Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Info and Activities > Board Info, Member Intros & Suggestion Box

Sightings/Sales

Old 14th September 2015, 03:23 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

well, it's doable, 371 ish active members
If we all bought an energon cube it would cover the running costs comfortably and leave a lot of room for prize purchasing and even war chest development. though I wonder how many of those 'active' members are regularly logged on.

If half that number contributed $10 it would cover a majority of the running costs.

I like the idea and I support it.
My tentative foray into Reviewing Movie Human alliance Characters: Coming Soon
Old 14th September 2015, 03:44 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I've just done a bit more digging in the members list,

153 users logged in today
298 in the last week and
367 in the last month.

interesting stats.
My tentative foray into Reviewing Movie Human alliance Characters: Coming Soon
Old 14th September 2015, 04:08 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
Love the concept, and I would definitely be keen to contribute $$ and anything else that may help make the boards economically sound. I know the AU$$ sucks right now but if there is a way I can assist with sourcing or some such please do let me know.

I also like the idea that you would possibly generate enough cashflow to help develop the presence of the fandom. Tables at conventions, etc is a GREAT idea and the dream of running an Ozformers major event is awesome.

My only question is in terms of a "payment for entry" competition are there any state/federal laws or licensing surrounding this you need to be aware of? (in HK you need a license to run "paid" competitions even if they are for charity donation)

I also hope you have calculated enough to recoup the paypal and any debit fees as well.
Bladestorm raises a very interesting point here surrounding the legality. I haven't really looked into it but off the top of my head, and this is based on NSW laws, this is unlikely to require a license to operate.

However, I would suggest a very carefully worded explanation regarding the manner in which any prize giveaways occur and I would also suggest that you ensure that cubes are a bi-product of the donation and that cubes are revocable at any time for any reason, solely determined by you. In other words, people are donating freely, its not paying for a cube which in turn gives them the ability to win a prize.

I'll have a little bit of a look into this in my own free time but I can probably assist in drafting relevant clauses if you need a hand.

You also don't want this to get into a whole business v hobby thing which gets the ATO involved... I know we are not talking a lot of money here but those guys can be a massive pain for no reason.
Sales Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 05:22 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

I thank everyone for the comments & suggestions so far. It is helping fine-tune this proposal before it is rolled out (so that it can actually work without needing to be reworked later on the run).

The Competition legality angle was something I have in mind, but if it comes down to it, I would structure it in a way that would maybe turn it into subscribing (with a Cube) to a dedicated prize-drawing section for that month (and just restrict people to just one entry per drawing). That way, members aren't spending to actually enter a competition, but are gaining access to a special section of the board that has competitions that are free to enter to whomever has "subscribed" to that section during that month. (the prize(s) for that month will be announced at the start of the month if there is a drawing for that month, and members could then post in that topic that they want to subscribe to the prize-drawing section for that month - and a Cube would be deducted from their account if they have one... and if a particular prize is very popular to be raising "too much" money, I would then be inclined to add extra prizes to make it fairer)

It's a work-around, but should prevent it from meeting the legal or corporate definition of a paid-entry competition.

As for the purchasing of Cubes, it would indeed be stressed that people are not buying anything physical or guaranteed anything in return for their purchasing of "virtual" Cubes... and that they are non-refundable, so don't buy too many at a time.

The stats for this site makes it hard to estimate what amount this might raise in just annual donations, or from "subscribing" to prize drawings.
The "active users" figure is just people who have logged in within the last 7 days... and I don't expect too many that are less active than that to buy/donate. And optimistically I would imagine only half of the active users would donate, which would raise $1000-1500 of the $2000-$3000 in annual expenses.
The difference (and money for promotions and site upgrades) would then need to come from prize drawing "subscriptions".
Old 14th September 2015, 07:06 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I would still suggest that you don't refer to it as purchasing cubes. I would recommend you say that a donation is made and that a reward, revocable at any time, has been provided by way of cubes per $10 donated. I know it sounds like it's the same thing but it's not.
Sales Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 07:26 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

If you think that is less likely to get us in trouble, I can word it that way.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:13 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Maybe have a chat with Tiby about legal questions?

Transformers collection: 2060
Old 21st September 2015, 09:16 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I have a problem...

Where are the bloomin' payment details already!?
Old 21st September 2015, 10:22 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

There are some discussions occurring off-site at the moment, which has resulted in something that will be structured more as a donations scheme... which then needs to work around that to create incentives like the prize drawings and priority access to benefits and exclusives to donors.

The current version of the process (still under negotiation) is this...

Ozformers Donations scheme - Energon Cubes.
This site costs between $2000-$3000 per year to maintain and keeps getting more expensive each year.
Since the costs have been covered by one person so far, it has been necessary for some time to allow members to donate money to keep this site running as the costs grow. Finally we have a donation scheme mapped out that is voluntary, transparent, and rewarding to those who donate.

- Since it is new, it will be trialled for the first 12 months (starting October 2015).
- Donations can only be made by members who are Basics, Dedicated, Deluxe or Staff not running prize drawings.
- Donations are to be made in lots of $10.
- Each $10 donation is rewarded with a (Virtual) Energon Cube. A "Cube" is not a physical item, and should end up earning rewards or access to future planned things, but does not guarantee or entitle you to specific rewards. They are also non-refundable, so don't buy too many at a time. You will have plenty of time to buy more if something comes up later that you need a "Cube" to access it with.
- The first Cube for each 12-month period is deducted for the running costs of the board, and for you to gain first access to any future Ozformers Exclusive items. If donations generate more money than the running cost of this site, I will look for additional rewards for the donating members.
- A listing of donors (only) would be posted on the board with the current number of "Cubes" in your account for transparency. Members without Cubes will not be listed, as this is a voluntary scheme and non-donors will not be pressured into donating.
- The listing would be posted in a new "Donations and Prize-Draw" section that will not be visible to guests, and updated periodically as payments come in and as Cubes are deducted. I will have a physical copy to make sure that the info isn't lost if the board goes down.
- Payment can be by Direct Deposit or Paypal, but will need your username noted so that I know who has paid what, and posted in the member listing topic to help with transparency and keep track of payments. If there is no notation of username on the payment I will do my best to work out who it is from, but will not advertise it so that it isn't claimed by someone else.
- The new "Donations and Prize-Draw" section will also have posted up month-long random-draws for prizes that are announced at the start of the month. Donors can subscribe to the topic by posting their interest before the end of that month (or specified closure date), and the subscription will cost a single "Cube". Subscription to that topic earns you ONE free entry to the drawing of that prize. Drawings will be random and noted how it is done at the time of the drawing.
- Other promotional items will be made available to those with "Cubes" as they are known (from Hasbro and other promoters). If items are donated, they will be prizes for Cube holders in the Prize-Draw section. If Ozformers exclusive items are commissioned and paid for to produce and sell, the priority will be given to people who currently have "Cubes" in their accounts but NOT cost "Cubes" (because prices would already be set based on their number & availability).

So basically, people can donate as much or as little as they want (in multiples of $10). Of that, only $10 per year is donated to the running costs of this site, and the rest of your "Cubes" are in your account to be used for prize entries and priority access to anything I can manage to organise for our 20th anniversary, and beyond.
Old 21st September 2015, 10:40 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Sounds good bossbot, i'm in for some donations. so when are you putting up the details for payment?

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!