Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDW Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Do you have an iDevice. I read via iPhone but I'm told the iPad is better due to the larger screen. It takes a little getting used to but the comixology apps (and its TF, Marvel and DC branded versions) are all free and all offer free comics so you can download and give it a try. I think there's android versions too.
    I have an ipod touch, and plan on getting a tablet some time this year but I'm quite happy reading them via comixology's web based service for the time being.

You should try the free apps for the touch (and get a few of the free comics) and see if you like it. If you have a web account with Comixoloy you'd be able to synch any purchases to the ipod.

Yeah, I got the app & had a play. It's good and I think you're right, it would reach its full potential on something like an iPad.

I'm used to reading large collected series that have been recommended to me after their completion. For example, I read all of 'Y: The Last Man' in a few weeks and that was heaps and heaps of issues all just collected under one name. Awesome series, by the way.
    Anyway, the IDW stuff seems to be lots of mini-series (Infiltration, Escalation, etc). So is there not a main story line I should read up? Is the whole thing piecemeal?

The recommendations have mostly been for the "main" story. You could read all the Furman books as the first "main story" with a beginning and an end (Maximum Dinobots #5 as the conclusion). It was just sold as many mini-series to get more #1s out there because they sell well - but all those books had another number on their cover for the overarching numbering (I think they fell off the covers after the second year).

You could read the "All Hail Megatron" books as the next main story (it's all collected in one big book). It's, I guess a sequel, and it's got it's own beginning and end. The "Ongoing" is the next main story, again, a sequel. Overall though that's three chapters of "IDW's G1 universe" with the current books as the fourth "chapter".

These are what I meant by the "four eras"; each had an overriding main story and a lead (usually single) author.

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all for me Paulbot!

Thanks to Comixology and a few other sources I have read through the entire IDW timeline up to and including Last Stand of the Wreckers.

This has changed transformers forever for me. Prior to starting the IDW comics (about 2 months ago) my TF media was entirely G1, Beast wars, Prime & some Animated. Now I have a whole new perspective on characters I thought I knew about and see that there's so much more to the G1 universe than the G1 'toon.

That may sound pretty lame... this wasn't a religious awakening or anything :P, but, yeah, I used to think I knew what i liked but turns out I'd only been dipping my toes in.

Here's where I may expose myself as a bit of a philistine... I really liked All Hail Megatron. It had it's issues, like the ridiculous size discrepancies with some of the 'bots, but overall I felt that it had a great story and was jam packed with action.
    Last Stand of the Wreckers was great also, I hope it's kept up in the ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Here's where I may expose myself as a bit of a philistine... I really liked All Hail Megatron. It had it's issues, like the ridiculous size discrepancies with some of the 'bots, but overall I felt that it had a great story and was jam packed with action.
    Here's where I (probably alone) agree with you. All Hail Megatron when considered in isolation was a very good series. My issues with it were more that it was written with no care for what Furman had previously done, and the universe that he had set-up. I really liked the Furman style, and to see it changed so quickly, with so little carry over, was disappointing.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was great also, I hope it's kept up in the ongoing series.
    LSotW was fantastic, and with Roberts working on MTMTE, you can rest assured that the style of writing from Wreckers is going to be definately be carrying on. Though the effect of doing an ongoing as opposed to a set length comic is yet to be seen.

Jinto, if you thought IDW was good, you should check out Marvel's G1 and G2 comic run. IMHO Marvel remains the best continuity for Transformers ever written so far. Super-duper-highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Here's where I (probably alone) agree with you. All Hail Megatron when considered in isolation was a very good series.
    The same could be said about Beast Machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    My issues with it were more that it was written with no care for what Furman had previously done, and the universe that he had set-up. I really liked the Furman style, and to see it changed so quickly, with so little carry over, was disappointing.
    The same could be said about Beast Machines (just replace "Furman" with "DiTillio and Forward" ).

Transformers Beast Machines and All Hail Megatron: both great stories if you just ignore everything that's come before them. I'd like to be able to say the same thing about Dark of the Moon... but alas I cannot.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

This user has ignored board staff's directions to not belittle others & re-edited his editted post. His post has been deleted.

-- dirge.
    Last edited by dirge; 7th July 2012 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Thanks to Comixology and a few other sources I have read through the entire IDW timeline up to and including Last Stand of the Wreckers.

[snip]

Glad to hear you liked them.

The Costa series (we really can't keep calling it "the Ongoing" when it stopped going 6 months ago ) starts off a little slow, and quite a few dropped off reading it early on, but it gets better towards the end, and leads into the current two ongoing series which are really good.

You could probably skip the Drift, Bumblebee, Ironhide, and Hearts of Darkness limited series. Ironhide's a good bridge between AHM and events later in the Costa series, but the others are pretty much unessential but have some selling points. (Except Hearts of Darkness. That's pretty much a mess.)