Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 495964656667686970717273747989 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by sifun View Post
    he got tagged.

He'll be hungry for that belt again
    If he threw a counterstrike every time Weidman missed the fight would of been over in the 1st round.

He did get tagged but Weidman fought smart. Everytime Silva does his Ali, matrix dodging no one has ever double up on the punches. Most MMA fighters always go left, right, left. Weidman went right, right, left making Silva zig when he should of zagged. Hopefully he is hungry in the rematch. If he really wants to I think he can beat Weidman in the 1st.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I hate how our classes run like the school year. I hate having a break for so long. I have already started getting myself ready for my full brown belt grading in September.
    Yeah, the Yang Tai Chi School that I went to was like that too... even though NONE of the students were kids (I was considered the "baby" in the class; most others had adult children or were grandparents).

There are a few things about my Karate school I'm not liking, but most of which I'm not willing to discuss online. (-_-) But one thing I will say is that there's some tournament coming up next month, and so Sensei's classes have suddenly become tournament focused which is - even to his admission - completely counter intuitive to actual Karate training. For example, he'd explain a technique and say, something like, "In proper Karate you'd kick the groin here, but since we're training for tournament, we won't practice it. Only Maegeri (front kick)." It's not even like, "For those of you who are training for tournament, use a Maegeri, but if you're not then it would be a Kingeri (groin kick)." He's essentially assumed that we're all training for tournament, even though when I joined up I explicitly told him that I have NO interest in competition fighting. (-_-)

Also... what's your view on sparring with women? At my current Dojo the Sensei's really old fashioned and believes on taking it easy on the girls. First time I sparred with a girl I just kept in range but was totally defensive. I made NO attacks, only blocked all her attacks and did the occasional leg trap, but I didn't strike her or throw her etc. But I also stayed in range, not allowing her to get distance away from me. Sensei wasn't happy with that. One of the Sempais later told me that when sparring with girls, we should just back away and pretty much let them attack us. Uummm... does this just feel really counter-intuitive to teaching women's self defence to anyone else? I told Sempai that if any of these girls were to be attacked IRL, the attacker isn't going to be nearly as civil as I was and merely stay in range but NOT attack. Sempai said, "I know," but said that Sensei still doesn't like to see girls being attacked, so he won't allow it. HOW do they expect women to learn to defend themselves from violent thugs if they won't even allow people to attack them in sparring - which is a far more controlled and safe condition than an actual street fight?!? (o_O)

So basically... these women and paying all this money to learn Karate at a school that won't allow them to train under conditions that attempt to even semi-simulate a semi-real attack. They might as well just invest in Pepper Spray and carry it on their person in public. It'd be cheaper and more effective. And they can just do jogging/running for fitness... it'd improve their ability to flee from an attacker too, since they're obviously NOT being taught to stand and fight. Sensei may think that he's being chivalrous and kind by not allowing women to properly spar, but ultimately I think he's doing them a disservice by not properly teaching them self defence.

The couple of women at our school who spar actually get peeved if we take it too lightly on them.

Holy crap... Hong Kong Airlines flight attendants are being taught Wing Chun Kung Fu to defend themselves from violently behaved passengers from mainland China!
    http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...729-2qtjs.html

It's pretty damn sad when members of the public become so badly behaved that a company has to teach their service staff self defence.

CCTV footage of a guy in Russia attempting to steal a girl's mobile phone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyXUoMPb5E

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    CCTV footage of a guy in Russia attempting to steal a girl's mobile phone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyXUoMPb5E

you and groin attacks... lol
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

This is an actual black belt grading. SMH

http://www.shockmansion.com/2013/08/...ory-of-karate/

It saddens me that McDojos like that are just thriving in today's society, while traditional martial arts schools - the ones that don't even bother with belts, gradings, competitions etc. - are becoming increasingly rare. I guess people just want form over substance.

P.S.: Or maybe those people have discovered a secret technique of kicking all the immediate oxygen molecules out of the air in front of their opponents, thus suffocating them. Individual results may vary; may not be effectual against skeptics.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th August 2013 at 10:15 AM.

It saddens me that McDojos like that are just thriving in today's society, while traditional martial arts schools - the ones that don't even bother with belts, gradings, competitions etc. - are becoming increasingly rare. I guess people just want form over substance.
    It's evolution unfortunately. There is not much of a need for traditional schools anymore. The rise in popularity of sports martial arts over the past 10years has seen the public demand shift more to competition based schools.

That being said I really enjoy watching the UFC and have enjoyed my training so much more now I split it between the traditional karate class and the competition based MMA class.

P.S.: Or maybe those people have discovered a secret technique of kicking all the immediate oxygen molecules out of the air in front of their opponents, thus suffocating them. Individual results may vary; may not be effectual against skeptics.
    I think labelling that under the term 'mcdojos' is rubbish. What we watched in that video is rubbish in general and the people attending that school are being robbed.

I trained with GKR for 8+ years and they are labelled a "mcdojo" and i would consider GKR and that video on the same level as an insult.
    For Example GKR wins National All styles constantly due to a consistent quality of technique.

That being said, i'm not say you are comparing that directly to gkr but i think the use of the term is not called for in that situation.

Plus belts, competition and gradings are the way of the martial arts world now, it does not make the club untraditional or weak etc. They still have plenty of "substance".
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast