Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much more is it worth (to you) for a figure to be 100% complete?

i prefer 100% complete if possible, if not then at least all the main accessories. eg gun / sword etc

go for the $50 one trev, I have a Spare pretender Grimlock gun I can sell you
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Unless I can easily track down the missing parts (and for cheap), I won't even look twice at the figure. Every TF in my collection is 100% complete with paperwork.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Complete is always preferred BUT.. it depends on the scarcity of the missing piece and the purpose of buying the figure.

I like complete figures in my collection and since my TFs are mostly post-Armada buying them complete is not too hard. Once you start talking about pre-Beast Wars i think you have to consider the scale of price vs quality vs completeness.

If i wanted to kitbash a figure accessories are usually not required.

If i wanted a quick look at an interesting dirt cheap figure i can forgo some accessories too.

^All of this has a caveat that i know about the missing bits and do not think i have gotten shafted.

PS. I am looking for a Ramjet minicon that comes partnered with Armada Tidalwave.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

It depends on what the accessory is. If it's necessary for the transformation then I pretty much have to have it. If it's a targetmaster or secondary robot I'd rather have it than not. If it's a fairly generic part like a generic-looking gun then I really don't care.

I'm more likely to care about a missing sword or other weapon than a missing gun. Melee weapons are a bit unusual on Transformers (and swords are cooler than guns anyway), whereas I can usually find a gun lying around if the toy really needs it.

I could not care less about generic accessories such as those that come with Cyberverse Legion toys.

Everything. I've been having a hard time finding G1 toys complete on places like eBay, and I'm usually pretty angry at "99% complete" things that are missing an integral part of them. I've given up on getting a complete Trypticon, so that reissue better happen.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Unless I can easily track down the missing parts (and for cheap), I won't even look twice at the figure. Every TF in my collection is 100% complete with paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Everything. I've been having a hard time finding G1 toys complete on places like eBay, and I'm usually pretty angry at "99% complete" things that are missing an integral part of them. I've given up on getting a complete Trypticon, so that reissue better happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapryiath View Post
    A: How much more is it worth to you for a figure to be 100% complete?
    as a rule , i won't buy anything unless its 100% complete just my personal preference, unless the incomplete figure is dirt cheap or something i can pick up locally at a bargain

B: Does it depend on the missing accessory?
    sometimes but only in the case that its an extra missile for a gun that will be filled already etc.
    C: Does it depend if the accessory is necessary for full transformation? (examples: G1 Blurr's shield, G1 Erector's trailer)
    definately , i have a g1 wheelie thats missing his 'cover' and it shits me that it isn't there
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    It means everything. For me, if I have an incomplete toy, it stays in my head, constantly annoying me with its incompleteness until I finally get all the parts or sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Well said, sir, well said
    I can't have an incomplete toy. It would constantly play on my mind. Even if it's something small like missing one of three missiles, to me, that toy is near worthless until it's 100% complete.
    And then there are eBay sellers that spout lines like " G1 Prime, 99% complete, only missing it's rifle". That rifle's a little more than 1% I hate that 99% complete phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    I couldn't agree more. If I was in your shoes Trev I wouldn't be thinking that the extra $28 is for the gun, for me the extra $28 would be to keep that whispering voice in my head telling me it was incomplete quiet!
    Heh - wow! We have some real purists out there! I am in complete agreement that 100% complete is to be preferred, but I think that sometimes it depends. For the 4 main cities (Metro, Trypt, Scorp & Fort Max) I shelled out extra for them to be 100% complete. To pick up some cheap Battlechargers, I forgoed the guns - but I still miss them and want to pick them up one day. In the case of Pretender Grimlock, I couldn't really justify spending another $28 just for his gun, even if it meant him not being completely complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    As you've alluded to, it depends on how 'necessary' the part is, and whether or not it makes a major aesthetic/functional difference to the toy. To use your example, if I had a G1 Blurr, I would definitely want the shield.

When I had G1 Snarl, I didn't care that I only had one out of three missiles, since I'd only be displaying him with one missile anyway.

I thought my G1 Hound was complete, but it wasn't until a while later that I realised the little jerry can that attaches to the back of the jeep was missing. This didn't bother me that much, either, since he won't have it on in robot mode, and in vehicle mode I'd be displaying him front-on - also, Hound's jerry can is surprisingly expensive. Something like his gun or missile launcher, however, would be more noticeable, so I would shell out for that (as I did with my G2 Slag's gun).
    Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Really depends what the best value is. The gun is a $5-$10 part so id go for the $50 one
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    This!

