View Poll Results: Is MP-20 Wheeljack worth buying?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 92.59%
  • No

0 0%
  • Only if....

2 3.70%
  • Not interested

2 3.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review: Masterpiece MP-20 Wheeljack

I'm really dissapointed that Wheeljack's white is largely bare white plastic. He looks so unfinished in alt mode next to his MP Car mates.

That said he's still a fantastically engineered toy that is distinct enough from the Generations deluxe to make worthwhile owning.

I agree. He needs some detailing or paint apps on the shoulders and legs. I was surprised that the back of the legs are actually more detailed than the front.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I agree. He needs some detailing or paint apps on the shoulders and legs. I was surprised that the back of the legs are actually more detailed than the front.
    yeah... his hip got more detail on the back! ...that why i did a quick swap around after unscrewing that section ....looks heaps better now

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    yeah... his hip got more detail on the back! ...that why i did a quick swap around after unscrewing that section ....looks heaps better now
    Oh sheesh, you're not kidding. I didn't notice that because I was too busy fawning over him! Can't unsee!

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I'm really dissapointed that Wheeljack's white is largely bare white plastic. He looks so unfinished in alt mode next to his MP Car mates.
    On my shelf (ie not on close inspection), i really can't see much difference between the white cars.
    I was a bit pissed off today as mine had a green tampo smudge near one back wheel... but a cotton wool bud and some eucalyptus oil cleaned it up nicely!
    I probably wouldn't have been able to do that if he'd have been painted!

He does have a tricky tampo print - the striped design and high contrast makes errors so obvious - but thankfully they've done a pretty good job with it overall.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

My first car mp with minor paint imperfections.
    Got a small ding near his hands exposing some black like you reverse your car and scratched your bumper. Luckily some white paint covers it and make it look good again.

I am fearing the qc of the mp line have not been great at times, the datsuns still have my vote as the best painted as they do not go lazy on the white for wheeljack here.

Awesome figure if you pre ordered early and bought it at under $70 delivered.

Quick thoughts:

* Overall a fantastic toy. Fantastic range of articulation.

* Part of me wishes that the tail light panels could swing down so that they end up on the bottom of the hands (i.e. resting against the pinkies) to make them look more G1-like. But admittedly that would interfere with the hand's ability to hold anything (which G1 Wheeljack never could).

* The G1 fanboy in me finds it just downright weird to be able to look at the back of Wheeljack's head. For 30 years now I've become accustomed to seeing part of a rear window grill on the back of Wheeljack's head, and now I'm faced with an actual proper back of his head! Whoa. Although turning the head around 180 degrees does arguably make the MP head look somewhat more G1 toy accurate.

* Yeah, it's a bit plain in some parts, but the cartoon model is even plainer!

* The white plastic doesn't look nearly as nice as the painted whites on other MPs, most notably MP Prowl. But having said that, Wheeljack has a load of other paint operations throughout the toy which Prowl doesn't. My guess is that the use of white plastic might've been done for budgetary reasons due to the additional paint apps. <shrugs> But the painted white parts look more brilliant and stands out against the white plastic parts; so there is a minor lack of visual uniformity.

* The rear window feels like it needs a firmer/better way of locking up into the back of the robot.

Pics ('scuse the poorly lit crappy phone photos)

Earlier today my daughter was handling MP20 in the backseat of my car and dropped one of the wing mirrors. Thankfully I was able to find it, but now I'm thinking about just gluing those suckers into place. It also made me really glad that TakaraTOMY had the foresight to include a spare set of wing mirrors with this toy too! Has anyone else gone ahead and glued theirs in (or are considering it)?

Nah, mine are still attached to the sprue & sealed in their baggy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Nah, mine are still attached to the sprue & sealed in their baggy
    This. Considering Jackie spends most of his time in bot mode, I didn't bother.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain