Page 10 of 154 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

I loved Promethues, a really well-done movie but I hate Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, such an annoying character. I loved Vickers and David though as I could relate to them so much more than the others. The story was told in a respecting manner, not spoon-feeding the audience but leaving it up to the viewer and their own intellect to comprehend what was going on. Though I felt cheaped out at some points of the film, I always felt intrigued by what I saw on the screen from start-to-finish. Every scene was fascinating and had a purpose. Great film experience, highly worth recommending watching in cinemas.

I do understand some of the points of criticism against this film in previous posts, but my review of this film is based on whether I enjoyed what I saw in the cinemas today, not what I had expected from it due to its connections to the Alien series. The movie does has its flaws of course, but I was entertained by it. A solid 10/10 for me.

10/10? How can you say that about a movie that continually has stuff like this...

[spoilers]
    -Staff spend 2 years asleep to use their skill set somewhere far away
    -Geologist tells Biologist he's in it for the money, not to make friends
    -As soon as the Geologist sees the purpose of them traveling so far (discovering life eg. a 2000 year old corpse) he bails out immedietly (what about the money?)
    -The freaking Biologist of all people GOES WITH HIM. Discovery of a lifetime? Whatever dudes!
    -Despite having tech that can fully map an interior in 3D, the geologist and biologist get lost. How the **** did this happen? Once again, it doesn't make sense.
    -A plot device (sand storm) approaches trapping the two in the cave system.
    -The two keep walking around (why would they? Aren't they scared shitless? Wouldn't they stay put until the storm is over and the captain/whoever can direct them out using the 3D map?)
    -The two discover an alien species which stands upright in a cobra attack-like stance. Do they a) Take caution and back away b) come up close to give it a hug?
    [/spoilers]

Just got back from seeing it, I enjoyed the movie a lot. Took most you guys advice, went it with a clear mind, and that helped make the movie better for me.

That said, I'm just going with - it is an Alien prequel. I think.

Ridley Scott mentioned this was movie several movies away from Alien, and I can accept that. I don't think they would have included that last scene if it weren't.

SPOILER
    I thought they were an earlier form of xenomorph, a bio-weapon not yet perfected by the Engineers/Space Jockeys. They could have returned to LV-223 to retrieve them, or something similar happened to another Space Jockey crew on terraforming mission on LV-426. David mentioned there were more ships (and took off in one with Elizabeth) , and you'd think perhaps the Engineers would be monitoring the planet.

I liked the explanation for the helmets they wore when in the Engineers pilot seat, though in Alien they appeared to be much larger in size
    /SPOLIER

Will be thinking about this for a while!

[QUOTE/][spoilers]
    -Staff spend 2 years asleep to use their skill set somewhere far away
    -Geologist tells Biologist he's in it for the money, not to make friends
    -As soon as the Geologist sees the purpose of them traveling so far (discovering life eg. a 2000 year old corpse) he bails out immedietly (what about the money?)
    -The freaking Biologist of all people GOES WITH HIM. Discovery of a lifetime? Whatever dudes!
    -Despite having tech that can fully map an interior in 3D, the geologist and biologist get lost. How the **** did this happen? Once again, it doesn't make sense.
    -A plot device (sand storm) approaches trapping the two in the cave system.
    -The two keep walking around (why would they? Aren't they scared shitless? Wouldn't they stay put until the storm is over and the captain/whoever can direct them out using the 3D map?)
    -The two discover an alien species which stands upright in a cobra attack-like stance. Do they a) Take caution and back away b) come up close to give it a hug?
    [/spoilers][/QUOTE]

- 2 years asleep to then use skillset on unknown planet? Perhaps lots of money promised to workers? Maybe working with the unknown, making discovery?
    - Don't see what's wrong with a geologist making money instead of friends?
    - When people realize they made a stupid mistake or in a tight situation they bail out even on money, or simply yet do stupid-er things?
    - Biologist was afraid too?
    - The mapping and getting lost issue is a flaw. I won't deny that, but it was entertaining to watch them two die because of it.
    - Plot device? Is it suddenly illegal to use plot devices in movies?
    - The two keep walking around because maybe they didn't stop and think to stay still? Like previous statement how in panicked situations people can do really stupid things?
    - The two, you should realize this by now, are just plain stupid?

As I said before, the movie does have its flaws. But so does every other movie, even those considered masterpieces of the cinema. A New Hope, Batman Begins, 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane - these are some of the movies I gave 10/10 because when I saw them in cinemas I enjoyed the WHOLE experience from start to end. Not because they were 100% realistic and had followed every single logic and did not use plot devices. Again, as said before - I judge movies by whether I enjoyed the overall expereince. My review, my score. If you don't agree, I don't care. It's just my 2 cents on a Transformers forum.

