Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers Assemble!

I can't take Fin Fang Foom seriously anymore since the ToyFare parody where Goku and Krillin ripped off his "Dragonballs" (then ate him to 'conceal' the evidence)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    it does not really bother me as spidey/wolvie in it the are not really "original" avengers... if anything it is missing Hank Pym's Giant man..
    And the Wasp. The founding female member. Hopefully she's in the film she was just too small to be noticed in the trailer.

Speaking of which, I saw the 3D teaser trailer this morning and thought it looked amazing. The only thing that still bothers me a little is that Chris Evans looks too young to be Captain America.

I tend to think of Steve Rogers as older than he is, but he was probably about 25 when he joined the Avengers (if he was 18 when he was recruited into the US Army) in the proper Marvel Universe, and Tony Stark should be older than him. Maybe the time on ice aged his face a bit in the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    And the Wasp. The founding female member. Hopefully she's in the film she was just too small to be noticed in the trailer.

Speaking of which, I saw the 3D teaser trailer this morning and thought it looked amazing. The only thing that still bothers me a little is that Chris Evans looks too young to be Captain America.

I tend to think of Steve Rogers as older than he is, but he was probably about 25 when he joined the Avengers (if he was 18 when he was recruited into the US Army) in the proper Marvel Universe, and Tony Stark should be older than him. Maybe the time on ice aged his face a bit in the Marvel Universe.
    I think in Captain Americas case is that he is more mature/wiser for his age, he was in a war where you would have to grow up fast. And then you have Tony Stark who is older but with the maturity level of an 18yo.

Cool

So with The Avengers (Avengers Assemble) out soon, which marvel characters would you like to see in the following movies?

Ironman 3 (2013)
    Captain America 2 (2014)
    Thor 2 (2014)
    Avengers 2 (2015)
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

reviews

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=57776

and

Obviously I walked in with sky-high expectations. Especially with the reactions the past couple of days, I wasn't sure it could meet them. It completely blew me away.
    The story is a fun one, pretty basic plot structure with perhaps a few unexpected, shall we say, "tweaks". But the movie's heart lies in its characters. It is a true ensemble, in every sense of the word. Every character feels so fleshed out and three dimensional, you won't need to have seen the previous flicks to appreciate it.

Iron Man is Iron Man. He's sassy and snarky and just when you think he's a total dick he does something so selfless and noble. If you had a problem with his performance and arc in Iron Man 2 because he was never "off", he never let the stakes get to him and had a moment of sincerity, you won't have that problem here. RDJ's performance here meshes the fun and the sincere so well, it's great and it's hilarious and it's memorable in all the right ways.

I know some people found Evans' performance in Captain America bland. He was very Superman-esque: stoic, unflappable, heroic. Dare I say, pouty. True to the character but not necessarily what some audiences are looking for. Here, he's allowed to play. His interactions with these characters bring out all the best in him, both the strong noble leader and the fun jokey action hero. His arc in the movie is clear and it pays off in big ways in the film's third act.

Ruffalo's Hulk is fantastic. I'll just be blunt with it. He makes some very interesting decisions performance wise that give the character a very interesting dichotomy between an uneasiness and a total comfort. He's the one who you'd probably think wouldn't fit in a team movie, but the chemistry Ruffalo builds with the rest of the cast makes it seem so... inevitable. Huge crowd pleaser, people who hated the previous Hulk movies will love him here.

Thor is basically stepping in right where his solo movie left off. That character and that performance from Hemsworth was so effortlessly entertaining, such a star making turn. His chemistry with the others is so much fun, his moments with Hulk specifically deliver in big ways and he is never once shown as anything other than a powerhouse. I know that's been a concern

Scarlett Johansson was given nothing to do in Iron Man 2. I'll just come right out and say it. She was handed a character with no personality and one action scene and told to deliver. Well, not here. Black Widow is as integral to the team as the four big names. Her backstory is delved into a bit, and it's not as clean as most superhero's are. Johansson gives a very memorable performance and people who couldn't care less about her previously will probably be singing a different tune.

