View Poll Results: MP-11NR Ramjet worth buying?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 61.54%
  • Only if...

5 19.23%
  • Not worth it

2 7.69%
  • Not even interested

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP-11NR Masterpiece Ramjet

Default Toy Review - MP-11NR Masterpiece Ramjet

Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - n/a
    New/remould/redeco - remould/redeco
    Wave - n/a (MP-11NR)
    Released here - released in Japan March 19th 2016
    Approximate Retail Price - 15,984yen
    Approximate Size - 24cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Fighter Jet
    Main Colours - White, Black, Maroon
    Main Accessories - Hologram Pilot, 2 missiles.

Pretty mixed feelings on Ramjet here. To look at, he's very nice. Though mostly coloured plastic, the colours are crisp, bold and a great match for Ramjet. His face is a metallic dark grey - appears as though the stock photos caught too much flash. His sculpt is good though perhaps the face is a little big and curved, more humanoid than robotic. Mine has a couple of rough patches of plastic around the cockpit, and what looks like a bit of smeared glue on the cockpit itself. My front landing gear door doesn't hinge properly either, it just folds right off. In hand, overall it feels a little cheap with some nasty joints on some of the new parts...

To transform, it's a little shoehorned and clever at the same time. The cockpit is handled well - it rotates to sit around the other way on his chest, and the head has no clearance issues at all with this new approach. The wings split in half and while the piece that normally flips the wing upside down remains, it serves no real purpose here. The small red pieces left on the side of his chest end up hindering backwards leg movement (not that it was great to begin with). Plugging in the wings to the arms for jet mode was way tougher than on my MP-11, at first it didn't seem like it will align but eventually it goes in and stays solidly.

The front of the nose and top of the plane end up on his back - pegs and holes from previous versions of the mould remain but aren't utilised now - things just hang and pretty loosely. On the plus side, this version seems to have a tightly locking chest! I'm not really sure how though, it appears to connect mostly at the shoulders, but i don't have my MP-11 to compare if anything changed. I can hold him from the intakes in robot mode and it stays stuck, i know my MP-11 can't do that!

Worst part here is the big section of wings. They're on a slider on the legs, but neither end locks very tightly. The engine hides cleverly but is a pain to get out without a tool. Tilting the wings back is a scary experience! At first i was certain they wouldn't move, and with both sides starting to show stress marks on the pins, I was about to give up. But the pictures definitely had them back... so i tried again and managed to get them tilted.

What you have to do is open the engine hiding spot and support the black section that's at risk of stress, from both sides. If you push from the outer side... it eventually clips around into place. It's one of those hexagonal pieces that's a real bitch to rotate to it's next stop. I'd advise lots of caution! The smaller parts of the wing also move on a similar joint. Something akin to MP Magnus thighs would have been much better.

It's a bit lame, but the wings do aid stability since they're basically touching the ground no matter what you do in terms of posing. The tailfins don't move at all either.

For the price... i think they could have done a little more/better, though they've done more than i expected they would at the same time! I think mostly the mould is just showing it's age - from complete scratch i think they could do a much better job these days. It's nice to have, but for me i definitely prefer MP-11's mould overall.
    Last edited by kurdt_the_goat; 19th March 2016 at 07:58 PM.

Cheers for the review Kurdt!

It's a pity Takara didn't just do a brand new mold given how much he cost, but he definitely is looking good!

I wonder who was in charge of the retooling design?

I really love the jet design and your pics make it look even more badass. Interesting comments about the design flaws, will be testing them out/have a fiddle myself.

that was...more negative than i think i wanted to see having just pre-ordered it lol. i don't have any other seekers so perhaps it won't bother me too much not having anything else to compare it with. oh well.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The eyes need to be brighter, it would have made him stand out a lot.

The eyes are the same red as the wings... but they look darker since they're always in shadow because of his brow.

Spent a bit more time with it tonight and had my Starscream side by side to check the shoulder assembly as noted here.

It's definitely misassembled:

Thankfully it doesn't prevent transformation, but it was the cause of my transformation issues - you'll have a little trouble squeezing his hands past his groin, and have to forcibly attach the wings to the arms unfortunately.

I actually took apart both toys at the torso, to see if there was any remould on the sliding track mechanism (now that it stays in place better in robot mode). I could only see a ~2mm difference in one spot... not big enough to clearly photo. It didn't even really look like enough to make a difference, but something in there does!

I'm happier with Ramjet now than when i got him the other day. I was probably a little down cause really, it is quite an old toy now (copyright 2006!), and I think the issues are probably just a result of rushed design work.

But unpacking my MP Decepticons, and having him join the ranks - it looks great! The white makes him look bulkier than Starscream and i really love the sharp contrast. Starscream has more colour but the grey looks so dull next to Ramjet.

With the amount of seekers the factory churns out you'd think they'd be able to get it right! Particularly as this is part of the base structure of the figure and not one of the new parts made for Ramjet!

Thanks for the breakdown Kurdt!

Yeah i dunno... it's not the first time either! I think MP-07 Thundercracker had reversed nipple thrusters or something and i'm sure there were others too!

Happy to report the shoulder assembly on my Ramjet is perfect -- no misalignment whatsoever! And the overall quality is very good!

The only QC issue I can find is that the white paint is easily scratched -- very noticeable since it's white paint on black plastic -- so definitely be very careful where the paint is concerned.

Otherwise, everything slots in neatly and is nice and tight where it should be! Definitely my favourite seeker (for the moment!).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Happy to report the shoulder assembly on my Ramjet is perfect -- no misalignment whatsoever! And the overall quality is very good!

The only QC issue I can find is that the white paint is easily scratched -- very noticeable since it's white paint on black plastic -- so definitely be very careful where the paint is concerned.

Otherwise, everything slots in neatly and is nice and tight where it should be! Definitely my favourite seeker (for the moment!).
    I was skeptical whether to keep this or sell mine off. but hearing it from you, I think I will keep this and sell off one of my other seekers.