Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Transformers Definitive G1 (comic) Collection

The UK comic was a combination of reprints of the US comics and their own stories.

So for example I listed:
    Space Pirates (Marvel UK #172-173, Marvel US #41-42,44, Marvel UK 180-187)

That breaks down like so:
    UK 172 and 173 were a two parter called "Wrecking Havoc". Transformers UK 174 to 179 reprinted Marvel US issues #41,42,44 splitting each US story in to two parts. They then reprinted 43 in two parts as 180 and 181 with new material (so I've gone with the UK version) and a UK only story from 182 to 187.

So basically if you take what the UK did you get the "proper" reading order (mostly) which includes the US stories in the middle of theirs.

You could rewrite this list basically as UK 1-24, UK 25-45, UK 46-62 (as examples) but wouldn't be as much fun to put together and for the most part we think of the US comics as the true "home" to their stories and just reprints in the UK books. (Eg "People Power is a story from Transformers US #42" rather than "People Power is a story from Transformers UK #176-177" despite both being true.)

Trust me if you grew up with this it makes sense.

Well I sent an email off to Bissett Magazines a week ago as they are generally the ones that distribute Hachette Partworks in Australia asking if they will be picking up this publication as well but have received no reply.
    In fact comparing the Australian contact details on both the Hachette Partworks website and the Bissett Magazines website does indeed show the same addresses and phone numbers so I have to assume I'm correct in my assumptions that Bissett are the ones to talk to.
    If someone else wants to try emailing or even calling them to ask be my guest, all the details are in the right hand column on their website www.bissettmags.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but why are the UK issue numbers all over the place, like why are they randomly inserted into the US order?
    The UK run tended to be a weekly magazine issue, with half of a standard US comic in each as well as other magazine inserts.

They started after the US run, but even with some catch-up, they knew they were going to soon outpace the US releases. Also, as a licensed book, they also had certain requirements to advertise new toys when they were hitting UK release, as opposed to US release.

These factors resulted in runs of issues which would reprint US material, followed by runs of UK material, which were largely closed loop stories, which brought the relevant characters back to the point where the story would tie back in with the US issues.

So all this got me looking into Marvel G1 and how to get the series. I noticed on the Comixology listing for a reprinting of the US G1 series it say "NOTE: issues #3 and #9 are intentionally omitted due to inclusion of non-Hasbro characters in the original comics.". Issue 3 is clearly Peter Parker, AKA Spider-man, but going by TFwiki I'm not sure who the non-Hasbro character is in issue 9, anyone know what non-Hasbro characters are in it?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So all this got me looking into Marvel G1 and how to get the series. I noticed on the Comixology listing for a reprinting of the US G1 series it say "NOTE: issues #3 and #9 are intentionally omitted due to inclusion of non-Hasbro characters in the original comics.". Issue 3 is clearly Peter Parker, AKA Spider-man, but going by TFwiki I'm not sure who the non-Hasbro character is in issue 9, anyone know what non-Hasbro characters are in it?
    Probably circuit breaker/Josie Beller. I think she's still owned by marvel?
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Yep it's Circuit Breaker and issue 9 was her first featured issue (although she appeared out of costumed identity in issues 5-8). More recent reprints (in the Classic volumes) have kept her issues in but I suspect through arrangement with Marvel. Might still be different restrictions with digitial releases.

That seems odd, she is in other Transformers comics but issue 9 is off limits.

