Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Pondering

Default Collecting Pondering

For those who have been around a while, this is a repeat question

2013 - I need two things.
    Cash and space.

The way to get these things is to sell my Transformers collection, the issue is that I have a strong emotional attachment to them even though its all in storage and I never see them.

Been thinking for a few months about my plan to sell of most/all of the collection in order to consolidate my storage shed into something more manageable - trust me when I say it is FULL - and use the cash that may come from selling into doing one of two things (house deposit or pay of student loan)

My AFA Graded G1 items would be safe from the purge but everything else would be up for grabs. Talking G2 (USA/Japanese), Reissues (Original, Book and Encore), Binaltech, Alternators, Masterpiece, Classics, Universe, Generations, Henkei, United and all the 'misc' items I also have from other lines.

Struggling with the idea of selling some of these due to the emotional attachment, and also how I would sell (lots, singles) and pricing for the items and just what series would get the chop first.

Who has some thoughts for me ... cause the more I think, the more I get myself confused!

If you really love them, I'd keep those you love the most or the ones that would cost more to replace, as you can always buy another of the lesser-worth ones for about what you sold them for, if you ever have the cash to get them again.

If you are seriously on thin ice with cash, I'd sell what you feel comfortable selling but maybe let go of a few to good homes.

IMO, it's what you feel is right and what you really think is necessary for you to have and how much you'd need to get rid of, if it means a suitable amount of money.

I'm not the best to ask about this and I'm sure other will be able to help much better than I can, but like you said, it's a hard decision on what and what not.

You need cash and space? Sell. Make a decision and stick to it, dont fart-arse about.
    I'd avoid lots, unless they're a team or junkers. The reat should be easy to establish.

I agree with Sinnertwin. If they are becoming a hassle it is time to do something. Try starting with your least favourite line first and go from there.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Take some photos of them in preparation then decide if you can part with them. You can always buy them back and if you do go with the house deposit you will have more space without worrying about a storage unit

I have been toying around with this idea myself of selling my least favourite line/lines to make the TF's I like more displayable. Still haven't got there so all I can say is good luck with making a decision. You collect doubles don't you? I would look at thinning them down first and go from there if you still want to sell more item's.

Sell off the doubles.
    Not in lots, unless the buyer is someone like HD who has a lot of disposable income, you wont get much buyers for lot items, plus you lose quite a bit on lot sale.
    As everyone has said, start with the least fave items, if not here have it on Ebay. Prioritize.
    Keep your goal in sight - which one is it? Student loan or House? decide then stick to it. Plan with foresight - coz with a house you have enough space but do you have the means to maintain a steady mortgage? If you go for the loan, being a student would you have enough cash/income to sustain this hobby and be sure that what your studying for will end you in a definite job in the end, not some idealistic course where you'd struggle come graduation to find a job that'll suit what you studied for? or will you end up still selling more of your stuff?

Just some questions that you might have already asked yourself and hopefully have finally reached a decision with before you sell any more of your collection.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Value your time. Sell off the items that will go for more money.

Sell off your TF's?!?! No. No no no sir!

Cash? You've got two kidney's don't you? Surely you can part with one? Or I hears that if you've got a skirt and a nice smile you can make good tax-free cash down the docks after dark, even when sporting a 5 o'clock shadow. And I also hears there is a place in Ballarat that will buy all the sperm you can produce!

Space? Surely you don't need more than one shirt, one pair of jeans, one pair of socks etc? Free up those wardrobes man! And surely you don't need a washing machine to do them in when a sink and a scrubbing brush suffices. Buying fresh food daily gets rid of the need to have full cupboards or a fridge. A warm sleeping bag means you can get rid of that pesky bed and free up the linen cupboard.

But if worst comes to worst I'm in the next two years building a Transformatorium shed on my farm (cause I need the space lol) so send'em this way and you can visit whenever you like

I totally agree with liegeprime - offload your doubles first.

IMO anything you haven't used (whether it's for viewing/display or playing... whatever) in the past year or two you ought to consider offloading. That seems more like hoarding than collecting to me (JMHO).