Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: A third Masterpiece Gen1 Optimus coming?

It is very interesting that MP-10 was hailed as a cartoon accurate representation back when, but now in news of a newer version, we see just how much it wasn’t really. I wasn’t around for the MP-1 to MP-10 changeover of Primes, but I’d presume something similar occured.

It’s really funny how things seem like the new end all be all version when they are released, but when presented with the better new one we see all the flaws that maybe weren’t so obvious previously. Classics Jetfire comes to mind, as does Generations Kup.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Sunstreaker is the most fun mp tilldate for the cars. It isn’t hard after you go through transformation once. Megatron is a totally different story.

Mp-10 was never in my books as the perfect prime. Both Takara and hasbro lacked certain paint apps and eyes on Takara version were most dull.

I gotten myself a cell shaded version of mp-10 and that might be my last Optimus if version 3 isn’t great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    It’s really funny how things seem like the new end all be all version when they are released, but when presented with the better new one we see all the flaws that maybe weren’t so obvious previously. Classics Jetfire comes to mind, as does Generations Kup.
    That's what Takara is counting on for us to open our wallets for Optimus 3.0

I only really got MP-10 to complete the scaled collection with the other MP's, I was actually more than happy with MP-4.

at the time MP-01/MP-04 was hailed as the be all and end all of Optimus prime toys, how could they improve on this??!

I'm still not convinced they have, or will but that was the apparent online consensus, and when MP-10 came out, it was the new be all and end all of Optimus prime toys.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    at the time MP-01/MP-04 was hailed as the be all and end all of Optimus prime toys, how could they improve on this??!

I'm still not convinced they have, or will but that was the apparent online consensus, and when MP-10 came out, it was the new be all and end all of Optimus prime toys.
    It's much weirder for me. As someone super new to the fanbase compared to a lot of the guys here, MP-01 (although I've never held one IRL) looks like a clunky, clumsy mess to me, even if that is not really the case. I must be much less accustomed to the older designs than a lot of people.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post

The chest on MP-01 is certainly superior to that of MP-10 and I wouldn't be surprised if the new chest is incredibly similar to it. The difference here is bound to be the legs - no MP prime to date has gotten them right from an animation accuracy perspective.
    Last edited by bowspearer; 31st May 2018 at 01:08 PM.

I dunno. I've got the 20th Anniversary edition of MP-01, then also MP-10 and MP-10B. I'd have to wait to see full pics of the finished product before I felt I could get enthused about another MP Prime. I mean, who needs it? Unless it's an incredible improvement (and the last MP's have been pretty damn good) it's certainly not on my want list.

I've got three MP Primes, two MP Megatrons and two MP Starscreams. And there have been plenty of slightly altered versions of those toys I don't have but others do. I reckon that's sufficient for those characters. I know others feel differently.

Bring on MP's of Hound, Jazz, Astrotrain and Blitzwing then I'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    It's much weirder for me. As someone super new to the fanbase compared to a lot of the guys here, MP-01 (although I've never held one IRL) looks like a clunky, clumsy mess to me, even if that is not really the case. I must be much less accustomed to the older designs than a lot of people.
    I have the Hasbro equivalent of MP-01, my biggest gripe is that after all this time, and it's been transformed quite a lot, the waist doesn't seem to sit square any more, it's like a detent has lost effect or a spring has pushed loose, it always wants to rotate to the side a bit.

I haven't seen this in my MP-04, but it's spent most of it's life stored in its original box. If you're ever in Sydney and have the opportunity to catch up, I'll happily give you a look, I might let you have a crack on my TD-12 as well
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Mp-1 was considered the real masterpiece because it appealed to many at that time that it was a solid diecast robot. Paint, individual articulated fingers, spring suspension,rubber tyres. Is the premium feel to it. Mp-10 looks great except it lack bits and pieces and is actually a cheaper product and you get charged more for it.

As seeing what TT release this year, it looks like my spending will be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Mp-1 was considered the real masterpiece because it appealed to many at that time that it was a solid diecast robot. Paint, individual articulated fingers, spring suspension,rubber tyres. Is the premium feel to it. Mp-10 looks great except it lack bits and pieces and is actually a cheaper product and you get charged more for it.

As seeing what TT release this year, it looks like my spending will be minimal.
    MP-01 didn't have a trailer, while MP-10 did.

A better comparison would be MP-04 to MP-10