View Poll Results: Worth Getting the Back in Black Soundwave?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yeah "Let loose from the noose" this guy looks awesome

5 45.45%
  • I'll proably pick him up at some point if I can ever get that ACDC song out of my head!

1 9.09%
  • Yeah it's ok but I'll probably give this guy a miss

3 27.27%
  • Nah, I really don't like ACDC or Darkside Soundwave

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - JP Advanced Darkside Soundwave - AD17

Default Toy Review - JP Advanced Darkside Soundwave - AD17

Darkside SOUNDWAVE

Series - Lost Age Advanced Line
    Sub-line – Movie Advanced
    Wave: Wave 2? - 2014
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of DOTM Soundwave
    Released here – No
    Approximate Price - AU$35-40 + postage
    Approximate Size – 14cm
    Allegiance – Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
    Main Features/Gimmicks – None
    Main Colours – Black, Black, oh and Silver
    Main Accessories – None

ROBOT MODE:

Sings: "Back in black I hit the sack
    I been too long I'm glad to be back"...

...ahem, sorry about that Soundwave is back in black and let me tell you he looks absolutely stunningly superb!! The black and silver deco on this guy really works and completely blows away the bland washed out grey that he was for the DOTM toy. His body is well proportioned with arms and legs being in scale with his body and no excessive backpack weighing him down making him top heavy. His hands are sculpted nicely with finger nails too (not your plain closed fist). If I had to fault anything it would be the roof panel that hangs down between his legs at the back, but that's it really.

VEHICLE MODE:

Another very good looking representation of a modern luxury car in the form of a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. This mold looks excellent in black and the techno honey comb detailing adds a nice finishing touch to this mode. Soundwave folds up fairly tidy inside with only his head being the obvious robot part when you flip it upsides down. Nice silver painted rims. Only painted head and tail lights though.

TRANSFORMATION:

Soundwave is moderately difficult to transform, but like most, once you have done it a few times it becomes easier. There were two steps I found a little challenging (when converting back to car). The first being getting the roof panels to extend out. I found them quite tight and thought I might break the fragile plastic windows if I exerted to much pressure. A bit of fiddling and re-arranging of other parts eventually got this sorted for me. The Second was getting his arms in the correct position (I actually referred to the manual for this ) but was able to sort it out quickly after this once I realised the arms needed to rotated as well as needed to be in a Z formation to allow enough clearance for the car to roll on its wheels. Those aside Soundwave actually has a fairly fun Transform. I especially like the way you fold the side panels of the car around the to make the bottom and sides of his feet

ARTICULATION:

Not a lot on this guy. Head can move 360˚as do his arms at the shoulder sockets (but his kibble does hinder this a bit). Elbows allow the fore arm to move 180˚from straight out in front to straight out backwards and his biceps can be rotated 360˚. He has 360˚ rotation of the legs at the hips ball joints (but again his kibble hinders this) but no movement at the waist, however his quads can move 360˚ for extra pose-ability. The knees can bend 90˚ forward or back but nothing for his feet other than they can be adjusted straight up or down slightly if needed.

OVERALL:

This is a really nice figure with stunning robot and car modes. The only negatives would be the roof design which could of been rectified with an extra pin to help it fold up a bit more and the lack of a weapon (not sure why they didn't bundle something in with him to hold ) I would definitely recommend picking him up even if you already own the DOTM (grey) version as this Redco blows that version away!

PICS:

Nice review mate! After reading it I went and preordered SW with BBTS

I want one now

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Nice review mate! After reading it I went and preordered SW with BBTS
    Thanks Mate...I find it kinda fun. Just wish I had more time to do more...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I want one now
    Go on, Trev Did

I've been umming and arrrring about getting this for about a month. I already have the regular Silver one. Unsure about the silly paint patterns in car mode. Might get it eventually.

Can't wait to get my hands on him. I would have him by now if I wasn't waiting on items to go in my PoL.

what are those things on his forearms?

Speakers, presumably, or something else related to receiving/broadcasting soundwaves. They look more like speakers on other versions of DOTM toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I've been umming and arrrring about getting this for about a month. I already have the regular Silver one. Unsure about the silly paint patterns in car mode. Might get it eventually.
    Yeah, the paint job on what we would be a sweet alt mode puts me off.

Thanks for the pics tho, I was getting close to pulling the trigger on one
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Mine arrived yesterday. He is REALLY nice.