Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Collecting Pondering

Yep, I am a little bit of a completest - on certain lines however only.
    Around the middle of Super Link/Energon series I realised that I could not continue down the path I was heading down back then (Japanese and American of both series) so cut back to the best series (normally Japanese) OR first out the gate (ie, Classics)

Some of the suggestions just don't fit in with my 'personality' - if I haven't opened something in the first 2 months of it being in my collection then there is a good chance that I will never open it even if it was purchased to open. So having a storage shed full of toys doesn't bother me until the storage shed got full (really full). As I said before, I have images of all the stuff I have in storage and look at monthly as a reminder.

Most toys released between 1984 and 2011 I have played with a version of it somewhere down the line. The 8 months I spent unemployed did change my habits a bit.

Based on the feedback and my own thoughts
    So far I could get rid of (if they sell) Masterpiece MP-1, MP-2, MP-3, MP-3G, MP-4, MP-6 and MP-7 since they have made better versions, as well as the bulk of my Alternators.

I can actually see myself eventually getting rid of everything aside from G1 and MP-8 onwards but .. that will take major amounts of time and I guess I need to very slowly release items from the collection into the sale list rather than dump and hope.

So 4 months on and my thought this week returned to 2014 and selling the collection. I have roughly thought of the rules that I would need to set in order to make sure 'the good stuff doesn't go first' - one box gets put out for sale. Most needs to be sold before I move onto the next.

Use the sale proceeds to get my savings back up to a more comfortable level and if a year or two down the track I decide I want to purchase the items again, so be it.

It is after all the thrill of the hunt that is the main staple of my collecting

Sounds like a good way to do it. I'm trying to do similar. Once I finish my current sale I'll be left with only a small number of Unicron Trilogy toys but the ones I really want. Then it will be time to move on to the next series and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Use the sale proceeds to get my savings back up to a more comfortable level and if a year or two down the track I decide I want to purchase the items again, so be it.
    New items? Or are you referring to buying back the items you've sold?

It is after all the thrill of the hunt that is the main staple of my collecting
    So you're more into Transformers buying rather than Transformers having?
    It's the complete opposite for me.

The time has come!
    Over the past few weeks I have been deciding what order I would sell the collection in (if I did sell) and what if any figures would be spared from the cull.

Today I have decided that I can't put this off any longer - my storage space isn't going to grow by itself and I have decided that everything from the line is going to eventually go up for sale rather than keeping selected figures (if I figure wasn't released as a Binaltech but was as an Alternator, then keep the Alternator with the Binaltech collection)

Have decided that I am going to release one storage box from the collection for sale (most of the storage boxes contain a entire line (like Alternators, Collector Reissues) and run with the sale of the items in that box until the box is 90% empty. That way I am not putting hundreds of toys up at the same time and the best of the best get taken first and I am left eventually with the toys no one wants.

As a result, it will take a while for things to happen

Have decided that I am going to release one storage box from the collection for sale (most of the storage boxes contain a entire line (like Alternators, Collector Reissues) and run with the sale of the items in that box until the box is 90% empty. That way I am not putting hundreds of toys up at the same time and the best of the best get taken first and I am left eventually with the toys no one wants.
    This sounds like a good way to go. When I try to clear stuff out I've had problems of a few popular items going and the rest sitting around still waiting for a new home. Then I started consolidating the remaining items and it got harder to find anything. And then some things sat in the "buy me" pilt for so long I started giving them away!

Megatran Guest

I'm finding that my collecting habits have gradually changed over the last 6 months. I've only been collecting for less than 18 months. When I started out I mainly sought after larger size TFs and had no issue with freeing them from their box. Now most purchases are left MISB and my preference is towards smaller deluxe class. I'm adhering to the mantra: Any more than two handfuls is a waste.

The time has come!
    Over the past few weeks I have been deciding what order I would sell the collection in (if I did sell) and what if any figures would be spared from the cull.

Today I have decided that I can't put this off any longer - my storage space isn't going to grow by itself and I have decided that everything from the line is going to eventually go up for sale rather than keeping selected figures (if I figure wasn't released as a Binaltech but was as an Alternator, then keep the Alternator with the Binaltech collection)

As a result, it will take a while for things to happen
    If you have Commemorative Reissues Thundercracker and Skywarp, I will gladly take them off your hands.