Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 102025262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Thanks again for the article(s) Maz! Keep up the good work!

I've watched his visit does for years, but never actually seen a photo of him before. Nice to put a face to the name
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Second Time Around

First impressions are everything, or so the saying goes. Is it different for Transformers toys? We can occasionally find ourselves the victims of hype, influence and enabling. The enthusiasm of a friend, a group or the fandom generally can rub off on us and we may buy things we initially didn’t want to. So, it helps to see Transformers toys in hand, in the flesh, before making a decision. As part of an active and ever-growing group of local Transformers enthusiasts in London, we bring new Transformers to pub meets and fascinate/horrify the other patrons with our tables full of robots. This is a great way for collectors to experience figures and make more informed buying decisions. However, occasionally the experience of exploring a new toy while in a large group of people, in dimly lit surroundings and in a social environment may result in an inaccurate assessment. Sometimes, just coming back to a toy after a period of time, or after some modifications, can make a big difference. This week I look at my experience with a select group of Transformers where the second time around has yielded a much more favourable response.

Second Time Around | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Jump Species

Our collecting mentality is unique to us, and it’s hard not to apply the same approach to all areas of toy buying. One could argue that the collecting strategy of a vintage G1 Transformers variant collector is not the same as that of a fan who collects mainline Transformers exclusively. The common perception is that vintage collecting is a more costly exercise than mainline collecting, and for the most part I think we can agree on that. However, when a traditionally vintage and variant collector like myself moves onto more modern toy lines, the condition – if I may call it that – can ‘jump species’. It happened when I collected MTMTE comic cover variants, it happened to some degree with my Robots In Disguise collecting and only limited funds allied to low availability of certain exclusives managed to curtail the same behaviour in my Masterpiece buying.

Jump Species | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default What makes a TF toy great?

Is it possible to apply a pre-agreed set of criteria to any Transformers toy in order to decide if it is worthy of being called great? Is it possible to apply a very aggressive agenda to such a question and twist the words of your contributors in such a way as to make a toy of your choosing qualify as great under those conditions? The answer to both of those questions, this week, is yes! Obviously this will not be an exhaustive analysis of what qualifies a Transformers toy to be heralded as great, but it does allow us to split the topic into a few categories where our contributors tell us what it is about specific aspects of a figure that makes a Transformer stand out to them.

What Makes A Transformers Toy Great? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Creativity has been part of the Transformers collecting scene for as long as I can remember, whether it’s been fan fiction, fan art or photography, but that creativity is not limited to words and images. Transformers toys have that signature selling point of changing between (hopefully) recognisable modes, and so unlike many toys, Transformers allow the imagination to take physical form in un-documented configurations, otherwise known as fan modes. Combiner Wars and Titans Return have been particularly good for fans who like to come up with their own alternate modes, since play value has seemingly been placed at the centre of the design philosophy instead of accuracy, simplicity or aesthetics. This week we explore the reasons why some collectors are so drawn to creating their own fan modes for Transformers toys.

Rise Of The Fan Modes | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default I love it, you hate it

Occasionally we stumble across a Transformers toy that ticks all the right boxes, strikes a chord, presses the right buttons etc, and yet leaves a majority of others cold. There are plenty of unpopular figures in the Transformers toy universe, both official and otherwise. Some figures, however, were supposed to be game changers and all time greats that for some reason don’t fulfil their promise in the eyes of the majority. Even if the criticism is justified and I understand the hatred for certain Transformers toys, on a handful of occasions I have not had my own appreciation or enjoyment of them dampened. In each case, however, there have been mitigating circumstances.

I Love It, You Hate It | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default When is it collecting?

Can it really be called Transformers collecting when we were children and someone was buying the toys for us? Isn’t that just having toys as opposed to a conscious dedication to the collecting of a particular brand or toy line? These interesting questions were posed by a forum member recently and it instantly made me think of the distinctive aspects of collecting versus having and receiving.

When Is It Collecting? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Some countries and locations are well associated with the finding, purchasing and collecting of Transformers or 3rd party products. North America, parts of mainland Europe, UK, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Australia are examples that come to mind. This could be down to large online retailers, local communities and large chain stores. Having just left the UK and moved to Iceland at the height of my Titans Return collecting, just before the release of four big Masterpiece items, wave 3 of Titans Return and a slew of significant 3rd party releases and product samples, I summarise the challenges involved in transporting my hobby to what is, by TF standards, an isolated location.

How Do I Collect Here? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

It’s that time of year again where we tend to list our favourite Transformers-related toy purchases. Quite often I’ve been very clear on which bots will populate the top of the list and 2016 is no different. What has really surprised me, though, is that for the third year running, I feel the overall quality of official and unofficial toys we’ve been getting has improved drastically. I usually do a top five, but this year I had to extend it to a top ten over two weeks because there was no way a single article could do justice to the incredible year we’re having for new toys. I still can’t quite believe the figures I’ve had to leave out. Please keep in mind that this list is based entirely on my own preferences, opinions and purchases, and I did not buy everything this year, therefore if a figure you love is missing you can put it down to that. So without further ado, and one prays no more adieus, here are numbers ten to six of 2016.

Top 10 of 2016 – Part 1 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz