Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended shelving?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Apart from buying special glass (or living in a cave), can you do anything to treat glass to be resistant to UV light?

I'm thinking the collection items I'll have on display will be in my spare room/study which will be mostly a dark room except when I'm using it.
    I'm pretty sure glass in general is fairly UV resistant, it's why the peroxide (toy whitening) treatment is slower when under glass, and why you only get driver arm with the window down.

It's not %100 but I'd say it's relatively good. obviously a treatment would improve it but may also make the glass harder to see through.

here is an interesting page

In my personal experience, direct sunlight is probalby the biggest problem with yellowing of toys. second is age.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Yeah, my doctor once told me that you can't absorb Vitamin D through sunlight that passes through glass -- i.e. you either have to spend time outdoors and expose your skin to direct sunlight, or take Vitamin D supplements (the latter gives you the vitamins without risking skin cancer).

That seems to go again everything they taught us at uni about the deterioration of artworks framed behind glass and exposed to light.

I don't think regular glass is 100% protective, so for things like special artwok that requires total protection, specially treated glass would be better.

since yellowing of toys is caused by more than just UV light, it's probably not really worth the higher expense to remove that last few % of UV.

It really depends on the glass. Ordinary 4mm clear glass lets in around 70% UV and 90% visible light. Tints, double glazing and reflective glass can cut that number down significantly.

Cheap and nasty suggestion: paint your windows black? Might arouse suspicion from neighbours and police though.

Otherwise... shut your blinds. You can also buy bookcases and place them in front of your windows so the back of the bookcases (e.g. Ikea's Billys) blocks them out completely.

Or you could just not worry about it.
    The plastic degrades regardless of what you do or don't do.
    Just set up your toys in a way that pleases you.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Another cheap way is to buy the awful DYI window tint that places like Super Cheap Auto sells.

It works, and is a pretty cheap option.

Just don't ever use it for your car......give yourself some dignity.....

I'm going to have to move two of my Billy bookcases to my new place. I'm hoping that the familiar Transformers phrase "Reverse the order of instructions" applies to disassembling these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm going to have to move two of my Billy bookcases to my new place. I'm hoping that the familiar Transformers phrase "Reverse the order of instructions" applies to disassembling these cases.

Good luck with that one.