Can't really say much about Hawkeye and his role in this film without dipping the toes into spoilers. But even though he's not necessarily involved with the team through the whole movie, Renner has you cheering him on as much as the others when he finally is. You won't once question why a guy with a flippin' bow and arrow is so highly regarded by people with such influence and power.

Tom Hiddleston's Loki is a monster. He just is. He goes from pontificating about lowly humanity to snarling and stabbing and killing with such ease. It's very much an extension of his performance from Thor. But he's moved on from the cuddly confused frost giant in Thor. Dude's a bad mother****er.

Samuel L. Jackson is given the unenviable task of playing a character that is a riff on himself. He handles it with aplomb. He creates a character who feels powerful but helpless, a man in charge who ultimately has no say. It's the first time I've seen him truly act in a decade. Welcome back, Sam.

Smulders, Gregg, Skarsgard and Paltrow are all good in supporting roles. They have their moments and they handle them well. But this is an 8-man show. No one's overshadowing the big guns here.

The film is structured wonderfully, it's a bit of a slow start but once it gets going it is breakneck, relentless, nonstop, brutal. The third act is like nothing you've ever seen in a superhero movie. It's the ending to one of the Transformers sequels, if said Transformers sequel had taken the time to build stakes and characters and made said final act feel earned. It's long but it flies by. You'll never want it to end.

Flaws? It's got them. What film doesn't? There are 3 or so scenes set in space early on that are fairly cheesy. It's a bit of a slow-starter, the first 20 or so minutes are mostly build-up and not as well paced as the rest of the film. There were 2 camera angles that felt wonky to me, and a single moment of CGI that felt off.

9.5/10. Brilliant. Can't wait to see it again at midnight on May 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by KaRNiV8L PRiME View Post
    So with The Avengers (Avengers Assemble) out soon, which marvel characters would you like to see in the following movies?

Ironman 3 (2013)
    Captain America 2 (2014)
    Thor 2 (2014)
    Avengers 2 (2015)
    Ironman 3 (2013) the real mandarin and fing fang room maybe tie in extremis
    Captain America 2 (2014) winter soldier...
    Thor 2 (2014) Loki strikes back/enchantress
    Avengers 2 (2015) civil war....
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

A movie about the civil war would be awesome... although at least one role would need to be recast as Chris Evans shouldn't play two different characters in the same movie
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Ironman 3 (2013) the real mandarin and fing fang room maybe tie in extremis
    Captain America 2 (2014) winter soldier...
    Thor 2 (2014) Loki strikes back/enchantress
    Shane Black the new director of Iron Man 3 has stated 'no mandarin' as he believes The Mandarin is a racist caricature (I was disappointed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    A movie about the civil war would be awesome... although at least one role would need to be recast as Chris Evans shouldn't play two different characters in the same movie
    I've said it a million times (at least half of those on this site), and this is going to be one of the last, F4 is not owned by Disney/Marvel studios and FOX have had it in a statuses of per-production to simply hold onto the rights.

That said, even if/when they make a civil war movie, who cares who the Human Torch is, he gets glassed in the 1st issue, and is comatosed in hospital for the rest LOL!

Not long now chaps.

I rocked up to work and found the Avenger's Combo pack, and insisted I be shown to see if it is worthy.

Nice box for the popcorn, but what really made go yowsers (aside from the price) was the AWESOME bling on that cup. Man I want one so bad.

It has a fantastic foiled effect. Available from Event, BCC and Greater unions.

Made me wow more than any other movie cup I've seen since the Ghostbusters 2 Glow in the dark one I got

Here is my review of the movie as taken from the movie critics thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Here it is folks, here is my review of The Avengers (40 MINUTES LONG )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzzC-mFrUE8