tournaments for DDR, DDR-Max and DDR-Extreme.
    Convoy (Choro-Q): A member of a the SCM**. Presuming the persona of King Arthur, he seeks the Holy Grail.
    Convoy (Masterpiece): The youngest of the Convoy brothers, has started following G1 Optimus Prime around in public doing really silly things. Current whereabouts unknown.
    Dinobot: Avid table top role-player and part of Transmetal Terrorsaur's RPG group. A power-player who likes to amp his mage-characters up. Has a bad habit of overlooking specific rule technicalities, which usually become his character's undoing.
    Dirge: A member of Megatron's Decepticon club-house gang. Totally smitten with the Transfan known as Electrawoman and is desperate to win her affections, much to his melancholy.
    Gigatron: Another leading cast member of Battle Bots*, gets excited whenever someone uses a box cutter.
    Hot Shot: Suffers from Buzz-Lightyear Syndrome and believes that he actually is the real Hot Shot character, and not a toy.
    Obiwan Kenobi: Jedi padawan who is eager to beat up some battle droids... or Autobots, whichever comes first.
    Optimus Primal: Optimus Prime's disciple... although somewhat suspicious of his master's true motives.
    Optimus Prime (G1): "Knowing is half the battle, and the other half is violence." Optimus Prime thrives on his dry sarcastic wit and penchance for acts of violence, vandalism and just downright kuh-razy-ness! His baby brother, Masterpiece Convoy, sometimes joins him in his wild antics. Also runs a Dojo where he supposedly trains other Transformers to be violent.
    Outback: Biggest beer-swilling lout in the playroom. Organises annual "Chug-Fests" where he, Stealth Armour Iron Man and Megalligator get totally blind drunk. Unicron is the newest member of their fraternity.
    Qui-Gon Jinn: Jedi Knight who is suspicious about the nature of his light sabre... hrmm.
    Lamborghinis Anonymous: A support group for all Lamborghini Transformers who suffer from chronic depression.
    Magmatron: Part of Terrorsaur's table top role-playing group, spends more time raiding Terrorsaur's fridge for snacks and soda rather than doing any serious role-playing... or even paying attention to what his character's doing... or is located.
    Megalligator: Last seen unconscious in an empty beer glass.
    Megatron: Leader of the club-house gang, who like to hang out... and do... umm... stuff. Megatron originally formed the club so he could conquer stuff like other people's lunches, but the rest of the club told him to sod off, so he's doing that on his own.
    Mini-Con Sea Team: A trio of vigilantes who hang around the pool... unfortunately they tend to shoot anything that moves.
    Moon: An amorous Cassanova who females - both toys and humans - find absolutely irresistable.
    Rodimus Primal: Cool-headed and practical, Rodimus Primal saved the playroom for near certain destruction during the Unicron Trilogy.
    Shockwave (Micron Legend): Also goes by the name of Tidalwave. Very friendly and likes to meet new toys. Was torn in half by Unicron and now drags himself around on a skateboard.
    Chrome Bluestreak: An avid Star Wars nut who likes to impersonate protocol droids.
    Starscream: A member of Megatron's Decepticon club-house gang and good friends with Thundercracker and Dirge.
    Stealth Armour Iron Man: The greatest alcoholic in the playroom. Loathed by fellow Marvel Legends figures, he has since joined Outback's drinking frat where he gets totally bloated.
    Submarauder: Trains hard in the pool in hopes of qualifying for the Playroom Olympic Team. Unfortunately, the Mini-Con Sea Team don't quite appreciate his athletic pursuits.
    Sunstorm: Also known as the "Wig-Genie," for he is the genie of the wig. Grants wishes, but the effects of the wish is temporary if you didn't say 'please' whilst making the wish (which nobody ever does).
    Super Fire Convoy: One of the main cast members of Battle Bots - very protective of other Japanese toys.
    Thundercracker: A member of Megatron's Decepticon club-house gang. Always keen to offer Dirge advice on his eternally failing relationships with women. Woman.
    Thundercracker (SCF): A member of the SCM. Presumes the persona of the Black Knight and has since been blasted to bits.
    Tow-Line: Immensely popular musical idol. Recently became embroiled in a scandal after he started being seen with a human pop star. Fans and journalists don't quite know what to make of this odd relationship.
    Transmetal Terrorsaur: Dungeon masters a small group of table top role-play gaming geeks.
    Unicron: When first opened, Unicron went on a destructive rampage until his was thwarted by Rodimus Primal. Since then he's become a peaceful lovechild and beer-swilling drunkard at Outback's booze-frat.
    Wig-Genie: See Sunstorm.

