Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?
Chinese 21 28.00%
Greek 2 2.67%
Hungarian 0 0%
Italian 5 6.67%
Japanese 5 6.67%
Maltese 1 1.33%
Spanish 4 5.33%
Tagalog 7 9.33%
Other 19 25.33%
I like machine language (none) 11 14.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th March 2017, 09:55 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Continued from here:

Some US spellings actually go back to their original sources. e.g. "color" is spelt without a 'u' because that's exactly how it's spelt in its original Latin. Standard English spells it with a 'u' because the word arrived in English via French. They refer to autumn as "fall" because that is the original English word for that season. "Autumn" is actually Latin via French. The funny thing about Standard English is that "autumn" is the only Latin-based season name that we use - Spring, Summer and Winter are all original English words. If we were to use Latin then they'd be Autumn, Vern, Estiv and Hibern. Which is why the mid-season solstices are called autumnal, vernal, estival and hibernal respectively. The Americans made things more consistent by restoring "autumn" back to its original Anglo form, "Fall."

Americans also unclipped vowels that English speakers had come to clip.
e.g.
Library = we say "lye-bree", Yanks say "lye-breh-ree"

Although American English has also re-clipped itself in other parts, such as:
Interesting = we say "in-chress-ting," Yanks say, "inner-ress-ting"
Internet = we say "in-ter-net," Yanks say, "inner-net."

Other interesting examples beyond English include:
* European vs Canadian French
* Dutch vs Afrikaans
...etc
Old 17th March 2017, 10:03 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

It's interesting how some people are able to sing in languages that they can't speak - and often sing it very well. A friend of mine is an excellent singer in Japanese but can't speak Japanese. At first this came across as strange to me, but then again I imagine that a lot of people who sing operatic songs like Nessun Dorma probably don't speak Italian either. And far fewer singers of O Fortuna would be able to speak Latin. And there would certainly be a lot of non-English speakers who can sing in English.

P.S.: It's kinda funny how the counting of how many languages a person can speak seems to fluctuate between Latin and Greek in English.

Speak 1 language = Monolingual
Speak 2 languages = Bilingual
Speak 3 languages = Trilingual
Speak 4 languages = Quadralingual
Speak 5 languages = Pentalingual (full Latin would be "Quintilingual")
Speak 6 languages = Hexalingual (full Latin might be "Sexelingual"?)
Speak 7 languages = Septalingual
Speak 8 languages = Octolingual
Speak 9 languages = Nonalingual
Speak 10 languages = Decalingual (full Latin would be "Decelingual")
Speak 11 languages = Undecalingual ("Undecilingual"?)
Speak 12 languages = Dodecalingual ("Duodecilingual")

...and I suppose a person who speaks 0 languages might be Nihilingual

This is why I point and laugh at anyone who claims that English is an 'easy' language.

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 18th March 2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:16 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

This amusing video demonstrates why Google Translate doesn't work
Old 9th June 2017, 11:47 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Trump's understanding of world languages is truly astounding. First covfefe, and now his post about Greek.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:44 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

RE:

I was initially translated this as Pax per sympathiam, but 'sympathiam' is technically a Greek word which was only absorbed into Medieval Latin, not Classical Latin. In other words, "sympathiam" appeared after the fall of Rome, and thus it would not have been a word that the Romans would've ever used. There's technically nothing wrong with "sympathiam," but I just personally prefer to use 'pure' Classical/Roman Latin. This is not at all meant to be bagging out on Medieval Latin, but just my personal preference.

"Misericordia" in Latin means pity, mercy, compassion, love or kindness. It is actually a compound of two words - misereri (pity) and cor (heart). Coincidentally you'll notice that the Japanese word for 'empathy' (共感)... look at the second Kanji, 感. The top radical (咸) is used for its phonetic value (かん), whereas the bottom radical (心) means heart. And 感 basically means 'feeling' or 'sense.' 共 means 'with (others)' or 'together' -- e.g. 共学 = co-educational. So 共感 might literally translate as 'to feel or sense together with others' - in other words, to empathise.

Words in English which are descendant from misericordia are:
+ misericord = the relaxation of monastic rules
+ misericorde = an act of clemency, mercy or pity

English doesn't have any words that come from "cor" (heart). The word 'heart' is English, and 'cardio' is Greek. But of course, other languages do, such as French - as seen in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, or Basilique du Sacré-Cœur in French. As you can see, the Latin "cor" has evolved into "cœur" in French.
Corsican = core, Italian = cuore, Spanish = cuerdo etc. -- it's remained unchanged in Portuguese where it's still "cor."
Old 12th August 2017, 03:16 PM
Megatran

Anyone speak Jive?
Old 13th August 2017, 01:35 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
Anyone speak Jive?
https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...-jive-dialogue

Buahahahahahaha!!!!
WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Crankcase, Carnivac, Chainclaw, Snarler, Sky High, Iguanus BOTCON/CLUB: ? CHUG: Frenzy, Eject, Broadside, Topspin, Perceptor, Slugslinger, Misfire, Chaos on Velocitron, Overlord,ANIMATED: Soundblaster PRIME(HASTAK): Thundercracker BEAST WARS NEO: Autojetter GT: GT-04 GT-R Saber
Old 11th September 2017, 11:05 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

The other day I was at ToyMate buying... toys. And the lady in front of me was providing her details to use her Toymate discount, and when asked for her surname she said, "DeJesus," pronounced as "Deh Jeezus." As the cashier was typing this in, I said to her, "You're mispronouncing your name on purpose so that you don't have to spell it out every time, aren't you?" She chuckled and agreed. Obviously if she were to pronounce the name correctly ("Deh Heh-zoos") then she'd have to spell it out 90% of the time. It's obviously just easier for her to say "Deh-Jeezus" even though it's technically incorrect.

But at least there's an easy Anglocised way for her to say the name that's easy for Anglophones to spell. Some Irish given names on the other hand!
Old 11th September 2017, 11:39 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

On lil big shots there was a four year old russian who could speak seven languages! 😮
Old 13th September 2017, 08:37 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
On lil big shots there was a four year old russian who could speak seven languages! 😮
http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.p...&postcount=198