Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 1st March 2017, 11:05 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

PSA: DO NOT BUY A GTX 1070 or 1080 NOW!

They both got price drops today and the various Aussie retailers have not passed on the savings yet. The reason for the price drop was the introduction of the GTX 1080 ti at the old price of the standard GTX 1080.
Old 2nd March 2017, 07:28 AM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
PSA: DO NOT BUY A GTX 1070 or 1080 NOW!

They both got price drops today and the various Aussie retailers have not passed on the savings yet. The reason for the price drop was the introduction of the GTX 1080 ti at the old price of the standard GTX 1080.
That sounds about right. I caved and finally upgraded to a 1060 (1070 was a bit over my budget) only a couple weeks ago...
Old 6th March 2017, 01:24 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I bought a 970 not too long ago, It performs at Ultra exceptionally on anything I throw at it so happy enough with it. Chances are I will probably skip this generation of graphics cards as I only upgrade when my present card can no longer handle games at Max settings. I project my 970 will do fine for at least a couple of years more, perhaps more.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:31 AM

My poor 660 couldn't quite handle the newer games anymore, so I figured it was about time to upgrade
Old 10th March 2017, 01:04 PM
Rank 3 - Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
So it can be safely assumed that AMD Ryzen's 8C 16T variation AMD is showing off will be a subpar gaming CPU just like the Intel 6900K AMD is aiming it at. I wish AMD would show off something that would compete better against the top gaming CPU the 6700k and it's upcoming replacement the 7700k. Even if AMD gave me a 8C 16T Ryzen for free I wouldn't install it because it be worse at gaming than my 6600k.
Hey Hi Delta!

You should really check this video out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

basically looks at un-optimised performances of the old cpus (due to intel monopoly share) and how performance of the same old chips (crappy bulldozer) has increased in FPS vs the same intel chips that were leading.

Goes on to clarify about new architecture, and AMD manufacturing for all consoles will ensure AMD Ryzen architecture will be optimised.
Old 12th March 2017, 12:14 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

^

Oh I hate that guy, not watching his videos. Nothing against you Voodoo, just don't like that YouTuber.

Anyway as we have seen from benchmarks the 1800X trails way behind the 7700K at 1080p with a Titan XP, which is the only valid resolution to test a CPU at because higher resolutions introduce a GPU bottleneck. Where Ryzen shines is in task like media encoding. Also AMD seem to have pushed Ryzen out before all the stability bugs have been ironed out.

As someone that wants to push every last frame I can Ryzen in it's current state is a poor choice. When the Ryzen 5 CPU's hit the market it will be interesting to see if the 1500X the 4C 8T part will have higher clocks allowing it to compete with the 7700k, but I'm already committed to the Z270 platform so it will be purely academic interest from me.
Old 26th March 2017, 05:14 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

So, if you're buying a Ryzen CPU and thinking "WTF why is my AIO cooler not AM4 compatible?" it looks like you can blame AMD as they didn't bother to inform the company Asetek, that makes almost every AIO on the planet, the specifications for AM4 and don't even have an official spec for water coolers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705YHr1DyMw

/facepalm
Old 20th April 2017, 11:27 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

So I got two Seagate 4tb hard drives from Umart. One of them is DOA and now I have to sent it back at my expense. Would it kill Aussie retailers to pay for return shipping when the user is not at fault? That's one thing I'm looking forward too with Amazon launching here, free returns.
Old 21st April 2017, 01:11 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Legally you should be able to get reimbursement from the retailer for your costs there
You may want to check up on that
Old 21st April 2017, 10:14 AM

DELTAprime: check this website: http://consumerlaw.gov.au/

The 'Mandatory text' is:

"Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure."

Perhaps you can receive "compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage", the loss being the shipping cost.

As you're in Queensland, you can contact the Office of Fair Trading for more information: https://www.qld.gov.au/law/laws-regu...on/contact-us/