And if easy to find what's missing. If it's difficult, might as well not buy it incomplete unless it's really a bargain & just want a spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial_G View Post
    i prefer 100% complete if possible, if not then at least all the main accessories. eg gun / sword etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Complete is always preferred BUT.. it depends on the scarcity of the missing piece and the purpose of buying the figure.

I like complete figures in my collection and since my TFs are mostly post-Armada buying them complete is not too hard. Once you start talking about pre-Beast Wars i think you have to consider the scale of price vs quality vs completeness.

If i wanted to kitbash a figure accessories are usually not required.

If i wanted a quick look at an interesting dirt cheap figure i can forgo some accessories too.

^All of this has a caveat that i know about the missing bits and do not think i have gotten shafted.

PS. I am looking for a Ramjet minicon that comes partnered with Armada Tidalwave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    It depends on what the accessory is. If it's necessary for the transformation then I pretty much have to have it. If it's a targetmaster or secondary robot I'd rather have it than not. If it's a fairly generic part like a generic-looking gun then I really don't care.

I'm more likely to care about a missing sword or other weapon than a missing gun. Melee weapons are a bit unusual on Transformers (and swords are cooler than guns anyway), whereas I can usually find a gun lying around if the toy really needs it.

I could not care less about generic accessories such as those that come with Cyberverse Legion toys.
    This is more the attitude I have chosen to adopt. I will get 100% complete if I can afford it, but if it is something minor and it's a figure I really want, then I am willing to forgo an accessory and try and pick it up down the line. Of course if it is an item necessary for Transformation (Snap Trap's shield for example) then if it's not on offer that's a dealbreaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If I bought a toy with a missing accessory or part, I'd just bring it back for a refund/exchange (or in the case of a Japanese toy, contact Takara(TOMY)'s customer call centre).
    More discussing purchasing 2nd hand figures off the internet. When it comes to any item - TF or otherwise - if I buy something new from a store and its not complete I return it post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    go for the $50 one trev, I have a Spare pretender Grimlock gun I can sell you
    Sweet! If you are not toying with me (heh - toying) shoot me a message and will see if I can get authorization from the missus

I shall take pics tomorrow, - better lighting and post it here for you to see. Then we can discuss via PM instead if your ok with it so as not to derail the thread.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

A: How much more is it worth to you for a figure to be 100% complete?

It tends to be my requirement. I've seen the time and money spent by others trying to complete a loose incomplete figure and while there is some thrill in the chase, it doesn't seem worth it. (and sometimes more expensive)

I got a loose Blaster at a garage sale once, his weapon is fairly scarce due to it's fragility. I found it for sale by a parts seller at Botcon in 2011, he wanted $45 US for it. I didn't buy it.

B: Does it depend on the missing accessory? (example: you can live with G1 Twin Twist missing his gun, you cant live without G1 AM Soundwave missing Wingthing)

it does to a degree, I can't see Blurr being worth anything without the sheild, or a headmaster being worth much without the Headmaster. I eventually found a better condition Blaster with his gun at the parra fair for about $40. Sometimes it's worth the wait.

C: Does it depend if the accessory is necessary for full transformation? (examples: G1 Blurr's shield, G1 Erector's trailer)

Like a lot of others have said, if it's part of the figure in either mode for display I consider it necessary, if it's missing a spare missile that would be stored away otherwise then it's not such a big deal for me. even a G1 missile, if it's going to stand there with an empty launcher, that will bug me, I'd rather wait for a version of the toy that includes the missile so it doesn't bug me.

The trick is knowing if you can get hold of an accessory for a decent price, most often if a piece is missing it's something that's commonly missing or broken and getting a replacement part to fix or replace it could be the most expensive element of completing said vintage figure.

having said all that, I bought a few incomplete Pretenders last year as i'm totally aware that they are pretty crappy toys but I just wanted to check them out and see how the robots transformed and fit inside the shells. I dont' really have any interest in completing them, if I ever change my mind I'll probably look for complete ones instead of spare parts.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Heh - the Pretenders Grimlock showed up today. My wife picked him up from the post office and promptly left him sitting on her desk at work. Grounds for divorce I know, and there is not a jury in the land that wouldn't take my side if I tried for sole custody of our child when she shows this kind of lax attitude to important matters, but I might give her one more shot

Besides, a co-worker gave me an Activators DOTM Starscream I didn't have today so I am feeling in a generous mood