Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New War for Cybertron cartoon for Netflix in 2020

Default New War for Cybertron cartoon for Netflix in 2020

Very interesting news today from IGN

Netflix has ordered a new Transformers anime prequel series, Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy, and it will premiere in 2020.

Netflix and Hasbro have partnered with Rooster Teeth to bring War For Cybertron to life and Polygon Pictures will act as the animation studio.

This new show promises "a new animation look and style that presents the Transformers like you've never seen them before."
    More details (but no pics or anything yet) at the IGN link above.

Probably better than going to Machinima again for their current Generations toyline... but similar to Machinima, this Generations cartoon will start over a year after the toys have been released, so if it features any toys from the 2019 Siege line (all those main cast characters that are out now globally, that won't still be in stores by the middle of this year), it's wasted advertising. (the announcement is more for the Retailers info than us fans, as this will allow Hasbro to convince Retailers to take on WFC toyline because there will be "advertising" through a cartoon... eventually)

I am glad transformers have put something new (hopefully for kids) on Netflix. I know not everyone has it but it is on-demand and probably more accessible than foxtel. My kids rewatch their favorite series multiple times and the lore sinks in.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Well we don’t have the internet download for Netflix so hopefully it crops up elsewhere.

I know it’s gojng to be promoting Seige toys after the fact but it might also be a testbed for if they decide to do an all-animated Movie on Cybertron like the Bumblebee director has alluded to

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Well we don’t have the internet download for Netflix so hopefully it crops up elsewhere.

I hope so too, but unless they release a physical copy, do netflix programs ever show up on other networks or free-to-air?
    I'm fearing that it will as difficult to acquire or view here as Japanese or Chinese TFs cartoons.

Not so much but they do, the Netflix Voltron has been on ABCKids for instance. They also release Netflix shows on DVD.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I am glad transformers have put something new (hopefully for kids) on Netflix. I know not everyone has it but it is on-demand and probably more accessible than foxtel. My kids rewatch their favorite series multiple times and the lore sinks in.
    They've mentioned that this one will be targeted at Fans, with the Cyberverse series the one for kids.

Seeing that some of the Machinima writers are working on this has me worried.

Seeing that some of the TF Prime guys are working on this also has me worried (though this may please some).

I will remain cautiously optimistic as to what this series will be. I'm hoping that it's got a great narrative utilising some of the lesser characters from G1 and just using the Siege name for cross promotion.

That said, since the Siege name is in there, I'm hoping to see Flywheels take centre stage... man that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Probably better than going to Machinima again for their current Generations toyline...
    Machinima has been 100% shut down, so Hasbro can't go to them.

It's been shut down in such a weird way though that people are expecting the owner of the brand to have the Machinima name put on something new.

I'm going to be optimistic. I'm a big fan of some of Rooster Teeth's work and if they bring that to Transformers I think it will be amazing.

bowspearer Guest

Gotta be honest, if the animation style is similar to what was done with Gen-Lock, I'm not going to be a fan of it.