View Poll Results: BH VOY Shockwave - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 52.17%
  • Only if...

6 26.09%
  • Not worth it

1 4.35%
  • I'm not even interested

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Beast Hunters VOY Shockwave

Default Toy Review: Beast Hunters VOY Shockwave

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Beast Hunters
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 2
    Released here - not yet (released globally March 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - $40-50
    Approximate Size - 16cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian Tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Spinning Cannon, Beast Armour
    Main Colours - Purple, grey, bronze, dark pink
    Main Accessories - 3x armour, cannon?

Considering how much this character has been hyped up in the last year (since BotCon in April 2012), this toy is worse than a let-down... it should never have been released with such lazy engineering.
    Actually, of the four Beast Hunters toys I got on the weekend (Shockwave, DLX Skystalker, Dreadwing, Ratchet), I am getting the impression that Beast Hunters toys were rushed to prepare for the Movie line for next year. None of the new moulds are all that creative, and the modified moulds ruin the various toys we would at least be able to fall back on (for familiarity and the mostly-earthen modes they originally had).

Shockwave pretty much lies on its back and has one arm folded back and one arm (the gun arm) folded up. The head isn't even hidden.
    It's like a cross between the Energon Shockwave/blast and TF2 Tank Megatron.
    It doesn't even have the "power cable" from the gun to his back like in the cartoon.

As another element of their laziness with this year's line, the Cmdr class version looks to transform exactly the same, which means they aren't creating new transformations, they are just copying existing ones wherever possible. (DLX Dreadwing is almost identical in transformation to the Cmdr Dreadwing/Skyquake toys)
    With less details and no gun cable, the Voyager one would be the better looking one... but I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

The only redeeming feature of this toy is that the beast armour comes off. If it didn't, this would definitely be a toy to avoid. As it is, and being in the cartoon, it barely scrapes in as a "buy only if really cheap".
    Actually, I liked the spinning arm gun gimmick, but that isn't a reason to buy a toy.

It doesn't even have the "power cable" from the gun to his back like in the cartoon.
    Just a correction to this. Looking at the TakaraTomy version, I see that one of the tank treads folds out to plug into the gun-arm... which isn't shown in the Hasbro official image above.

That's really disappointing. I was actually looking forward to this toy From the pictures I have seen, it makes more sense to pick up the Commander Class version as such shortcomings in transformation can be forgiven at that scale, not Voyager.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

the arms do bother me, i'm sure with a bit more effort they could have thought of a way around the one arm underneath. But aside from the dodgy transformation I think the robot mode is fantastic. The design reminds me of something from Mospeada,as if Shockwave was somehow infiltrating the Invid.

Unhappy

Overall he is pretty good but he does have some lousy engineering, especially here:

I'm going to say I disagree with what the others have been saying about this figure. I love it.

I do think the alt mode is a little boring, but it does its job well, and I think the robot mode is very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSoundwave View Post
    Overall he is pretty good but he does have some lousy engineering, especially here:
    I have lousy engineering in that area also so know how he feels!
    But this is a great looking Shockwave IMO. Like other 'toys' in my collection, it would never get transformed more than twice so yeah.

To me this is one of those figures I was really looking forward to but when I get him he's just not that good and gets old pretty quickly.

The ratchet in the hips is disappointing as a lot of reviews have pointed out and his alt mode is pretty meh, but with that all being said he is still a great looking Shockwave. Do not pay over retail for him as it is not worth it, but pick him up if you find him at a fair price point, after all its Shockwave and it is only logical to have him in your collection.