Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Australian Transformers Convention

I went with my then girlfriend (now Wife), I was amazed at Griffins collection, and thought he was out of his mind transporting it all down to Sydney just so other people could look at it.

I wasn't a member then either, and it was only a long while after I joined that I realised that was even a related event.

I would love to see something like botcon here, but I'm not sure we have the population density to make it viable.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Isn't it funny we all were there, the usual suspects hehehehe and not one of us knew each other then but we are all now meeting each other on a quarterly basis now heheheh plus any arranged in between social activities (picnics, monopoly games, mini meets)

I remember it was dirge who first talked to me there -well he was manning the entrance heheheh. He actually told me about OTCA while I was ogling the collection ( drooling in the inside). I was staying clear from Gok then, coz well you know, he was playing with a dark saber prop and swinging it like a madman heheheh - he also had a yellow Cybertron Ramble with him.... gee my memory works well when it comes to TFs hehehe Also I think Skyshadow won the trivia game
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    I remember it was dirge who first talked to me there -well he was manning the entrance heheheh. He actually told me about OTCA while I was ogling the collection ( drooling in the inside). I was staying clear from Gok then, coz well you know, he was playing with a dark saber prop and swinging it like a madman heheheh - he also had a yellow Cybertron Ramble with him.... gee my memory works well when it comes to TFs hehehe Also I think Skyshadow won the trivia game
    It felt like a lifetime ago .... but in fact it wasn't really that many years in the past.

Griffin's collection was / is amazing. I also have fond memories of the previous convention in Ashfield, with fan subbed Japanese TF episodes. LOL.
    Last edited by Sam; 3rd May 2013 at 08:44 PM.

My first contact with anyone here was in 2003 I believe at Supanova. Goki and dirge were manning a stall there and if I recall correctly there was a diorama of the 'Death of Optimus Prime'.

I didn't actually sign up here until 2006... don't know why.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Your memory serves you right! It was indeed Sydney Supanova 2003!

Holy crap... has it been 10 years already?!?

We had several toys on display. They were:
    + Toy cast of our exclusive comic "On Devil's Ground" (e.g. Road Rage, Crosscut, Venom etc.)
    + "Death of Optimus Prime" diorama
    + Beast Wars battle scene diorama
    + Brave Maximus (in robot mode standing at the front corner of our booth)

I got JafCon black G1 Optimus Prime back in 2000, which was nothing more than a black Optimus Prime (albeit a rather nice looking metallic black). But it was packaged in the exact same box as the regular reissue at the time; same tech specs etc. So I decided to repurpose this toy as "Matrix Death Convoy," and set up this diorama. Even now I still consider this toy as that (thus it's resides on my 1986 Autobot shelf, and not my 1984 Autobot shelf ).

Alas I don't have any photos of the Beast Wars diorama which is a shame. One thing we did was to give Rhinox two chain weapons, and we also used a bit of blu-tac to attach the buzzsaws onto the front of the guns to make them look more like the mini-guns that he uses in the cartoon. We also used some twist ties to make Airazor look like she was flying IIRC. We also used a rubber band to attach the Matrix onto Hot Rod's body (positioned in the middle, then we just posed his hands on either side). Optimus Prime's 'deathbed' is actually my old VHS copy of Transformers The Movie with the jacket insert removed (an ironic touch).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Holy crap... has it been 10 years already?!?
    That's exactly how I feel
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I remember that now. Did somebody have a G1 Megatron there? I remember transforming him while discussing the Prime diorama

Hey I was just talking to some friends about a rumour that is going around the scenes. Apparently one of the smaller conventions (certainly not the hub and after reading posts of Jena thinking the hub would jump in would we want them to after last years Melbourne one with Stan Lee line?) that they were considering doing a mecha convention to combine all the smaller mech coloured under one roof. So if this goes ahead and I can keep an eye out (and ear) and if I read or hear any new news I can post it up here for you guys.
    I over heard this info while at the cock tail party for heroes and villains last year. One guy was talking to one of the head organisers about the idea and he was really interested in the idea. I remember the guy had a massive transformer tattoo on his back and they took a photo of Steve Blum next to him with the tattoo in the picture.