Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Info and Activities > Board Info, Member Intros & Suggestion Box

Sightings/Sales

Old 14th September 2015, 08:45 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Me.
That's about $2249-$2909 per year... or for for just in the last 8 years at this current location about $17,992-$23,272 spent running this site out of my own pocket. Something I don't broadcast or want to make back, because I don't want people to feel guilty.
Yeah, I knew it, you crazy. All this time and only know you're thinking of this scheme But seriously, I can understand not wanting to throw people offside when the community was very small, but having voluntary donations is fine! Look at all the people out there with blogs/streams who have paypal donations/subscriptions set up, they rake it in!
Don't worry about guilt, that's only relevant if you're actively (ie directly telling them) making it known to an individual that they are not donating. I bet you no one here feels bad that they haven't donated when Wikipedia does its periodic "keep us afloat" donation drive, even though we all use it heavily.

By the power of teamwork, we will prevail! Or some rubbish like that
--------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
Old 14th September 2015, 11:16 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Every time Wikipedia has the donation window pop up I feel obliged to donate. Not because of shame but because it's a resource that I have spent so much time using and I feel it's the right thing to do. Same can be said for this site. It's a resource I'm happy to contribute to. The reward for me is the site continuing and the community itself.

I would be surprised if most rank 5+ members didn't contribute at least $10 given how much we spend yearly on this hobby
Sales Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 11:36 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I should clarify by saying I used that example to show that guilt plays no part in both choosing to offer a way to donate, or donating. The host offers the option, people will or wont donate.

What you said about wiki is right, you want to give back based on the amount you use, but you aren't pressured to. It's a person to person thing, which is why I think Griff should just pull the trigger and get this setup going - users wont be restricted from the site if they dont pay, so there wont be any backlash.

YOLO.
"Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Last edited by Borgeman; 14th September 2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:38 AM
Megatran

Lets say for arguments sake, it cost $3k per annum in operating cost. Member donations of $10 will only make up a portion of the target funds. There's gonna be a $ gap, or the prize draws are gonna be a key feature in fundraising.

I hope I'm wrong & we generate a massive war chest.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:40 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Count me in! I've really enjoyed being a part of this community and having somewhere safe to talk about my interests with like-minded people. I'm happy to contribute if it helps to keep the board alive.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:18 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

yup. count me in.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:41 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

wow... it costs you an arm and a leg to run this site annually Griffin!!!

however you decide to enforce it, i'd be happy to contribute
Old 14th September 2015, 02:02 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
Lets say for arguments sake, it cost $3k per annum in operating cost. Member donations of $10 will only make up a portion of the target funds. There's gonna be a $ gap, or the prize draws are gonna be a key feature in fundraising.

I hope I'm wrong & we generate a massive war chest.
Without saying how much I intend to donate, $10 is presumably the lowest possible donation amount? I would think there are a few of us willing to donate much more than that.
Sales Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 02:14 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Count me in gents
Old 14th September 2015, 03:15 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Love the concept, and I would definitely be keen to contribute $$ and anything else that may help make the boards economically sound. I know the AU$$ sucks right now but if there is a way I can assist with sourcing or some such please do let me know.

I also like the idea that you would possibly generate enough cashflow to help develop the presence of the fandom. Tables at conventions, etc is a GREAT idea and the dream of running an Ozformers major event is awesome.

My only question is in terms of a "payment for entry" competition are there any state/federal laws or licensing surrounding this you need to be aware of? (in HK you need a license to run "paid" competitions even if they are for charity donation)

I also hope you have calculated enough to recoup the paypal and any debit fees as well.