Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to collecting

Default New to collecting

Im a big Transformers fan (G1) and decided to collect the toys, mainly the masterpiece line (only japanese, not Hasbro).

At a Toys R Us i have been able to find a Ultra Magnus MP 22, Cybertron Commander Convoy MP 10, and Star Sabre MP 24

All up it will cost me around $850.

The figures are all behind a glass cabinet/cage thing and i have been told they are in good shape (figures and boxes) and its not second hand. This is interstate btw so i am relying on my sister to have a look and see if its all good.

What worries me is that i know Ultra Magnus has been out of stock for a long time and will be re-issued soon.

Should i go ahead with this purchase?

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Toys R Us should be a last resort unless they have a mega sale. Their MP prices are always inflated.

MP10 should be a lot cheaper here.
    https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures...y-reissue.html

Ebay is a good place to look for old MP's. Prices can be competitive especially when Ebay does one of their sales.

Yeah, might be cheaper to get MP-10 Convoy and MP-22 Ultra Magnus online?

HobbyLink Japan still has them available (Magnus is the Feb reissue, but they can hold items for you for up to 3 months, so you can combine orders and ship together when they're all in stock)

Convoy, around $212 AUD:
    http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT39840/Sci

Magnus , around $174 AUD:
    http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT80320/Sci

Cost of shipping them together is around $65. (Also, MP27 Ironhide is out this month in Japan so you could chuck that in your order too)

Can't help with you with a cheaper Star Saber though. Is he still $300 at TRU?

I mean, if you're ok with TRU's prices, and the items you're buying aren't returns, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Thanks guys.

You saved me some money. I have decided to purchase these items from Hobbylink Japan

Just curios. I placed my order with HLJ and got an order confirmation email from them.

In the email it states:
    "Since you have chosen "Private Warehouse" for your order handling, available items will be billed and held for you in your Private Warehouse until you request shipping. Preordered or backordered items will be billed and moved to your Private Warehouse as they come into stock."

However when i go to the HJL website and check my order history it shows nothing. When i go to my private Warehouse it says "your private warehouse is currently empty". However below that box there is another box that is called Private warehouse and it states "items ordered but not yet available".

Im guessing the sales guys need to process my order or do i need to do something manually?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieVectorSigma View Post
    Thanks guys.

You saved me some money. I have decided to purchase these items from Hobbylink Japan

Just curios. I placed my order with HLJ and got an order confirmation email from them.

In the email it states:
    "Since you have chosen "Private Warehouse" for your order handling, available items will be billed and held for you in your Private Warehouse until you request shipping. Preordered or backordered items will be billed and moved to your Private Warehouse as they come into stock."

However when i go to the HJL website and check my order history it shows nothing. When i go to my private Warehouse it says "your private warehouse is currently empty". However below that box there is another box that is called Private warehouse and it states "items ordered but not yet available".

Im guessing the sales guys need to process my order or do i need to do something manually?
    Don't worry, you don't have to do anything. It just takes a little while to update and be visible your account. If you got the confirmation email it means they've got your order.

Items that are instock and you have paid for will be listed in the Private Warehouse box.
    The "items ordered but not yet available" box just shows your preorders.

Also, if you have something on preorder, when it comes into stock on the site sometimes your orders won't be visible while they're updating your account.
    Or, annoyingly, the item appears to be listed as 'discontinued' in your account. It's not cancelled! It just means all their stock came in and they're distributing it to each account that has an order. I don't know why they do that, it freaked me out at least once haha.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

The forums here are pretty awesome and you can get heaps of advice and help for starting your collection.

I started a couple of years ago.. i thought i was starting late

If you want, i have MP12-T Tiger Track i want to sell for $120 transformed once and in perfect cond.

Also if you find something on ebay that seems really really cheap, it's most likely a knock off. Knock Offs (or KO) are bad.. stay away!

have fun on the forums!!

Thanks for the response guys.

Just a quick question, which store is it better to order these items from? HJL or AmiAmi?

AmiAmi is a bit cheaper, but my (quick research) has shown that HJL uses plastic air bubble bag things when sending these items out, while AmiAmi mainly uses paper.

,My main concern is that i dont want these toys damaged when sent to Australia, or the boxes have dents/destroyed.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by AussieVectorSigma View Post
    Thanks for the response guys.

Just a quick question, which store is it better to order these items from? HJL or AmiAmi?

AmiAmi is a bit cheaper, but my (quick research) has shown that HJL uses plastic air bubble bag things when sending these items out, while AmiAmi mainly uses paper.

,My main concern is that i dont want these toys damaged when sent to Australia, or the boxes have dents/destroyed.
    Lucky draw my friend, you can bubble wrap and still come damage and is all up to postal services.

Hlj may be a bit dearer but their shipping charge can be cheaper.
    Service wise hlj will entertain you more than amiami would if anything goes wrong

It helps if you are not a box collector as slightest dents would just upset you.
    Last edited by drifand; 27th January 2016 at 12:19 PM.

I have tried amiami with MP cars only and they all came in very good condition and boxes are also very mint. HLJs prices are usually a little bit more but you are allowed to cancel your order

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой