Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GI Joe Resolute

Thumbs up GI Joe Resolute

While I've been anticipating the GI Joe live action movie, I have to say I've been evern more keen to see the new GI Joe Resolute Cartoon series which was promised in prieviews to be closer to the comic than the previous toons.

And now finally the first 3 webisodes have been released and in my opinon they do not dissapoint. Two classic 80's characters dead in the first episode, wiping out an whole city, No holds barred ninja stabbing and Cobra Commander is actualy scary. It certainly a long way from previous Hasbro tie in cartoons.

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJAZ...eature=related
    Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cO0A...eature=related
    Episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16neq...eature=related

Best GI Joe cartoon ever and its only 14 minutes long so far.

Why can't Hasbro give us something like this for Transformers? Would've been way preferable over Animated. (-_-) I would've even preferred something on the level of The Clone Wars which is more kid-oriented than what GI Joe Resolute appears to be, yet less cringeworthy than Animated (IMO).

Here's hoping Hasbro will do something like this for the next TF series now that we know that they're packing shop with Animated.

haha, your comment nailed it Gok

I quite liked this. I would prefer this over the movie, an ongoing series would be more interesting than a 90 minute movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint
    haha, your comment nailed it Gok
    If GI Joe Resolute becomes successful, all the arguments of Transformers being a kid's toyline, while true, would become moot because G.I. Joe is also a kid's toyline aimed at the same demographic market!

Just so long as the series doesn't drag on with endless chase scenes and boxhole TF continuity into some awkward dead end like turning Cybertron into a giant garden.

It's quite an unusual move for Hasbro to allow its creation, they've even made a handfull of figures for it. I suppose they were all swept with GI Joe fever during the 25th Anniversary. As has been said It does seem in every way the antithesis of Transformers Animated

Beyond being more mature, its starts of with things already established rather than rebooting the GI Joe universe entirely,and seems to draw a little from all continuities, though particularly the comics and all of them Marvel, Devils Due and even a little IDW it could almost be a continuation of any of them....almost.

Well, I've never watched or "got" G.I. JOE before but those 3 episodes were great! I started searching youtube for the 4th episode but alas it is not there yet These little episodes are my cup of tea.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If GI Joe Resolute becomes successful, all the arguments of Transformers being a kid's toyline, while true, would become moot because G.I. Joe is also a kid's toyline aimed at the same demographic market!
    However, this cartoon is not, in fact, aimed at the same demographic market.

Also, I fail to understand the maturity of this cartoon, which from the comments here appears to stem mainly from buttloads of people dying and Cobra Commander being scary.

Of course, maybe I should actually watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post

Also, I fail to understand the maturity of this cartoon, which from the comments here appears to stem mainly from buttloads of people dying and Cobra Commander being scary.

Of course, maybe I should actually watch it.
    Yes watching it would probably help.

You are correct that the show is aimed at an older market being part of Adult Swim's lineup.

The show was rated TV-14V in the US because of its somewhat graphic depiction of violence. It's different from the cartoons of old where everyone used laserguns and the badguys just got stunned. Snake Eyes delivering killing blows and setting a trap using a dead/unconscious Cobra trooper is not the sort of thing you see in most kids cartoons.

Wether or not the story line is more mature remains to be seen, but If you want to get into a general debate about maturity and how it pertains to the world of film and television that's a whole different can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon
    Umm... yeah, that's the point. (-_-)

This cartoon demonstrates that Hasbro is willing to allow a cartoon to be made for adults based on one of their toylines which they are marketing at children. Transformers is also a Hasbro toyline which they market at children, hence I'd like to see a Transformers cartoon that is marketed at adult fans just as G.I. Joe Resolute is clearly marketed at adult Joe fans, and not primarily at the children who buy the toys.

Ever since the end of Beast Wars and Beast Machines, we've received nothing but kid-oriented cartoon series for Transformers - and the justification has long been the fact that Transformers is a brand/franchise that is primarily for children. Although Animated has recently improved, I was put off by Season 1 and parts of Season 2 due to the juvenile nature of the writing - and again, the rationale given was, "it's for kids." But G.I. Joe Resolute has now established a whole new precedent which I'm really hoping that Hasbro will follow up with Transformers.

We know that Season 3 will be the final season of Animated and that, for better or worse, Hasbro is wrapping that series up. So I'm personally hoping that Hasbro will follow up with the next TF series being more adult-focused like Resolute.

If not, I will happily settle for a half-adult focused series like Beast Wars (and like Clone Wars, although I reckon that's more of a creative decision from Lucasfilm not Hasbro). Of course, the last time Hasbro gave us a more adult-centric Transformers TV series we got Beast Machines, which ultimately failed for various reasons... but I think that following in the footsteps of G.I. Joe Resolute ought to do better than Beast Machines because it's starting a whole new fresh continuity, yet keeping true to the core nature of what makes G.I. Joe successful. Beast Machines' problem was that it was too ambitious and took Transformers to an entirely new level that wasn't popular with a lot of fans. It also suffered from some character-continuity issues (e.g. Rhinox suddenly becoming evil and Megatron suddenly being "good" for absolutely no apparent reason). But so long as Hasbro avoids those mistakes and learns from the strengths of G.I. Joe Resolute and applies it to Transformers, I don't see why it shouldn't be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed
    The show was rated TV-14V in the US because of its somewhat graphic depiction of violence. It's different from the cartoons of old where everyone used laserguns and the badguys just got stunned. Snake Eyes delivering killing blows and setting a trap using a dead/unconscious Cobra trooper is not the sort of thing you see in most kids cartoons.
    It'd still pass for prime-time in Japan. Imagine if they did G.I. Joe or Transformers in a similar style as seen in the adult animé time slot (usually shown close to or after midnight) that they have there and produce stuff with the level of violence of Hellsing. (Advisory: Link points to video clip rated MA15+ by OFLC)
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 22nd April 2009 at 10:06 PM.