My apologies, if it wasn't obvious my frustration mostly stems from those story aspects I mentioned (and others) when combined. Didn't mean to offend either by the way, was just curious as to why you thought it was a perfect movie but you've explained that by saying how much you enjoyed it.

[SPOILERS]
    - 2 years asleep to then use skillset on unknown planet? Perhaps lots of money promised to workers? Maybe working with the unknown, making discovery?
    I don't have a problem with this, although if someone could explain to me why Weyland waited until after the 2 years before telling the cannon-fodder, er, I mean "people" why they were there I would be very happy. It's a multi billion dollar operation and they hire people they don't even know will be able to commit when push comes to shove?

- Don't see what's wrong with a geologist making money instead of friends?
    I don't have a problem with this either. Although it would have been nice to have some followup. As is it's just a throwaway line.

- When people realize they made a stupid mistake or in a tight situation they bail out even on money, or simply yet do stupid-er things?
    Correct. Not convinced in this case given the sacrifices they've made (4 years gone to and from Earth) but oh well. For a top tier intelligent Geologist (they're not idiots by nature) he's not exactly the brightest gem.

- Biologist was afraid too?
    He sure was! I guess checking their staffs mental fortitude was outside of the multi billion dollar budget!

- The mapping and getting lost issue is a flaw. I won't deny that, but it was entertaining to watch them two die because of it.
    At least those pup things (I think that's what they were called) were pretty cool. Probably my favourite part of the film was seeing those dart around and map the caves in 3D.

- Plot device? Is it suddenly illegal to use plot devices in movies?
    No, this one was very convenient but eh. Like you say those two needed to die and ASAP.

- The two keep walking around because maybe they didn't stop and think to stay still? Like previous statement how in panicked situations people can do really stupid things?
    Hey, they're not the only stupid ones. The moron captain and his goons on deck were all too happy to just let them wonder around and take in the sights.

- The two, you should realize this by now, are just plain stupid?
    Yeah, unfortunately to the point where it became comedic and ultimately took me out of the experience.
    [/SPOILERS]

I enjoyed Prometheus. Visual effects were sensational, atmosphere was deeply immersing and I felt the character portayals were quite good. The screenplay was lacking though, which some of the actors suffered on.

I wasn't satisfied with the whole (spoiler) "ah so that's the origin of the Aliens" thing though. Regardless, I give it a 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    I loved Promethues, a really well-done movie but I hate Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, such an annoying character. I loved Vickers and David though as I could relate to them so much more than the others.
    Vickers and David are portrayed as cold, calculating assholes. No offence, but I don't see how anyone could relate to those characters.

Doubledealer, you need to go and watch Alien Resurrection again then you'll appreciate the lighter characters in Prometheus!

and for goodness sake, if the giant alien donut spaceship is rolling toward you, why run in the same direction as it? This epic scene is in the trailer too. RUN SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    and for goodness sake, if the giant alien donut spaceship is rolling toward you, why run in the same direction as it? This epic scene is in the trailer too. RUN SIDEWAYS!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    Vickers and David are portrayed as cold, calculating assholes. No offence, but I don't see how anyone could relate to those characters.
    *SPOILERS*

I didn't see them in that light, I saw Vickers as a character with a hard-skin raised by the truly cold Peter Weyland. She did what she was thought was the safest for her and her crew, even if it meant denying Shaw the opportunity to save Holloway who understandably could have been the carrier of a contagious threat. Yes she is cold, yes she may be a calculating a-hole but she has common sense and isn't so naive and let her emotions control her like Shaw. That's a trait that I admire with that character. As for David, there's the admirable loyalty that he has to Weyland. Sure he was antagonistic but he was programmed to be, how could he know better? I thought there was MUCH MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE to these characters.

OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[SPOILERS]
    Did we really learn anything about ye olde Xenomorphs at all? I was so confused about this at the end!

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I can remember:

-We're on a totally different planet to the other Alien movies
    -David infects Charlie with the black goop
    -Charlie has sexy taime with Liz
    -Liz "births" a squid thing
    -Squid thing gets big and French kisses the remaining Engineer
    -Engineer dies and gives birth to a poorly designed Xenomorph

Is that right? That's what I got from it anyway. Which is kind of confusing and retarded because I thought Xenomorphs were born from Facehuggers, not squids.
    [/SPOILERS]

Kurdt, I had blocked that movie from my mind but maybe I should watch it again to see how it compares.