• Only if cheap

4 33.33%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No, not really

2 16.67%
  • Not interested at all

5 41.67%

Thread: Toy Review - Platinum Edition Movie Anniversary Unicron (Pic Heavy)

Default Toy Review - Platinum Edition Movie Anniversary Unicron (Pic Heavy)

Toy Review - Unicron w/ Kranix
    Series - Transformers Platinum Edition
    Sub-line - Transformers The Movie 30th Anniversary
    Size/class - Supreme + Minicon
    Wave - n/a
    New/remould/redeco - redeco of 2011 25th Anniversary Unicron
    Released here - not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - US$169.99 (at BBTS)
    Approximate Size - 37cm (Unicron), 5cm (Kranix)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Planet (Unicron), Moon (Kranix)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Electronic lights, launching projectiles, can hold 30+ Minicons.
    Main Colours - Orange, blue, silver (Unicron), grey, red, orange (Kranix)
    Main Accessories - 6 small missiles, 1 large missile, 2 planet shell parts, 2 outer ring parts, Kranix.

Packaging Photos:

As with all of the Platinum Edition Movie 30th Anniversary figures / sets the packaging art on Unicron is fantastic, if only the boxes weren't so big it would be worth keeping all of these, kind of disappointed that I didn't.

Package Contents:

Along with the Unicron and Kranix figures, you also receive two bags containing instructions (two languages) and accessories.

Kranix Figure:

A redeco of the Dead End figure that came with the original Armada Unicron, Kranix is a mini-con that transforms into a "moon" or "armed sentry" for Unicron.

Unicron Figure

No real changes from the previous versions of the mold in terms of design or transformation. Assembly of the wings and outer rings is required, and the missiles need to be placed in position. The missiles are spring loaded and can be fired. Contains 4 x 1.5V A76 batteries to facilitate glowing eyes and a light up fist.

Transformation:

Transformation is advertised as 19 steps, about 5 of which are folding the hands into the arms, so really 13 or 14 steps. Essentially cross the arms in front, fold the legs back, join the outer ring parts together and attach the wings as the outer planet shell. The "planet" is flat on the bottom, not really ideal for those wanting a spherical planet but at least it sits nicely for display. There is a place on the front of the planet for Kranix to sit, and moving the horns in and out makes the "teeth/chomper" on top of the planet open and close.

Overall:

A Unicron figure that we've seen before, but an imposing figure nonetheless and a fine representation of the character - I suppose if it isn't broken there is no need to fix it. If you don't already have a Unicron then it would certainly be worth buying as long as the price is reasonable (i.e. if it appears at Myer for $300, then no!).

Complete Platinum Edition Movie 30th Anniversary figure set:

Last edited by lfpnrg; 26th January 2017 at 12:30 AM.

Comparison pics with Armada Unicron: (30th Anniversary on left, Armada on right)

EDIT: (Oops, just noticed the above pic is around the wrong way, Armada is on the left)

Last edited by lfpnrg; 26th January 2017 at 08:48 AM.

Great pics and comparison shots. Thanks for posting!

I have the Energon Unicron which is a repaint of the Armada one. Looking at the last two pictures, I wish my one had the same head sculpt as the movie version.

Wow that Platinum collection look great together!

I have always liked how the arms on Unicron transform together, it reminds me of the movie transformation.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Not sure if it was widely available in Australia, but this version of Unicron is quite similar to the 2011 version of Unicron (which I do own). The major difference seems to be the blue colour on the legs and planet shells, which is lighter on the new version. Krunix and the head sculpt are the same.

I don't think the 2011 retool of Unicron was sold here. IIRC we've only ever had two versions of this mould: the original Armada figure (which was a slow seller) and the Energon redeco (which was a shelfwarmer).

Quote Originally Posted by lfpnrg View Post
    If you don't already have a Unicron then it would certainly be worth buying as long as the price is reasonable (i.e. if it appears at Myer for $300, then no!).
    Considering that I bought my Armada Unicron from Myer for $145...

By the way, obviously this is great for those who don't already have this 13 year old toy, or the updated version of the mold, but I really feel Hasbro could have done better here. The Arms Micron Gaia Unicron has never seen widespread western release. Pair it up with a Galvatron inspired redeco of Prime Megatron and you have a pretty cool pair of Transformers that can combine. I feel that would have been a nicer special anniversary pack than a fourth redeco of an admittedly cool but very old toy.

The Dead End Minicon works better with Unicron in terms of play value. It acts as a satellite which can "orbit" Unicron by attaching it to any of the ports on the ring, or it can be an additional cannon attached to Unicron's planet mode itself. Or it can be a smaller planetoid for Unicron to "devour."

I personally think that the Arms Micron Gaia Unicron toy is a bit ordinary myself. It's essentially a "partsforming" accessory pack for any Voyager Class Transformer and its alt mode is just rubbish. I much prefer the original Armada Unicron. The Cybertron Unicron toy isn't bad either (although I've repurposed that toy as Unicron Acolyte ), but the AM one is by far my least favourite Unicron toy.

I like the proportions of the AM Unicron. The thin lines and curves are a highlight of Prime designs in general.