Default Toy Review - Studio Series LDR Blackout

BLACKOUT
    Series - Studio Series
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - $90
    Approximate Size - 19cm (to top of head), 23cm (total height)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - pale blue, grey, black
    Main Accessories - Scorponok figurine, gun

Thoughts on Blackout:

* As you can see from pics, this is a great looking figure that's the most screen-accurate version we've seen to date. It's oozing with all sorts of details, but I'll let you look at that rather than describing it (a picture tells a thousand words)

* I really like how the tail rotor becomes the weapon.

* The spinning rotor gimmick has been sacrificed and the main rotor cannot spin freely, but this is because two of the rotor hinges need to swing out and sit back in robot mode. This makes the rotors look a lot better in robot mode, looking more like a rotor-cape. So the loss of having a free spinning rotor gimmick is understandable.

* Very much a panel-former (not to be confused with a shellformer). You have to get all of the panels aligned and tabbed in correctly, there's not a large margin for error. And if some panels aren't precisely tabbed in and aligned rightly, then it can affect the way that other panels tab and sit. I found the front part of the rotor housing to be especially nightmarish to tab in. Ended up having to go several steps back to retab the fuselage panels and then reattempting the front rotor housing panels. Literally spent more time on these two panels than on the rest of the freakin' toy!

* The two shoulder tabs that connects the shoulders to the body in robot mode don't tab in very deeply or securely as I'd like. They hold fine for display but are prone to popping out during play. It's not as bad as Deluxe Brawl (2007) but I'd expect better from a 2018 Leader Class figure.

* Does Scorponok fit anywhere in robot mode? Scorponok also doesn't store as securely as on the Deluxe figure. This is because it relies on tabs to hold it in place instead of having a lock-up cage. It makes Blackout's chopper mode look much better, but the downside is that the tabs aren't as secure as the cage so be mindful of this.

* The rear section of Blackout is hollow and there's nothing to cover up Scorponok. I don't personally mind this - on a Leader Class figure I think there's little they could do to cover this. The toy is paneltastic enough as it is, but it might bug some other people.

* Overall, as I expected, this toy is great but in relative terms it's not much better or worse than the smaller and cheaper Voyager Class figure. The Voyager is not as visually or aesthetically pleasing, but it is a much more solid figure in both robot and helicopter mode. For this reason I kinda still prefer the Voyager because I personally prize playability (the core function of a toy) above display aesthetic. But the Leader Class is fine for play too, but arguably weaker compared to most other Movie Leader figures (granted that half of these are Primes ). On the whole I think that this toy is worth its Leader Class price point (which is $10 cheaper than most other Movie Leaders ), but as a toy I'd say it's somewhat recommended. While still an incredibly nice toy it's been the least impressive of the Studio Series toys that I've seen so far.

In the movie rotating rotors he uses, are his tailblades not his main rotor if any one is wondering
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 8th April 2018 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Thoughts on Blackout:

* Does Scorponok fit anywhere in robot mode? Scorponok also doesn't store as securely as on the Deluxe figure. This is because it relies on tabs to hold it in place instead of having a lock-up cage. It makes Blackout's chopper mode look much better, but the downside is that the tabs aren't as secure as the cage so be mindful of this.

I saw some reviews saying he can peg into the back section via a post?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    I've seen those too. Not sure if Gok has missed a trick here.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    I did it with mine... Photos when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    I did it with mine... Photos when I get home
    Awesome! I spent most of my weekend marking tests so haven't had time for a good enough play with this figure. Good to know.

Thoughts on Blackout:
    * The two shoulder tabs that connects the shoulders to the body in robot mode don't tab in very deeply or securely as I'd like.
    I thought I was going to break the left shoulder on mine for the first transformation because the tab was too tight!

Getting gooder with transforming this beast with practice. Timed myself last night - just transforming at normal pace (not trying to do "speedforming" or anything like that). 8 minutes and 33 seconds.

Getting gooder with transforming this beast with practice. Timed myself last night - just transforming at normal pace (not trying to do "speedforming" or anything like that). 8 minutes and 33 seconds.
    How many out of 10 on a scale of Beast War Rattrap to ROTF Leader Prime?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.