Thread: Badge ID :confused:

Default Badge ID

This is a G1 badge released in 1985. What did it come with?

I don't recognise it, and didn't think a fanclub existed back then... unless the STARS base thingy was officially labelled as a club. I'm curious to find out where it is from, if it is from an official source.

How do you know it is from 1985?

It could be an early version of the Japanese Fan Club's badges. From 1986 to at least 1988 they looked like this:

Unfortunately the Transformers Wiki has been erroneous on this for... (looks at history)... the past eight years, when it says:

"The Japanese Transformers fan club also included a cardboard command base which many label the "Japanese S.T.A.R.S." This is inaccurate. The Japanese command base was a cardboard environment for the toys to play in, not a roleplay center, and there was no equivalent of the S.T.A.R.S. story in Japan (at least as far as the fan club went)."

The base they're talking about:

Came with all sorts of stuff covered in a familiar acronym:

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I don't recognise it, and didn't think a fanclub existed back then... unless the STARS base thingy was officially labelled as a club. I'm curious to find out where it is from, if it is from an official source.

How do you know it is from 1985?
    On the back it reads

- Some Japanese which doesn't show very well in a photo (well my iphone anyway).
    - Copyright Takara.co.ltd 1985
    - "Trans Formers" is a licensed trademark of Hasbro Bradley Inc

I have a feeling Sky Shadow is correct about it being an early version of the Japanese Fan Club's badges.

That's interesting then, as it was the year Transformers started in Japan, giving kids there a club to join up to straight away to get them hooked.
    The Hasbro STARS "club" came out in the third year in Hasbro countries if I recall (I got mine in mid-1987 and remember it having a lenticular membership card instead of a badge).

I wasn't too sure if Hasbro or Takara had ever set up anything officially labelled as a "fan club" before 3H set one up in 2003. (or before we were authorised as a fanclub by Hasbro Australia in 1996)
    Takara I would believe, as they are more fan-focused with their products and interaction... but the STARS thing was a one-off thing, so didn't really fit a "club" concept (which is more of an ongoing, membership thing).