Just looking at the UK website for these, they are up to the 44th volume next week (they ship theirs out every two weeks, as opposed to us getting two every four weeks)... and it is interesting to see that at the volume sent out at the July over there, is Volume 76, containing seven issues from Till All Are One, released late 2016 to early 2017.
    According to the release order of the IDW continuity, it looks like the Definitive Collection is going to have to skip the Revolutions era completely, as the remaining four volumes would have trouble covering the rest of TAAO, Lost Light, Optimus Prime and Unicron.
    The Revolutions comics probably weren't included in the License, due to the non-Transformers properties involved, and probably would have required another 10 volumes to include it anyway. But for some reason they included the recent GIJoe/TFs comic series (taking up two valuable volumes), which isn't even in the main universe... so maybe they will be including other crossovers, like the the "in universe" original GIJoe/TFs crossover or Marvel crossover.
    (if they don't include the Revolutions comics, they are going to need to do a lot of explaining before each issue, to get the reader up to date on what they are missing... particularly since the Unicron series relies on events of the Revolutions mass-crossover)
    Hopefully IDW releases a complete/ultimate publication of the Revolutions Saga (basically all of "phase 3" from mid-2016 to the end of 2018), because it is a real nightmare to try to collect all of the applicable issues, particularly the non-Transformers ones and the various one-shots. That way, the Hachette series covers everything up to its Volume 75, and then a Phase 3 publication of volumes from IDW would cover the rest of their first Gen1 Universe.

The order on that page isn't a reliable guide to how they are releasing the series. From my tracking and mapping, Vol 77 would be the core Revolution book with the TF specific issues - before Vol 78 would in theory start the Optimus Prime/Lost Light volumes.

They did say a planned 80 issues but there was some speculation that it was a bit of a vague ending point. If they did stop at the Revolution cut point and only have 4 extra volumes I would only guess they might include things like MTMTE (guide book - both G1 and Armada volumes) and TF Universe as final volumes.

I'd prefer they just do the 8 extra volumes (88 in total) they'd need to wrap up the main TF books to the end of Unicron. (not counting for example the GiJoe series with Skywarp or the Visionaries crossover)

Just catching up on the news from the UK on this comic series, as they were about 30 issues ahead of us.

On January 9th, the 80th issue was released. (post #698). It was released on its own because they have them released individually in the UK, every 2 weeks (we get ours in pairs every 4 weeks).

Details on the TFWiki to show what to expect from the extra 20 Issues...

Issue 64 - VOL 80 - Till All Are One #12 & Annual, 2017 Annual, Requiem of the Wreckers
    -
    Issue 81 - VOL 84 - Optimus Prime #13-17 & Annual
    Issue 82 - VOL 90 - GEN-2 (1990s Marvel) #0-6
    Issue 83 - VOL 81 - Revolution #0-5 & three Revolution one-shots
    Issue 84 - VOL 89 - 1986 GIJoe & TFs #1-4 & 1990s Marvel GIJoe #138-142 (the lead-in issues to Gen2 comic)
    -
    Issue 85 - VOL 82 - Revolutionaries #1-8 (assumed)
    Issue 86 - VOL 92 - 1986 Movie adaptation (assumed to be both Marvel and IDW versions)
    Issue 87 - VOL 83 - First Strike #0-6 (assumed)
    Issue 88 - VOL 95 - Devils Due GIJoe & TFs #1-6 (assumed)
    Issue 89 - VOL 85 - Optimus Prime #18-25 (assumed)

That gives us an order of....

VOL 80 - Till All Are One #12 & Annual, 2017 Annual, Requiem of the Wreckers
    -
    VOL 81 - Revolution #0-5 & three Revolution one-shots
    VOL 82 - Revolutionaries #1-8 (assumed)
    VOL 83 - First Strike #0-6 (assumed)
    VOL 84 - Optimus Prime #13-17 & Annual
    VOL 85 - Optimus Prime #18-25 (assumed)
    VOL 86 -
    VOL 87 -
    VOL 88 -
    VOL 89 - 1986 GIJoe & TFs #1-4 & 1990s Marvel GIJoe #138-142 (the lead-in issues to Gen2 comic)
    VOL 90 - GEN-2 (1990s Marvel) #0-6
    VOL 91 -
    VOL 92 - 1986 Movie adaptation (assumed to be both Marvel and IDW versions)
    VOL 93 -
    VOL 94 -
    VOL 95 - Devils Due GIJoe & TFs #1-6 (assumed)
    VOL 96 -
    VOL 97 -
    VOL 98 -
    VOL 99 -
    VOL 100 -