New Gang
    BB: Converted into a Knock-Off "Classics" BB by Classics Megatron, was driven insane and assaulted Bumblebee for supposedly 'stealing' his name. He's now become a professional wrestler.
    Bumblebee (G1, yellow): Upgraded into Classics Bumblebee. Got in a fight with KO Classics BB and has since become a professional wrestler.
    Bumblebee (G1, red): Tried (unsuccessfully) to become Classics Cliffjumper.
    Bumblebee (movie): Deeply religious. A member of a Shakespearean theatre company.
    Bumblejumper: Was transformed into Classics Bumblejumper - much to his delight.
    Cliffjumper (G1, red): Tried (unsuccessfully) to become Classics Cliffjumper.
    Cliffjumper (G1, yellow): Tried (unsuccessfully) to become Classics Cliffjumper.
    Cybertron Hot Shot/Cybertron Defence Hot Shot: Cybertron Hot Shot was powered up by Laser Prime's sword and became Cybertron Defence Hot Shot. He and Laser Ultra Magnus are jocks who love to torment nerds.
    Downshift (G1)/Cybertron Downshift: Downshift became Cybertron Downshift when he was powered up by Laser Prime's sword. He offended the Wheeljacks who had him banished.
    Downshift (Energon): Also banished by the Wheeljacks.
    Gatchaman Godmother: Possesses the gift to upgrade Transformers into Classics. Successfully took legal action against Classics Megatron only to become abducted by him and forced to upgrade him to his Masterpiece form before he freed her.
    Iron Man (Ultimate): Master of the ineffectual martial art of Tae Kwon Leap. His lead student was the Punisher.
    Megatron (G1): After becoming Classics Megatron he was sued by the Gatchaman Godmother and lived as a homeless bum amongst Animorphs and knock offs. Eventually forced the Gatchaman Godmother to make him Masterpiece and freed her, but currently suffers from alcohol addiction.
    Monstructor: Feels that he should be worth more than guide price despite his dimunitive stature and relative obscurity.
    Optimus Prime (G2): Was upgraded to Ultimate Battle Optimus Prime by the Gatchaman Godmother. An ruthless martial artist, he debunked Tae Kwon Leap, much to the Punisher's chagrin. His top student is Kicker.
    Primus: Worshipped as a deity by others, although never claims to be one. Enjoys initiating "Stacks On!" dogpiles.
    Prowl (Binaltech): A nerd obsessed with military history, warfare, strategy -- anything to do with the history and theory of war (but never anything practical). A new member of Terrorsaur's table top role-playing group, he's introduced a new dimension to their games by using miniatures and terrained maps. Their campaigns usually go on for days on end so they end up living off take-away junk food.
    Prowl (Henkei): The only Classics Autobot gifted with common sense and thus seen by his comrades as a tactical genius.
    Silverbolt (Beast Wars Fuzor): Part of a Shakespearean theatre company.
    Snarl (Animated): Tormented by his identity crisis.
    Ultra Magnus: G1 Ultra Magnus inherited G1 Prime's power sword and became Laser Magnus. He and Cybertron Defence Hot Shot are jocks who pick on nerds. After the upgrade wore off he was transformed into Classics Ultra Magnus and attempted to (unsuccessfully) hit onto the Gatchaman Godmother. Still thinks he's Primus' gift to females though.
    Wheeljacks (G1 & Binaltech): Wheeljack purists who punish posers.
    Sunstorm (Cybertron Legends): Has joined a religious movement with "Wig Genie" Sunstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer
    Quote Originally Posted by mangis

Hahaha, I thought I was the only one! As soon as I get the most groovy pose from my new Transformer I very carefully carry him over to the shelf and gently place him down into his new home amongst friends from the same series. Of course every other Transformer is in just the right pose and overall they complete one giant puzzle of jawesome. Then I'll stare at the glory and only rearrange them if I need to make space for new ones. It's a very delicate process!
    I used to do that as a kid. Now we have the Action Pose thread

---------------
    *Battle Bots: A photo-comic style movie starring various international and domestic cast members from Car Robot, RiD and Machine Wars. A playroom box-office hit where the actors have since become celebrities.
    **SCM: Society of Creative Mechanoids. A warped medieval recreation society for toys that can't even be bothered to make costumes or weapons, so they use guns instead. Their so-called "medieval" personas are based on movie characters rather than actual historically researched or even historically feasible persons.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    It might be just me, but...

Do any of you feel that your toys sort of take on their own individual identity?

I'm not meaning anything like Toy Story. It's just that, despite being mass-produced objects, I find that the toys-particularly Transformers-I get become something more than pieces of sculpted plastic. They sort of rise above being a mass-produced commodity and sort of become beings in their own right-well, not living beings, obviously, but they just somehow become distinguished from other toys, and other versions of themselves.
    no

there names and personalities are dictated by the fiction

Quote Originally Posted by roller
    That in itself gives the toys individuality and is something I've always loved about Transformers. I like the fact that, generally speaking, each of my toys is an individual.

Though I agree with Lint that this feeling would negated when you have mass multiples and MISP figures as that's when they start feeling more like commodoties than your friends. I must admit that when I take my toys outside with me, it's like taking a little friend with you. My wife and I did some banking today with Henkei Inferno. As I was talking to the bank consultant I put Henkei Inferno on the desk facing the computer monitor so that he can "see" what's happening. Ohohohohohohohohohohohoho!

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    no

I tend to disregard and discard the fiction on some of the newer characters, its just to badly written or doesn't seem to have anything to do with the mould.

An example of this for me is the extended movie range. I consider my Towline and Salvage to be Ironhides proteges given there both tough sorta trucks and well armed like Ironhide. They make a good team.

Default woohoo - im not alone ...

"I was expecting a giant car."

[COLOR="STUFF FOR SALE [/B][/COLOR]

Non-TF SALE

TRANSFORMERS SALE!